Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "College Bowl" returning to network TV  (Read 8669 times)

gromit82

Re: "College Bowl" returning to network TV
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2020, 03:26:02 AM »
What do all the Omaha references mean?

aaron sica

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2020, 08:29:51 AM »
What do all the Omaha references mean?

When Peyton Manning played football, and the team went up to the line to run their play, sometimes you'd hear him yell "Omaha!". After he retired, he explained that he would say that if they had to change the play.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2020, 04:19:38 PM »
Here's the press release- 12 teams in the tournament over 10 eps...

Please let the University of Omaha be one of the teams. Please let the University of Omaha be one of the teams. Please let the University of Omaha be one of the teams. Please let the University of Omaha be one of the teams. Please let the University of Omaha be one of the teams. Please let the

An "audible" bonus question. Its gotta happen.

Neumms

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2020, 07:46:25 PM »
Odd host choice for a cerebral show with lots of reading and heightening drama. Jim Nantz would be the type, though not him specficially. Then again, this show wasn't on in prime time when it ran 60 years ago, and I find Manning's insurance commercials and choice of pizza place repugnant.

weaklink75

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 02:18:19 PM »
Bumping this as we have a start date- June 22nd at 10PM...

https://tvline.com/2021/04/12/college-bowl-reboot-nbc-peyton-manning-premiere-date/

nowhammies10

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 04:13:12 PM »
Honestly, seeing how Aaron Rodgers has been doing on J! gives me more confidence in Peyton Manning's ability as host. I'll reserve judgment for when it actually airs.

ETA: Capital One is listed as the title sponsor, per the logo on Manning's lectern.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 04:24:21 PM »
Honestly, seeing how Aaron Rodgers has been doing on J! gives me more confidence in Peyton Manning's ability as host.
Patrick Wayne and Larry Blyden were both actors before hosting a game show.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2021, 07:12:35 PM »
Honestly, seeing how Aaron Rodgers has been doing on J! gives me more confidence in Peyton Manning's ability as host.

So was Richard Dawson.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

weaklink75

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2021, 08:12:00 PM »

BrandonFG

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2021, 08:48:14 PM »
Pretty substantial stakes too- $1 million in total scholarships awarded..
How nice of them to pay one student's tuition for the semester...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2021, 09:59:58 AM »
So we're just not gonna make an apples to apples comparison and bring up Joe Garagiola, huh? :)
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

nowhammies10

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2021, 10:48:47 AM »
So we're just not gonna make an apples to apples comparison and bring up Joe Garagiola, huh? :)

I forget, did Frank Gifford ever host anything? I know he was a fairly frequent guest on Password.

trainman

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2021, 12:26:16 AM »

Joe Garagiola didn't go straight from playing baseball to hosting game shows -- he'd spent well over a decade in baseball broadcasting and other sportscasting, plus a couple of years as a co-host on the "Today" show, before he got his first game show gig.
trainman is a man of trains

That Don Guy

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2021, 08:50:58 PM »
NBC aired a brief clip during its Kentucky Derby coverage. That show is a lot of things...but it is not "College Bowl." It looks a lot like they took the revised rules for Honda Campus All-Star Challenge (which itself switched from traditional College Bowl rules to the format of a show called Africa Challenge); I saw three-player teams, and they were choosing categories from a board of four.

jalman

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2021, 02:09:24 PM »
NBC aired a brief clip during its Kentucky Derby coverage. That show is a lot of things...but it is not "College Bowl." It looks a lot like they took the revised rules for Honda Campus All-Star Challenge (which itself switched from traditional College Bowl rules to the format of a show called Africa Challenge); I saw three-player teams, and they were choosing categories from a board of four.

(College Bowl clip at 0:36 mark)