Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best/Worst "Game Show Host Week/Episode/Tournament,..."  (Read 2476 times)

TimK2003

Best/Worst "Game Show Host Week/Episode/Tournament,..."
« on: November 19, 2020, 07:12:45 PM »
It's always been fun watching game show emcees turn the tables and become the contestants either on their shows or on other game shows.

I don't think we've ever discussed what everybody's favorite and least favorite game show host episode(s) on the different game shows have been over the years.

Was it a single episode (Crosswits), a Tournament (Card Sharks) or just a theme week (Hollywood Squares).  Discuss or rank 'em if you wish.

ET206

Re: Best/Worst "Game Show Host Week/Episode/Tournament,..."
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 10:16:45 PM »
My favorite was the FF "Heavenly Hosts"/"Magnificent MCs" week.  The CS tournament ran too long for my liking.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 11:45:50 PM »
My favorite was the FF "Heavenly Hosts"/"Magnificent MCs" week.  The CS tournament ran too long for my liking.
I liked it because we got to spend more time with the hosts than just one match and so long. Plus they'd all be in California anyway. Maybe double elimination and the two survivors play a best-of-three for the grand prize. Super Password had no problem with a Tournament of Champions running over their one-week prediction.

/sad thought--the only survivor of the tournament is now Wink Martindale, outlasting Tom Kennedy.
Travis L. Eberle

TimK2003

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 11:57:49 AM »
To this day, I have only seen bits and pieces of H2's Game Show Week, but from what I've seen that potentially could be a favorite of mine.

Scrabble's game show host week was a favorite of mine, with Chuck Woolery sharing hosting duties with many of the others.

The Crosswits episode with Kennedy/Peck/Goen/Tomarken (was there more than one???) was a trainwreck with the "players" destroying David Sparks.

I would have loved to see some of the game show host weeks of the early-mid 70s that NBC did to cross-promote their daytime shows.  The 2nd Edition EOTVGS has a photo of Art Fleming, Joe Garagiola and Bob Clayton all playing The Who What Where Game, for example.

Sodboy13

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 12:50:38 PM »
The "April Fools" episode of Lingo which had what may have been the full roster of GSN hosts at the time was a lot of fun.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

aaron sica

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 01:33:47 PM »
When I was young and it was on first-run, I always enjoyed seeing Bob Barker on "Match Game". However, not knowing yet how TV worked, it confused me greatly how Bob Barker could host TPiR and in a matter of minutes, turn up on MG!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 03:22:24 PM »
When I was young and it was on first-run, I always enjoyed seeing Bob Barker on "Match Game". However, not knowing yet how TV worked, it confused me greatly how Bob Barker could host TPiR and in a matter of minutes, turn up on MG!

Something similar happened when Tom Kennedy played Password in the early '70s, which aired immediately before Split Second.  I remember him saying something like "I've got to get to the other studio", or "I just ran over from the other studio".  I guess I kind of believed it at the time!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Winkfan

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 05:24:55 PM »
My vote goes to the CS Hosts' Tourney as well. Too bad Eubanks' version didn't have such a tournament.

I also liked the PW+ week where Geno and the Winkster battled.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)