Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: J! Guest Host news...  (Read 24905 times)

weaklink75

J! Guest Host news...
« on: January 06, 2021, 02:23:53 PM »
I figured since they'll be quite a few guest hosts before the pernament one is named, one thread for all the news about them would make things easier.

After Ken Jennings, Katie Couric will host for a week:

https://tvline.com/2021/01/06/jeopardy-katie-couric-host-alex-trebek-death/

Ian Wallis

Re: J! Guest Host news...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 10:09:33 AM »
Any comments on Ken's first hosting day?

I thought he did a pretty good job.  I've read other comments that people felt he may have been rushing a bit.  It didn't really detract from the game or anything.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

tyshaun1

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 10:54:57 AM »
I thought Ken was pretty good, considering the weight on his shoulders of it being his first day. He read the clues clearly and succinctly and added a tiny bit of personality to carry the show through. He doesn't have the presence of a host yet, but we'll see if that develops.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 11:28:41 AM »
He looked relaxed enough, despite the weight of the first day. He kept the lectern warm.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 12:08:20 PM »
I was very impressed. He was pretty animated, but I had to remember Alex was the same way the first season. I could see him taking the reins.

/Just gotta watch what he tweets
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Stackertosh

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 01:27:40 PM »
I thought he did a good job hosting.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 01:39:36 PM »
In the context of "guest host," Ken Jennings was a wise choice as the first post-Trebek emcee. A familiar Jeopardy! face to ease the transition.

In the context of "host audition," I thought he handled himself very well. Of course everyone will notice the ways in which he's different than Alex, but the new host can't be an Alex clone. Ken's greenness sometimes showed through, but that's to be expected. The episode still felt very much like an episode of Jeopardy!, which in my opinion, means he succeeded.

At first, I wondered whether the contestant coordinators strongly recommended to the contestants that they take the clues in order to help the new guy out. But then Tanay started jumping around the board, so apparently not. Jeopardy! can cover its edits more easily than most shows, so it's difficult to tell whether there were any glaring pauses or mistakes that had to be covered. (Two unrelated questions about Ireland in Double Jeopardy! felt unusual, but maybe that was just an oversight in stacking.)

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 01:52:45 PM »
Apparently, Aaron Rodgers is getting a shot at guest hosting. Yes, that Aaron Rodgers.

https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1349056749593120768
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

aaron sica

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 01:58:41 PM »
Apparently, Aaron Rodgers is getting a shot at guest hosting. Yes, that Aaron Rodgers.

As compared to Aaron Wroggers? :)

weaklink75

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 02:03:58 PM »
Well why not- Mike Richards said some of the guest hosts weren’t actually auditioning for the full-time gig, but just doing it as fans of the show and to pay tribute to Alex, so we might get one or two out of left field before they decide...

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 02:12:02 PM »
We live in the timeline where Michael Strahan hosts $100,000 Pyramid (very well I might add) while taking up quite a lot of Barbara Walters' onetime workload as a celebrity interviewer, and where Peyton Manning has been attached to a College Bowl reboot (that's being co-produced by Eli and Cooper Manning on top of that)

Aaron Rodgers is a lot closer to the end than the beginning and a lot less of a one-off stunt cast than it might look.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 02:17:13 PM »

As compared to Aaron Wroggers? :)
Well played. :)

And good point re: it being a tribute to Alex. Aaron does mention being a huge fan of the show, and how it played into his decision.

I always saw him going into the booth or behind the desk for pregame/halftime shows, so IMO hosting is not the left-field choice it appears to be. I guess it's just kinda random since football season is still going on, and GB has a game this weekend.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 03:59:24 PM »

As both a game show fan and a Packer fan, I'm totally in.

Re. Ken: Like most of the room, I felt he did a great job. He kept the game moving, read the clues fluidly, and was able to work some personality in here and there.

tvwxman

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 04:10:12 PM »

I'm a huge fan, and I have 25 years of broadcast TV experience. Can I host? You know, just as a tribute to Alex?

We're treading lightly into gimmick TV here. Not a fan of the idea for Jeopardy.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

cmjb13

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 05:00:49 PM »
Well why not- Mike Richards said some of the guest hosts weren’t actually auditioning for the full-time gig, but just doing it as fans of the show and to pay tribute to Alex, so we might get one or two out of left field before they decide...

Hey, why not Drew Carey? He got him on Wheel.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS