Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Per "The Wrap": George Stephanopoulos pushes to be new J! host  (Read 9714 times)

tvwxman

Re: Per "The Wrap": George Stephanopoulos pushes to be new J! host
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2020, 08:38:51 PM »
My money at this point:  KenJen comes in as interim to finish up the season, and then he is considered along with other candidates for the permanent position over the summer break when they have more time to vet.

I *can* see Ken being called in as an interim, but I honestly think he'd turn down the permanent role out of respect for Alex.

Mostly agree. Ken will do fine in a pinch but he's not the guy.

And Mike Richards DEFINITELY ain't the guy.

Make Ken the interim and spend the first half of 2021 finding the right guy.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2020, 08:45:20 PM »
Pat Kiernan says hi.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

TimK2003

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2020, 11:25:21 PM »
Has Jeff Probst ever said he'd be interested in doing regular Jeopardy if the opportunity arose?

I know it's been almost 20 years since his last hosting of R&RJ! , but he seemed to helm that version pretty well. And one wonders how much more gas is left in the Survivor tank?

Bryce L.

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2020, 11:37:06 PM »
And one wonders how much more gas is left in the Survivor tank?
Potentially none, since I recall reading (can't recall the source) that if Jeff gets done hosting Survivor, they'll pull the plug on the show entirely, he's considered that irreplaceable.

Bob Zager

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2020, 11:50:24 PM »
First thought that came to my mind: Mark L. Walberg.

I also thought that, a year ago this time, when I saw "The Price is Right Live" in Detroit with Walberg hosting. 

The fact that he hosted the "Star Challenge," high school quiz bowl type game on cable years ago made me think how good he could do as Alex's successor (I prefer that over "replacement").  Of course, there will be different thoughts by different people, so let's hope we can adjust and accept whomever the final pick is, whenever, and continue to enjoy the show for many more years!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2020, 08:18:02 AM »
My guess is Chris Harrison.  Has some name recognition from The Bachelor franchise.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chrisholland03

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2020, 09:07:32 AM »
I'm pulling for team LeVar.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2020, 10:15:23 AM »
Potentially none, since I recall reading (can't recall the source) that if Jeff gets done hosting Survivor, they'll pull the plug on the show entirely, he's considered that irreplaceable.

Don't believe that for a second.
@lambertman

Clay Zambo

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2020, 10:21:09 AM »
I wish to nominate WAIT WAIT DON'T TELL ME panelist and frequent CBS SUNDAY MORNING contributor Faith Salie. Woman's a Rhodes Scholar; she's got the goods.
czambo@mac.com

TonicBH

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2020, 11:29:19 AM »
A lot of the candidates being floated here are well into their 50s-60s. If they're gonna choose anybody, it has to be someone in their 30s-40s that they know will want to stick around as long as Alex did.

In reality, I could totally see them filling the rest of the season with guest hosts -- Jennings, the Clue Crew, hell get Pat Sajak for a week if you want -- and then having a definitive choice before next season starts. Either through whoever guest hosted, or pull a Price and get someone out-of-left-field but has name recognition. Maybe this is Neil Patrick Harris' time to shine?

Regardless, I wouldn't mind seeing Stephanopolous give it a try, but I'd also see some of what y'all suggested as well like Bergeron, Walberg or Kiernan.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

Bob Zager

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2020, 11:43:07 AM »
A lot of the candidates being floated here are well into their 50s-60s. If they're gonna choose anybody, it has to be someone in their 30s-40s that they know will want to stick around as long as Alex did.

In reality, I could totally see them filling the rest of the season with guest hosts -- Jennings, the Clue Crew, hell get Pat Sajak for a week if you want -- and then having a definitive choice before next season starts. Either through whoever guest hosted, or pull a Price and get someone out-of-left-field but has name recognition. Maybe this is Neil Patrick Harris' time to shine?

Regardless, I wouldn't mind seeing Stephanopolous give it a try, but I'd also see some of what y'all suggested as well like Bergeron, Walberg or Kiernan.

Remember, Sajak hosted the 1997 April Fool's Day episode,  and on another AFD episode (don't remember which year),  Neil Patrick Harris appeared in short segments, (saying "correct," or "sorry that is wrong!"  I also think Chris Harrison, with his WWTBAM track record could do good!

Of the ones who hosted J! spinoffs, (Bob Bergen, Jeff Probst and Dan Patrick), I don't care for any of them.

How about Sajak do J! and brink back Chuck Woolery on WOF?  (Probably not!)

bulldog_06

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2020, 12:35:22 PM »
I think Laura Coates would make a great host for Jeopardy! Alex has vouched for her publicly. I know he has said (with sarcasm) Betty White should replace. Laura has vast knowledge, she's very classy and honestly good to look at.

As featured in from two years ago on TMZ: https://www.tmz.com/2018/07/30/alex-trebek-jeopardy-replacement-alex-faust-kings-hockey/

SamJ93

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2020, 01:20:03 PM »
While I don't doubt that Mark Walberg would do a fantastic job, the problem is they would have a lot of non-regular viewers tuning in to his first show out of curiosity...and then immediately tuning out once they realize it isn't that Mark Wahlberg...
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2020, 01:35:48 PM »
I'd just like someone who can host the show at least half as long as Alex did and not end up at the same age as he was.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Unrealtor

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2020, 04:34:16 PM »
I have a hard time seeing any of the New York-based newspeople mentioned here taking the gig because, although Jeopardy isn't really a full-time job, it would require spending a lot of time on the west coast. I know that CBS made it work when Julie Chen was simultaneously anchoring The Early Show and Big Brother, but it feels like a different era these days from a budget perspective.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."