Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Favorite Christmas-Themed Episodes  (Read 5182 times)

PPatters

Favorite Christmas-Themed Episodes
« on: November 30, 2020, 09:17:30 PM »
I tried to search to see if this has been discussed and, best I can tell, it hasn’t — but I apologize if I’m wrong. I LOVE game shows and I LOVE Christmas, so what are some of you favorite holiday-themed game shows episodes?

I, for one, always loved the I’ve Got A Secret Christmas episodes. Because the original IGAS was really a panel show combined with variety show, they were always so fun.
Patrick

aaron sica

Re: Favorite Christmas-Themed Episodes
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 09:31:57 PM »
Considering I just changed my fb cover photo today to it, what a great topic this is.

Mine is a 1980 episode of Wheel in which the contestant solves the puzzle SLEIGH BELLS RING ARE YOU LIST'NIN' to the tune of almost $7,000. That's not much cause for celebration now, but 40 years ago it was a pretty big haul, and the contestant bought a car in the main game with her winnings.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 09:42:48 PM »
the contestant solves the puzzle SLEIGH BELLS RING ARE YOU LIST'NIN' to the tune of almost $7,000.
You mean it wasn't to the tune of "Winter Wonderland"?

aaron sica

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 11:30:47 AM »
the contestant solves the puzzle SLEIGH BELLS RING ARE YOU LIST'NIN' to the tune of almost $7,000.
You mean it wasn't to the tune of "Winter Wonderland"?

Well played, sir! Well played.

Kniwt

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 12:05:51 PM »
Not necessarily on the greatest-of-all-time lists, but it's recent and probably wasn't widely seen: Last year's Christmas episode of Danish Taskmaster was hilarious. Streams with English subtitles at the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u-FwHV49PIM8roU-h0O-FcT4nbP0LCdn/view

That Don Guy

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 03:27:38 PM »
I, for one, always loved the I’ve Got A Secret Christmas episodes. Because the original IGAS was really a panel show combined with variety show, they were always so fun.

Agreed - especially the one where Henry Morgan is dressed as Santa Claus. (Especially especially when they reveal why: he's going to deliver the packages underneath the tree on stage to the parents of children who wrote letters to Santa asking for things like clothes)

I also remember a TPIR episode from the Barker era that had a DSW when somebody was within $100 of a showcase that included, IIRC, a Lexus. It was one of the earliest six-digit wins.

PPatters

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 04:31:58 PM »
Agreed - especially the one where Henry Morgan is dressed as Santa Claus. (Especially especially when they reveal why: he's going to deliver the packages underneath the tree on stage to the parents of children who wrote letters to Santa asking for things like clothes)

Exactly. Stuff like this always made me happy. It was the advantage of that era of IGAS — it wasn’t just that they decorated the stage, they really tried to embody the spirit of the season. I mean, I love Christmas weeks on game shows like P+, but they’re mostly just normal weeks with pretty decorations. That wasn’t the case with IGAS.
Patrick

geno57

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 01:46:50 PM »
Many of the very few episodes remaining of the original “Concentration”, are Christmas episodes with celebrities playing for charities. They’re among my faves.

alfonzos

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 06:05:06 PM »
Many of the very few episodes remaining of the original “Concentration”, are Christmas episodes with celebrities playing for charities. They’re among my faves.
Especially, when the producer goes out of his way to find celebrities who aren't already under contract to NBC.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Neumms

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 01:39:00 AM »
Just saw a holiday TPIR home viewer showcase and were those ever neat. This one had a classic car and a deLorean. I remember another when I was a kid of an amazing lucite desk. It'd sure be nice if they decided to do a special week when the showcases weren't one with a car, the other with two trips.

aaron sica

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 07:52:45 AM »
Just saw a holiday TPIR home viewer showcase and were those ever neat. This one had a classic car and a deLorean. I remember another when I was a kid of an amazing lucite desk. It'd sure be nice if they decided to do a special week when the showcases weren't one with a car, the other with two trips.

The prize that I vividly remember from the home viewer showcase is the TV with the two smaller B&W monitors. For years I thought I was imagining it until the reruns resurfaced on GSN some years back. I've also seen it pop up on the PlutoTV reruns.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 09:08:56 AM »
The prize that I vividly remember from the home viewer showcase is the TV with the two smaller B&W monitors. For years I thought I was imagining it until the reruns resurfaced on GSN some years back. I've also seen it pop up on the PlutoTV reruns.

Out of curiosity, I checked eBay and there's one for sale!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SAMPO-model-9519-TRISCREEN-Color-TV-Rare-/223738174046
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

PPatters

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2020, 01:47:15 PM »

Out of curiosity, I checked eBay and there's one for sale!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SAMPO-model-9519-TRISCREEN-Color-TV-Rare-/223738174046

I clicked that link and now I’m already getting emails “are you still interested in...?” Lol
Patrick

rebelwrest

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2020, 02:30:59 PM »
Considering I just changed my fb cover photo today to it, what a great topic this is.

Mine is a 1980 episode of Wheel in which the contestant solves the puzzle SLEIGH BELLS RING ARE YOU LIST'NIN' to the tune of almost $7,000. That's not much cause for celebration now, but 40 years ago it was a pretty big haul, and the contestant bought a car in the main game with her winnings.

That whole episode is wonderful.  Not just because of a car being bought, but all three contestants walked away a BIG winner.  Of course the car winner, the previous champ with over $15K in winnings, and the contestant up until the last puzzle hasn't won anything.  The final spin ended up hitting the $2,000 space.  Nearly everyone was rooting for that contestant to solve the speed-up puzzle, and he did.  He ended up with the lowest total take of the three contestants that day with a measly $4,300.  And the episode aired the day before Christmas.  It's still one of my favorite Wheel of Fortune episodes of all time.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.