Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "College Bowl" returning to network TV  (Read 8650 times)

aaron sica

"College Bowl" returning to network TV
« on: November 24, 2020, 01:38:43 PM »
....Peyton Manning to host "College Bowl" reboot on NBC.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/college-bowl-peyton-manning-nbc-1234621247/

colonial

Re: "College Bowl" returning to network TV
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 01:42:27 PM »
Of all the game shows you could think of that might get a reboot this year, the old "GE College Bowl" would likely be quite the long shot. However, this is not a normal year.

Football great and pizza/insurance salesman Peyton Manning is your host, with he, Eli Manning and the third Manning brother serving as executive producers. Other EPs are Richard Reid (whose father created College Bowl way back when) and Mark Itkin.

I'll be honest, this reboot is completely out of left field. Way out of left field. I could actually see Peyton Manning as a game show host (he has a likability to make it as a TV personality), but I fear this is the wrong show.

JD

snowpeck

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 02:16:28 PM »
Of all the game shows you could think of that might get a reboot this year, the old "GE College Bowl" would likely be quite the long shot. However, this is not a normal year.

Football great and pizza/insurance salesman Peyton Manning is your host, with he, Eli Manning and the third Manning brother serving as executive producers. Other EPs are Richard Reid (whose father created College Bowl way back when) and Mark Itkin.

I'll be honest, this reboot is completely out of left field. Way out of left field. I could actually see Peyton Manning as a game show host (he has a likability to make it as a TV personality), but I fear this is the wrong show.

JD

I dunno, I think it could work. Peyton has always seemed to me to be more intelligent than he's gotten credit for, so maybe this is a chance to prove that.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

weaklink75

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 02:25:39 PM »
Here's the press release- 12 teams in the tournament over 10 eps...

https://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2020/11/24/peyton-manning-set-to-quarterback-new-nbc-battle-of-the-brains-series-college-bowl/

(and I'll give Peyton a chance- his Peyton's Places on ESPN+ is pretty good, and he did graduate with a 3.6 GPA; plus College Bowl is a bit of a different beast than other quiz shows)

PPatters

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 02:41:26 PM »
I'll concede that quiz shows are not my preferred genre of show (outside of maybe Blockbusters and the occasional Jeopardy!), but I have liked the few episodes of College Bowl I've seen on YouTube specifically because I do love collegiate competition (my bias from working in collegiate student affairs). The idea of having Peyton Manning host is actually pretty good, I think, because I think it may encourage people to watch, so I'm eager to see this.
Patrick

That Don Guy

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 02:52:17 PM »

Richard gets an "In Association With" credit on BBC's University Challenge.

According to the press release, the students themselves receive the scholarships. In the original series, the schools did, and could give them to whomever they wanted.

I also wonder if they'll stick to the old restrictions concerning how many graduate students per team are allowed. On UC, they have had schools that consist entirely of graduate students.

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 03:46:37 PM »
Please let the University of Omaha be one of the teams. Please let the University of Omaha be one of the teams. Please let the University of Omaha be one of the teams. Please let the University of Omaha be one of the teams. Please let the University of Omaha be one of the teams. Please let the
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 04:51:03 PM »
If it's like the old college bowl, it will be the announcer saying Omaha. :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

colonial

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 07:02:31 PM »
One thing of note is that the third Manning brother (Cooper) will serve as a "sideline reporter" for the reboot. Presumably he will interview the players before, during and after games.

To say this is a surprise reboot could be the understatement of the year. College Bowl has been pretty much alive in name only in the U.S. for more than a decade (the intercollegiate contests stopped in 2008, and it hasn't aired on TV since the 1987 National Tournament, with Dick Cavett hosting for Disney). As we talked about back when College Bowl ended its campus program, the modern quiz bowl player moved on from the "game show style" of CBI (with shorter, easier questions, variable value bonuses, etc.) to the more academic, challenging fare of NAQT and ACF. Today's current college and high school players -- those who play regularly in NAQT, ACF and various invitational tourneys -- will likely reject this reboot.

But there is an audience who know little if anything about "elite" quiz bowl but who enjoy J!, The Chase, and similar hard quizzes. They have faint knowledge of College Bowl, both the TV show and campus program, if they have any knowledge of it all. NBC should definitely promote the fact that the Manning family will be faces of this revival, but there should also be a strong emphasis of College Bowl 2020 essentially being "J! for teams."

I am curious how this show will recruit teams to represent the 14 colleges and universities. Most colleges and universities are currently virtual only due to COVID and, even if they were on campus, the campus program of in-school auditions and regional tournaments to determine the national field no longer exist. Richard Reid (who owns the College Bowl Company) knows that if the show reaches out to schools with elite quiz bowl teams, the players will likely turn down the opportunity flat. You will probably have to go a different direction to find students from such schools,

And while we can joke about a team from Omaha being in the field, I've seen a few old quiz bowl friends of mine make a prediction on at least one team in the tournament. College Bowl still runs a national tournament for HBCUs called the Honda Campus All-Star Challenge (believe it aired at least once in the 90s on BET with singer Clint Holmes as moderator). During the "campus program" era, College Bowl reportedly discouraged HBCU squads from competing in quiz bowl tournaments and events that were outside the Honda Campus element (No College Bowl regionals/nationals, no open invitationals, etc.). Times have changed, and hopefully attitudes have as well. It would not surprise me to see at least one team in this revival being from an HBCU.

JD   

PPatters

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 08:25:44 PM »
I am curious how this show will recruit teams to represent the 14 colleges and universities. Most colleges and universities are currently virtual only due to COVID and, even if they were on campus, the campus program of in-school auditions and regional tournaments to determine the national field no longer exist. Richard Reid (who owns the College Bowl Company) knows that if the show reaches out to schools with elite quiz bowl teams, the players will likely turn down the opportunity flat. You will probably have to go a different direction to find students from such schools,

I wonder if, since the scholarships will go to individual students, they may cast each person individually, rather than work directly with a college or existing team. Then, once they have their desired number from a school, they can just create the team that way. This also gives them more control (which, as we know, primetime game shows *love*) and helps ensure the diversity you’re mentioning (which pre-existing teams may not have).
Patrick

jage

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 05:19:32 AM »
If the prize is tempting enough, I could see some existing teams jumping at this for the money.

Sodboy13

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 09:28:54 AM »
Bring Matt Ottinger on as a consulting producer, or I send a strongly-worded letter.

Strongly. Worded.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

weaklink75

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 01:40:55 PM »
One thing of note is that the third Manning brother (Cooper) will serve as a "sideline reporter" for the reboot. Presumably he will interview the players before, during and after games.

To say this is a surprise reboot could be the understatement of the year. College Bowl has been pretty much alive in name only in the U.S. for more than a decade (the intercollegiate contests stopped in 2008, and it hasn't aired on TV since the 1987 National Tournament, with Dick Cavett hosting for Disney). As we talked about back when College Bowl ended its campus program, the modern quiz bowl player moved on from the "game show style" of CBI (with shorter, easier questions, variable value bonuses, etc.) to the more academic, challenging fare of NAQT and ACF. Today's current college and high school players -- those who play regularly in NAQT, ACF and various invitational tourneys -- will likely reject this reboot.

But there is an audience who know little if anything about "elite" quiz bowl but who enjoy J!, The Chase, and similar hard quizzes. They have faint knowledge of College Bowl, both the TV show and campus program, if they have any knowledge of it all. NBC should definitely promote the fact that the Manning family will be faces of this revival, but there should also be a strong emphasis of College Bowl 2020 essentially being "J! for teams."

And while we can joke about a team from Omaha being in the field, I've seen a few old quiz bowl friends of mine make a prediction on at least one team in the tournament. College Bowl still runs a national tournament for HBCUs called the Honda Campus All-Star Challenge (believe it aired at least once in the 90s on BET with singer Clint Holmes as moderator). During the "campus program" era, College Bowl reportedly discouraged HBCU squads from competing in quiz bowl tournaments and events that were outside the Honda Campus element (No College Bowl regionals/nationals, no open invitationals, etc.). Times have changed, and hopefully attitudes have as well. It would not surprise me to see at least one team in this revival being from an HBCU.

JD   

I tend to agree about that-Peyton recently endowed several scholarships at HBCU's as well, so it makes sense:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29875854/peyton-manning-charity-foundation-endows-scholarships-six-historically-black-colleges-universities

TimK2003

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 06:02:57 PM »
Please let the University of Omaha be one of the teams. Please let the University of Omaha be one of the teams. Please let the University of Omaha be one of the teams. Please let the University of Omaha be one of the teams. Please let the University of Omaha be one of the teams. Please let the

If it weren't for Peyton's ties with Nationwide Insurance, it would have been fun to see Mutual of OMAHA sponsor the show.

That Don Guy

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2020, 06:33:49 PM »
Hopefully, they do this right - which, in my opinion, consists mainly of:
1. Second Elizabeth (the "classic" theme song - and don't "jazz it up" like Disney did in 1987)
2. The opening and ending whistles (none of this gong or buzzer nonsense)
3. Most important - the clock! It doens't have to be analog, but the players (and the viewers) should have some idea how much time is left. I mainly bring this up because University Challenge makes it a point not to have a clock.