Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whac-a-Mole coming to television  (Read 3882 times)

Loogaroo

Re: Whac-a-Mole coming to television
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2021, 02:45:22 PM »
TPiR used Super Ball for several years. Maybe a version of Whack-a-mole would fit? You have thirty seconds to whack. You win money for each mole and you have to earn enough to buy the prize on stage.

Yes, but TPIR has other games interspersed with Superball that give the show variety. Which is why TPIR is closing in on its 50th season and Whac-a-Mole is likely not going to approach that level.

Producers really need to watch that all-Plinko episode from several years ago to understand why this is a bad idea.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Neumms

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2021, 12:34:54 AM »
Producers really need to watch that all-Plinko episode from several years ago to understand why this is a bad idea.

Or they could watch The Wall.

Neumms

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2021, 12:37:00 AM »
https://www.thewrap.com/slip-n-slide-competition-series-in-the-works-at-critical-content/

I hope they don't forget about Silly String.

Some form of Frisbee competition has probably been on ESPN at one time or another.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2021, 12:52:13 AM »
There was lots of “that was a thing?” Stuff on the air in the weeks after lockdown began.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2021, 01:11:05 AM »
I just had a strange thought.

Take a look at the British Bullseye. Darts is a significant part of the game, because it controls so much of what goes on.

Don’t get me wrong; I still think Whac-A-Mole is an idea that rivals qualifying for the Jeopardy Tournament of Champions through Wheel of Fortune or giving away lavish game show prizes to ten year olds. But if they managed to do it just so, you could probably do something with skeeball as a mechanic in a game show.

Not really saying you could have a hit on your hands, but it’s not totally implausible.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2021, 01:31:59 AM »
You could also use the Whack a Mole skin for a game like Wipeout.
Travis L. Eberle

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2021, 10:08:07 AM »
I was thinking Holey Moley, since it's already in the name.

Yes, but TPIR has other games interspersed with Superball that give the show variety. Which is why TPIR is closing in on its 50th season and Whac-a-Mole is likely not going to approach that level.

They also dropped Super Ball 23 years ago, and the show seems to be fine without it.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2021, 09:17:40 PM »

Or they could watch The Wall.
Or maybe they did. In the wake of the show's debut, a slew of international versions popped up, some of which are still on the air with at least one on the way.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.