Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Same show airing on two different stations in the same market?  (Read 3654 times)

aaron sica

Same show airing on two different stations in the same market?
« on: December 10, 2020, 10:35:51 AM »
I saw in one of my old 1980 TV Guides, "Tic Tac Dough" airing in the morning in New York City, on WABC-7 at 10:30am, and in the evening on WOR-9. I'm curious as to if this situation existed anywhere else.

vtown7

Re: Same show airing on two different stations in the same market?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 11:48:29 AM »
My instant thought would be Harvey Feud... are you looking specifically about stations that are owned by different owners for example Aaron?

Something to add - while not specifically the same show numerous Canadian markets get US Feud (daytime and celeb versions) on their local CityTV affiliate whereas Family Feud Canada airs on the CBC.

Ryan :)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 12:01:22 PM »
In LA, TJW aired on Channel 5 in the daytime and Channel 9 at night.also 3's a Crowd was on both Channel 2 and Channel 4 in fall 79. Of  course , Channel 7 carried Hollywood Squares in prime access while Channel 5 had the other episodes and Channel 4 had the syndie Match Game and 7 the PM version
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

splinkynip

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 12:04:13 PM »
I remember when Tic Tac Dough was airing also on WABC, perhaps for a year or two. I thought it was odd that the show was still in production yet airing older reruns on another local channel. I recall seeing Thom McKee's first show sometime during that run. The reruns may have been later replaced by Card Sharks reruns which aired in the same slot. 

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 12:06:00 PM »
What if two network affiliates are in the same market?  Does that count?  Until the early 90s, the Cleveland/Akron/Canton market had ABC affiliates in Cleveland and Akron.  Game show-wise, there wasn't much overlap on the two channels; daytime game shows were pretty much dead to WEWS by 1980.

Are you talking about the same run of a show on two different stations?  Right now, the primary run of Jeopardy! airs on WOIO, while last season's rerun airs on sister station WUAB.

aaron sica

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 12:13:29 PM »
To clarify - two stations that do not share common ownership.

chargeradiocom

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 02:19:09 PM »
Syndex rules would generally keep it from happening nowadays, duopolies notwithstanding. Though another exception seems to be for rimshot stations on the edge of a bigger market, where the town is kind of in the middle of nowhere but not big enough to have a full complement of network affiliates—i.e., WFLI/Lafayette, IN or WHIZ/Zanesville, OH.

I remember a few years ago (2010 or thereabout), being in a hotel in Lafayette on business, and seeing Wheel playing at the same time on both WFLI and WTHR (Indianapolis). I know that’s probably not exactly where you were going with this topic, but I thought it was a semi-relevant point.

rebelwrest

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 02:56:32 PM »
To take this a little further, how many of you lived in an area where you watch the same syndicated show on THREE different stations.   When I attended the University formerly known as Wheeling Jesuit, I was able to watch Wheel and Jeopardy on WTOV Wheeling, WV/Steubenville, OH, WPXI - Pittsburgh, PA, and WYTV - Youngstown, OH.

/Please don't ask me about the University formerly known as Wheeling Jesuit because I've developed an eye twitch every time they are discussed.
//You have to admit you must have done something bad when the Catholic Church disassociates from you.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 06:14:20 PM by rebelwrest »
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

aaron sica

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 03:54:55 PM »
To take this a little further, how many of you lived in an area where you watch the same syndicated show on THREE different stations.   

I could do this twice, in 1990 and 1991. In 1990, KYW - Philly, WBRE - Scranton, and WLYH - Lebanon all carried Joker's Wild. In 1991, WLYH carried $100,000 Pyramid as did WCAU in Philly and WYOU in Scranton. WLYH was the only Harrisburg-area cable station we got at the time and to this day I'm not sure why the local cable company featured it for a short time (bandwidth testing, maybe?). But there you go.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 06:06:03 PM »
To take this a little further, how many of you lived in an area where you watch the same syndicated show on THREE different stations.   

I'll see your three and raise you with FOUR. During the 1992-93 TV season, in the Mid-Hudson Valley of New York, between cable and antenna I could watch the pair on WABC - NYC, WTEN- Albany, WTZA - Kingston, and WTNH - New Haven. The latter 3 came in via antenna, the first three on cable.

Even then, that was three different airings, WTZA having done a WLIG-style "air them early" strategy where J! was on 5:00 PM and Wheel was on at 6:00. The other three aired them as they do to this day (7:00 hour, J!-first in NYC/CT, Wheel-first in Albany). This repeated itself with some talk shows of the period until WTZA reformatted into the news-centric (and later infomercial-centric) WRNN.

rebelwrest

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 06:31:55 PM »

I'll see your three and raise you with FOUR. During the 1992-93 TV season, in the Mid-Hudson Valley of New York, between cable and antenna I could watch the pair on WABC - NYC, WTEN- Albany, WTZA - Kingston, and WTNH - New Haven. The latter 3 came in via antenna, the first three on cable.

You now reminded me of when I was able to watch Wheel and Jeopardy! in my hometown of Pennsboro, WV on three different stations as well (but not for long).  I could watch them on WTAP - Parkersburg, WV, WBOY - Clarksburg, WV, and WABC - NYC.  The reason WABC was on our cable lineup because the closest ABC affiliate (WOWK - Charleston, WV) didn't want to get into an agreement so our cable just gave us WABC.  Watching WABC proved how the local commercials on WABC were a WHOLE LOT DIFFERENT than our local commercials.  On WABC, we saw commercials for Mercedes and large retail chains.  Whereas featured in our local commercials were the dentist with a total of six teeth, a grandma with a big bushy mustache that sold furniture, and the dead guy that wanted to fix your basement. 

/Call 1-800-LEAKY-BA
//Remember I can't call you. You gotta call me.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2020, 06:55:52 PM »
Jeopardy, Wheel, H2, and Millionaire.

WLIG/WLNY carried all four in concurrence with WABC (J!, Wheel, Millionaire) and its now-sibling WCBS (H2).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

PYLdude

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2020, 08:34:25 PM »
I also seem to remember awhile back that, when someone posted the New York listings, the last season of Hollywood Squares was split between WABC and WPIX.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

golden-road

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2020, 08:54:09 PM »
I also seem to remember awhile back that, when someone posted the New York listings, the last season of Hollywood Squares was split between WABC and WPIX.

Chicago had it too, between WGN and WLS. IIRC, there was some combination of Vegas shows and NBC reruns. I'm not sure how the pattern went.

PYLdude

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2020, 01:17:08 AM »

Chicago had it too, between WGN and WLS. IIRC, there was some combination of Vegas shows and NBC reruns. I'm not sure how the pattern went.

I had a hard time finding it when I searched but if I’m not mistaken, at least here, the stations that had been airing the syndie Squares (WABC had been airing it for at least a couple of years at this point) had some sort of option in place where, if they carried it for the 1980-81 season, they weren’t obligated to do any expanding beyond the two days a week the show was already on. That’s how WPIX got involved. WABC had the show in its 7:30 checkerboard slot with MGPM and Name That Tune, and WPIX had it the other three days (might’ve been in daytime but I doubt that).