Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: J! production resumes 11/30 with rotating guest hosts  (Read 9660 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Re: J! production resumes 11/30 with rotating guest hosts
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2020, 04:25:34 AM »
Eventually Mike Richards will get his week of hosting the show.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 04:20:41 PM »
Surprised to see Tom Bergeron publicly take himself out of the running via tweet today:
 https://twitter.com/Tom_Bergeron/status/1335267731885547521
@lambertman

weaklink75

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 05:59:16 PM »
Surprised to see Tom Bergeron publicly take himself out of the running via tweet today:

Doesn't he still live on the East Coast? IIRC, CBS really wanted him for TPIR after Barker retired, but he didn't want to do the commute (and they even offered to move the show to NYC, but he wouldn't commit long term and that's why they ultimately passed). He's also 65- maybe he wants to semi-retire (if the right show for him comes up, he'll do it) and doesn't think J! fits his hosting style really well.

tvwxman

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 06:29:41 PM »

Doesn't he still live on the East Coast? I
He splits his time but , yes.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

JakeT

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2020, 06:35:43 PM »

Danica McKellar?  Why, of course, she's the FIRST person I'd think of to inherit Trebek's podium!

**eyes rolling back so hard, I can see muh brain**

JakeT

JakeT

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2020, 06:37:37 PM »

Doesn't he still live on the East Coast? IIRC, CBS really wanted him for TPIR after Barker retired, but he didn't want to do the commute (and they even offered to move the show to NYC, but he wouldn't commit long term and that's why they ultimately passed). He's also 65- maybe he wants to semi-retire (if the right show for him comes up, he'll do it) and doesn't think J! fits his hosting style really well.

While still stinging from being bounced from DWTS, he's probably not eager to take a job where he'd be scrutinzed at a much higher level than normal and crucified by the "no one but Trebek" fanbois...

JakeT

trainman

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2020, 10:36:27 PM »
Danica McKellar?  Why, of course, she's the FIRST person I'd think of to inherit Trebek's podium!

She's known for being smart -- she's famous for having coauthored a paper in mathematics as an undergraduate at UCLA, and she's written several books about math aimed at a popular audience.

Obviously, that doesn't make her a good choice for J! host in and of itself, but I certainly don't see it as an eye-rollingly stupid name for Tom Bergeron to throw out.
trainman is a man of trains

Mr. Matté

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2020, 10:41:45 PM »

She's known for being smart -- she's famous for having coauthored a paper in mathematics as an undergraduate at UCLA, and she's written several books about math aimed at a popular audience.

Obviously, that doesn't make her a good choice for J! host in and of itself, but I certainly don't see it as an eye-rollingly stupid name for Tom Bergeron to throw out.

At least if she's picked, she can say she was alive during the Fleming era. (albeit the last day of the original run)

PPatters

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2020, 11:25:34 PM »

She’s actually a well-known science and mathematics communicator now. Given that, plus her background in acting, she seems like an exceptional choice. I don’t know why she would an eye roll-inducing choice.
Patrick

calliaume

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2020, 01:44:54 PM »
Bergeron's 65 years old. Until recent years, that was pretty much a "you're done" age in game shows. Barker, Sajak, and Trebek all stretched that out, but they were all on long-running shows at the time.

Also, Bergeron has experience with replacing the "definitive" host (on Hollywood Squares), and he did quite well. Would he really want to go through that again, with far more scrutiny?

I get the sense that Bergeron doesn't feel the need to get back in the game.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2020, 10:10:38 PM »
Tom Bergeron is a great host, but Jeopardy! doesn't play to his strengths. He's best suited to a lighthearted environment that offers opportunities to go off-script and find a fun moment -- Breakfast Time was his ideal vehicle.

P.S.: Networks, please give Tom Bergeron another show like Breakfast Time.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2020, 01:23:01 AM »
Tom Bergeron is a great host, but Jeopardy! doesn't play to his strengths. He's best suited to a lighthearted environment that offers opportunities to go off-script and find a fun moment -- Breakfast Time was his ideal vehicle.

Bud Collyer comes to mind as an emcee who could deftly swing between the lighthearted Beat the Clock and To Tell the Truth which called for gravitas. I can't think of another emcee like that.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2020, 01:30:32 AM »
If anyone happens to be in the studio for one of Ken's tapings, let us know what you think.

I thought he came across as a bit smug when he was a contestant.

Consider who the E.P. of the show is. He's not known for high standards when it comes to emcees and would probably like to have the job himself.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2020, 02:26:25 AM »

Doesn't he still live on the East Coast? IIRC, CBS really wanted him for TPIR after Barker retired, but he didn't want to do the commute (and they even offered to move the show to NYC, but he wouldn't commit long term and that's why they ultimately passed).
That's right.  I got the impression at the time that Tom was more or less done with game shows after Squares ended and nothing I've seen since has indicated otherwise.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2020, 01:58:47 PM »

More to the point, I think I'm going to trust Tom Farking Bergeron's expertise on the subject more than Random Fan's.

/and I speak as a Random Fan as well
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe