Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: J! production resumes 11/30 with rotating guest hosts  (Read 9682 times)

BrandonFG

J! production resumes 11/30 with rotating guest hosts
« on: November 23, 2020, 05:21:11 PM »
says production resumes on November 30, with rotating interim guest hosts. First guest host: Ken Jennings.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

weaklink75

Re: J! production resumes 11/30 with rotating guest hosts
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 05:48:30 PM »
I sort of figured they’d go this way- have the rest of this season be on-air tryouts with guest hosts going a couple of weeks apiece, then announce a permanent new host starting September 2021...

colonial

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 05:51:37 PM »
Also, per Variety, Trebek's final episode will now air on Jan. 8. The weeks of Dec. 21 and Dec. 28 will be encores of what the show calls "Alex Trebek's 10 best episodes" to honor him.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/ken-jennings-guest-host-first-jeopardy-episodes-death-alex-trebek-1234838535/

JD

Unrealtor

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 05:52:05 PM »
Also worth noting, per the shows Twitter feed, that Alex‘s last week has been delayed until the week of January 4, with “best of” episodes scheduled for the weeks of December 21 and 28.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

snowpeck

Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

PPatters

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 06:54:09 PM »
I think this is exactly the right way to honor Alex. First, the changing of the dates of his last episodes to reduce pre-emptions is a great idea. Second, I think we all knew that they would probably do try-outs of guest hosts, so that comes as no surprise. Starting with Ken, who is the closest to the show itself of any of the names bounced around (sans perhaps Mike Richards) and is probably the most recognized face associated with Jeopardy! that isn't Alex is also a good way to ease fans into the transition.
Patrick

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 07:46:41 PM »
Have they chosen the rest of the interim guest hosts?  If he weren't in retirement from his age, I would have suggested Vin Scully as a temporary fill-in.  He's had game show experience and is well educated.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

cmjb13

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 09:14:52 PM »
From press release...
Alex believed in the importance of Jeopardy! and always said that he wanted the show to go on after him,” said Jeopardy! Executive Producer Mike Richards.

What an odd comment. The show was going to go on no matter what.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Clay Zambo

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 09:19:24 PM »
These might not be try-outs. They may know exactly who will be the next permanent host, or they may yet be looking; we have no way of knowing and they’re not gonna tell.

But I am reminded of churches I’ve worked for whose regulations state that when a minister leaves the congregation may *not* call a new permanent minister; they are *required* to have an interim period, such that whoever ends up being their next permanent person doesn’t suffer unduly from comparison to the departing one.

Whoever hosts the next newly-aired episode is gonna get creamed by at least half of the fandom, so why not make that person an interim. In this case we already know it’s Ken, but it takes the pressure off him to not be The Next Host, just the guy who’s holding down the fort.
czambo@mac.com

petek66

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 11:18:42 PM »
Would have made more sense to finish the new episodes as planned on Christmas Day since he usually acknowledges
holidays and may even have holiday themed categories. Run the "Best Of" the last week of December and come back with
guest hosts on January 4.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 11:25:10 PM »
Would have made more sense to finish the new episodes as planned on Christmas Day since he usually acknowledges
holidays and may even have holiday themed categories.

It would not make sense, for the very reasoning behind the decision not to do it.
@lambertman

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 11:29:10 PM »
Somebody who might be interested and I think would have the name recognition and gravitas would be George Clooney, since movie making is uncertain right now.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 01:48:55 AM »
holidays and may even have holiday themed categories. Run the "Best Of" the last week of December and come back with
guest hosts on January 4.
It would have and I wish they could. The poignancy of the timing sinking in with the comfort of it being Christmas. Having Christmas themed categories isn't a hard and fast tradition, but has been done in the past five years. And while Jeopardy isn't always topical, Alex does the occasional mention of significant days, of which Christmas will qualify. Mike Richards has stated that the first show of Alex's final week starts with a powerful message about togetherness and family, that I wouldn't be surprised ties into the holiday season.

But as someone alluded to, ABC accounts for over half the stations J! is aired on and, unfortunately, the NBA has had a lockdown on Christmas Day for a few years now. And with something as complex and profitable as NBA's scheduling, it's not surprising that things can't be worked around just because of a game show. While I would've liked a YT/streaming service upload or primetime airing on Boxing Day for those in affected markets, I don't think it would have the same impact as it would airing in its normal timeslot. So. I agree with and understand the decision (like my opinion matters). Perhaps air the shows with an on-air mention of their intended airdates.

From press release...
Alex believed in the importance of Jeopardy! and always said that he wanted the show to go on after him,” said Jeopardy! Executive Producer Mike Richards.

Is it? Sounds like a stock comment that I've heard many directors and producers use in light of the death of a cast member in the middle of a production. Of course the show was going to go on, but after how much time off? Turns out the answer is not much and I think that's what partially inspired the comments.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 03:48:15 PM »
From press release...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that whoever does Jeopardy!'s PR simply wrote a nice, professional enough quote that sounds like something a person of Mike's stature would say. Like Jason said, it's a typical stock quote.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

bulldog_06

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2020, 02:45:50 AM »
All of this is great...I just want LeVar Burton or Laura Coates to get a week of shows doing this.