The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Bill Cullen Entrances

(1/3) > >>

Argo:
Hi Everyone,

Just curious with all the shows Bill hosted, who's idea was it not to show him walking on camera too much? Did Bill ask not to be shown on screen, was it a producer decision, or was it just assumed or ruled not to show on screen. No doubt the shows Bill worked on were designed around him, but most game shows didn't need a lot of movement on stage anyway. And with the case of Pyramid, Dick would quickly walk to the lectern the same as Bill anyway. Not a completely different entrance.

TLEberle:
Generally the director—he did not ask for different blocking.

chris319:
It was Bill's call. Every experienced game-show director knew how not to shoot his entrances. Producers knew it, too.

--- Quote ---he did not ask for different blocking
--- End quote ---
Were you there? I was.

Adam Nedeff:
From some guy’s book about Bill:

--- Quote ---Mike Gargiulo remembers, “Bill’s handicap was never an issue in the sense that, oh, there’s something that we have to be careful never to mention around him. It didn’t bother him, and we never showed him walking on any shows, but truth be told, it was never because he asked. He never told anybody involved in a show to hide the view of him walking, but we just did that for him as a courtesy. At rehearsals, it was something we kept in mind. We’d go over the directions for the cameramen and someone would say, ‘This is when Bill is going to walk from one side to the other, so as soon as we reveal the prize, we’re going to cut to the contestants and pan across their faces and then cut to Bill and the prize when he’s in place.’ But that was never something he specifically asked of us.“
--- End quote ---

TLEberle:
I was going from what I remembered of Adam’s book.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version