Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 7 best/7 worst celebrity game show hosts  (Read 4864 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: 7 best/7 worst celebrity game show hosts
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 08:04:50 PM »
Unpopular opinion alert:

I don’t like Craig Ferguson as a game show host.

I felt he added nothing to CNG and he isn’t much better on The Hustler, which I also felt wasn’t very well done.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2021, 08:15:06 PM »
When it aired on Lifetime, I thought Ruprecht was earmite annoying, but now I see a spark of humanity in him and realize the writers and producers made it as dumb as it was.
I seem to recall you weren't a fan of Marc Summers either. 

In re: Leslie, I'm not a fan.  She screams during the show.  The host is supposed to guide the ship, not sink it like the Titanic.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2021, 10:08:29 PM »
Leslie does need to dial it down a few decibels. But that’s just how she is; can’t really change it.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Unrealtor

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2021, 11:29:29 PM »
I assume Brady was excluded because the writer limited this list to prime time. But I would have thought he (and Drew Carey for that matter) would have still qualified because of the nighttime specials. So it was, in my view, an oversight.

How quickly we forget Power of 10...
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Loogaroo

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2021, 04:38:24 AM »
In re: Leslie, I'm not a fan.  She screams during the show.  The host is supposed to guide the ship, not sink it like the Titanic.

The show is very clearly a vehicle for Leslie. That's why she has the extended interviews with the teams at the top of the game, it's why there are various "store employees" for her to interact with, and it's why she does commentary on the Big Sweep and not a disembodied announcer voice.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

cmjb13

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2021, 09:54:34 AM »
I assume Brady was excluded because the writer limited this list to prime time. But I would have thought he (and Drew Carey for that matter) would have still qualified because of the nighttime specials. So it was, in my view, an oversight.

Unfortunately, we can’t no matter how hard we try.
With No Power of 10, there’s no Drew on Price.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2021, 01:08:43 PM »
It’s been 14 years. Might be time to let go of that obsession.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2021, 04:38:01 PM »
It’s been 14 years. Might be time to let go of that obsession.

Not might. Is.

Regardless of how you feel about Drew’s performance as host (and to me, he hasn’t gotten a whole lot better over the years), he’s not going anywhere until he decides it’s time to step aside.

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2021, 07:59:35 PM »
Regardless of how you feel about Drew’s performance as host (and to me, he hasn’t gotten a whole lot better over the years), he’s not going anywhere until he decides it’s time to step aside.
And he's gained a new generation of fans who have no idea who Bob Barker is, and have never seen him host (not counting that April Fool's prank from about 2015).

/That new generation can get TF off my lawn
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chargeradiocom

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2021, 10:11:01 PM »

If so...
Brady still gets the nod from me.
No disagreement here.

Not sure whether you were meaning I forgot about Po10 or the writer of the article forgot. But the article said it was based on current prime time shows, so Po10 wouldn’t be part of this discussion.

(And that’s no disrespect toward Po10. Personally I kinda liked it and thought it deserved to be more than just a glorified screen test audition for Drew Carey. But CBS had other ideas.)

…And speaking of oversights, why isn’t Sajak on one of these lists?

Neumms

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2021, 02:46:19 AM »
I seem to recall you weren't a fan of Marc Summers either. 

Yeah, I’m not crazy about Marc Summers. I should point out that I’ve watched almost no Double Dare, however. (I was in that age bracket when Trebek’s Double Dare premiered.) My opinion is based more on WinTuition and History IQ: two dry shows, one of them awful, that Summers brought no life to.