Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Lady and the Dale  (Read 2772 times)

BrandonFG

The Lady and the Dale
« on: January 31, 2021, 11:30:21 PM »
Tonight, HBO premiered a documentary about Elizabeth Carmichael, a transgender woman who controversially tried to launch a car known as the Dale.

The car never took off, but it gained a ton of publicity, including as a Showcase prize on TPiR*. A brief clip appeared in the trailer, so I can only imagine the clip also aired during the documentary.

*The contestant did not win, so we will never know what could have been...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SuperSweeper

Re: The Lady and the Dale
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 08:40:29 AM »
Glad to see the clip - it's from a nighttime episode that we've had the audio from for a long time (February 11, 1975, segment 4).

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 08:58:56 AM »
Was there credit given to Brad James? I would imagine he was the one who supplied the clip.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 02:26:32 PM »
Back in 2014, one of the executive producers of The Lady and the Dale posted to Golden-Road.net seeking the number of the episode the Dale appeared in, so I would guess that they cleared the clip with Fremantle itself.

Mr. Matté

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 02:30:13 PM »
I noticed in the promos for the show, they did air the TPIR clip though they had a generic announcer V/O when it was shown. Did the actual documentary have actual Johnny Olson's copy or was that dubbed over as well?

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 02:36:21 PM »
Was there credit given to Brad James? I would imagine he was the one who supplied the clip.
I didn’t see his name. There was simply a credit to Fremantle.

The TPiR clip actually led the first episode, along with a news clip from an ABC7 station (KABC?) that mentions TPiR offering the show. That name drop surprised me a bit, seeing as how I thought the nighttime version aired on NBC O&Os.

I noticed in the promos for the show, they did air the TPIR clip though they had a generic announcer V/O when it was shown. Did the actual documentary have actual Johnny Olson's copy or was that dubbed over as well?
They used Johnny O.'s voice in the actual documentary, but I remember the VO sounding different in the trailer too. It sounded like Jay Stewart at first, leading me to believe the car was offered on LMaD.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 03:43:43 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

gamed121683

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 03:47:32 PM »
I didn’t see his name. There was simply a credit to Fremantle.

The TPiR clip actually led the first episode, along with a news clip from an ABC7 station (KABC?) that mentions TPiR offering the show. That name drop surprised me a bit, seeing as how I thought the nighttime version aired on NBC O&Os.

They used Johnny O.'s voice in the actual documentary, but I remember the VO sounding different in the trailer too. It sounded like Jay Stewart at first, leading me to believe the car was offered on LMaD.

Wasn’t there another “unique” car that made it’s debut on LMaD? Not the Dale, but it had gull wing doors that the audience went nuts over (No, it’s not the DeLorean).

Chief-O

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 04:11:15 PM »
Wasn’t there another “unique” car that made it’s debut on LMaD? Not the Dale, but it had gull wing doors that the audience went nuts over (No, it’s not the DeLorean).

The Bricklin----

/just recently posted this clip to golden-road.net, so I kind of knew :P
.....and it goes like this!!!

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 05:11:26 PM »

The Bricklin----

/just recently posted this clip to golden-road.net, so I kind of knew :P
Thank you. This is what caused my confusion. I knew I'd recently seen a unique car on LMaD.

I think that video led me down a rabbit hole where I ended up reading about the Dale.

gamed121683

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 08:33:21 PM »
For those that want more background info about how The Price Is Right became a footnote in this story...

https://jalopnik.com/murder-transsexuals-and-the-price-is-right-the-story-464820740

aaron sica

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 07:48:03 AM »
For those that want more background info about how The Price Is Right became a footnote in this story...

https://jalopnik.com/murder-transsexuals-and-the-price-is-right-the-story-464820740

Just get past the two glaring errors about TPiR and you'll be good.

chrisholland03

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 08:08:42 PM »
Petersen Auto Museum has 'the' Dale, just posted a video walkthrough