Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Per "The Wrap": George Stephanopoulos pushes to be new J! host  (Read 9703 times)

Kevin Prather

Re: Per "The Wrap": George Stephanopoulos pushes to be new J! host
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2020, 04:39:49 PM »
A lot of the candidates being floated here are well into their 50s-60s. If they're gonna choose anybody, it has to be someone in their 30s-40s that they know will want to stick around as long as Alex did.

I'd just like someone who can host the show at least half as long as Alex did and not end up at the same age as he was.

I made similar comments back in 2007 when people suggested Bob Barker be replaced by Wink Martindale. However 50-60 is not that old. If that person continues until age 80 like Alex did, that's 20-30 years. Nothing wrong with that.

Furthermore, today we are more cognizant of the issue of ageism. Frankly, we should not be considering a person's age when deciding if someone would be a good host, particularly of a mellow format like Jeopardy.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2020, 06:25:11 PM »
What qualifies Ken Jennings to replace Alex?

Playing a game is not the same as emceeing it.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2020, 07:10:06 PM »
and bring back Chuck Woolery on WOF?  (Probably not!)

He left?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JakeT

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2020, 07:13:23 PM »
What qualifies Ken Jennings to replace Alex?

I totally agree with you...I learned that the hard way at GSCs...my lifelong dream was to be a game show host until I faced hosting tournament games with hardcore game show fans at GSC4 and GSC6 and discovered I sucked at hosting...

Ken Jennings is a very personable guy...a friendly, guy next door type...that's not what JEOPARDY! needs...the role requires a commanding presence, one that Ken simply doesn't have...

JakeT

JakeT

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2020, 07:17:39 PM »
Frankly, we should not be considering a person's age when deciding if someone would be a good host, particularly of a mellow format like Jeopardy.

"a mellow format"?  I could have described J! many ways over the many decades and "mellow" would never have one of the adjectives used...

JakeT

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2020, 07:26:36 PM »
You can't really make a judgement until you audition someone, and even that isn't foolproof; Dick Martin fooled us on Mindreaders.

I know how George Stephanopoulos comes across reading news copy or doing an interview, but not emceeing Jeopardy!.

Casey Buck

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2020, 07:49:33 PM »

You would think the people at Jeopardy would know better, considering what happened with Mike Reilly.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2020, 09:34:57 PM »
A lot of the candidates being floated here are well into their 50s-60s. If they're gonna choose anybody, it has to be someone in their 30s-40s that they know will want to stick around as long as Alex did.

I'd just like someone who can host the show at least half as long as Alex did and not end up at the same age as he was.

I made similar comments back in 2007 when people suggested Bob Barker be replaced by Wink Martindale. However 50-60 is not that old. If that person continues until age 80 like Alex did, that's 20-30 years. Nothing wrong with that.

Furthermore, today we are more cognizant of the issue of ageism. Frankly, we should not be considering a person's age when deciding if someone would be a good host, particularly of a mellow format like Jeopardy.
But I feel like one of the factors that made Alex so loved and an institution is because of how long he was at the post. We can't imagine our evenings without him because, for some, he started before they were born or, for even more folks, before they turned 10 years old. My issue isn't with their performance. Plenty of people of advanced age can perform just as good as those younger. My issue is consistency. While I wouldn't expect someone to stay as long as Alex did, I don't think it'd be good for a show if they started shuffling through hosts every few years. I had my cap at that someone being 25 years younger than Alex. So, I'd agree at 50-60 being a fine age.

I know folks are living longer and working longer, but I equally don't want to have to worry about the host after they cross 75.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Unrealtor

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2020, 10:21:39 PM »
Frankly, we should not be considering a person's age when deciding if someone would be a good host, particularly of a mellow format like Jeopardy.

"a mellow format"?  I could have described J! many ways over the many decades and "mellow" would never have one of the adjectives used...

I think it depends on how you look at it. It's got a lot of material per day but it's not nearly as frantic with the Q&A as something like Whew, and doesn't have the same energy or volume level as Price or LMAD.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Kevin Prather

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2020, 01:29:48 AM »

I think it depends on how you look at it. It's got a lot of material per day but it's not nearly as frantic with the Q&A as something like Whew, and doesn't have the same energy or volume level as Price or LMAD.

That's what I was going for.

BrandonFG

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2020, 08:11:49 AM »
A choice that came to me a couple nights ago: Aisha Tyler.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2020, 08:39:30 AM »
Early returns from the survey I posted to the forum yesterday indicate that this isn't a problem at all, at least not among survey takers.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2020, 08:00:34 PM »
Have said this before and am sticking with it. Alex was called "the host" and not "the star", because the real stars of Jeopardy are the players and the question material. Alex was the navigator who kept everything on track, and did it with charm and warmth. As long as whoever comes along does not put themselves in the mindset of being "the star" and making the show all about themselves, that's 50% of the battle right there. Respect the format.

Loogaroo

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2020, 12:59:27 AM »
Have said this before and am sticking with it. Alex was called "the host" and not "the star", because the real stars of Jeopardy are the players and the question material. Alex was the navigator who kept everything on track, and did it with charm and warmth. As long as whoever comes along does not put themselves in the mindset of being "the star" and making the show all about themselves, that's 50% of the battle right there. Respect the format.
Co-sign, which is why anyone who immediately started lobbying for the hosting gig (such as the man mentioned in the headline) should automatically be left off the short list.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2020, 09:03:53 AM »
I don't think it's fair to assume that GS's people started pushing for this job upon Alex's death - they may have had feelers in even before he announced he was sick. I would imagine a lot of people have been quietly positioning themselves for the job for a long time.

This is what agents do for their clients, isn't it?  If you don't try, you're not going to get a look - especially for something with the accelerated taping schedule of a hugely popular weekday syndicated game show.
@lambertman