The Game Show Forum > Game Show Channels & Networks

P+ & Alphabetics illegal clues

(1/3) > >>

JakeT:
The ridiculous rule that lets the celebs use an illegal clue to garner an answer with only a $1,000 penalty will bug me for eternity...I am so glad that SP finally fixed this mess...illegal clues should always be a disqualification...allowing this as the did seems almost as loosy-goosy as the original Lightning Round on the CBS version...

JaketT

Blanquepage:
I lost track of PW+ after the episodes started repeating, so not sure which BUZZR aired today, but I'll always have in mind Debralee Scott's Alphabetics with the final "W" password "window". She blurts it out, the contestant says "window", and is awarded $4K. That's when I for one was over it  ;D

JMFabiano:

--- Quote from: JakeT on January 15, 2021, 08:44:28 PM ---The ridiculous rule that lets the celebs use an illegal clue to garner an answer with only a $1,000 penalty will bug me for eternity...I am so glad that SP finally fixed this mess...illegal clues should always be a disqualification...allowing this as the did seems almost as loosy-goosy as the original Lightning Round on the CBS version...

JaketT

--- End quote ---

Wonder what would happen if you gave five illegal clues?  Would that be like five strikes and you're out?  Or does the bank stay at $1,000 till you finish?

TLEberle:

--- Quote from: JMFabiano on January 15, 2021, 09:55:17 PM ---Wonder what would happen if you gave five illegal clues?  Would that be like five strikes and you're out?  Or does the bank stay at $1,000 till you finish?

--- End quote ---
The prize would remain at $1,000 as if the contestant solved each word in a failed campaign.

My summer stock theater counselor won $10,900 in July 1980 on a week with Betty White and Bill Cullen. Betty gave an illegal clue so Ross ended up winning $4,000 instead of $900. Perhaps I'm biased. Perhaps they were trying to differentiate from Pyramid or to salvage a game where an illegal clue would make Alphabetics anti-climactic.

Mr. Matté:
It seems like P+ was a lot clunkier when it handled illegal clues. Referencing Travis's story above, here's the actual episode where the clue was given: Other episodes I've seen there was a long delay after the illegal clue was given (e.g. Rober Urich's "Chocolate chip...") allowing the contestant to correctly guess the clue before the doot-doot-doot-doot was sounded.

At least if a questionable clue was given on SP, you heard a Bobby Sherman "Hold it!" while they looked up the work before continuing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version