Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Per "The Wrap": George Stephanopoulos pushes to be new J! host  (Read 9702 times)

DjohnsonCB

"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Per "The Wrap": George Stephanopoulos pushes to be new J! host
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 05:07:22 PM »
You’re right. Too early.
Travis L. Eberle

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 09:07:00 PM »
There will be plenty of time to speculate, but I understand the human nature in instantly wondering about the future of the show. I know I've thought about it. That said, I probably wouldn't have posted just yet on what's currently being reported by tabloid rags (that are sometimes correct and certainly juicy).
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 09:40:48 PM »
You’re right. Too early.

Nope. It's timely. It's OK here.

I'm sure Mikey Richards would love to have the gig.

SamJ93

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 01:09:09 AM »

This actually is something I thought about. If they don't want the show to take another months-long hiatus so soon after the last one, an easy solution would be Mike filling for at least the remainder of the season.

I know a lot of people have speculated about Ken being groomed to take over, and it's possible, but I think he would need a bit more time to practice reading the clues and controlling the game. Mike already has the relevant TV experience, although admittedly he's never hosted a straight quizzer before.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

Nick

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 08:51:22 AM »
First thought that came to my mind: Mark L. Walberg.

If Roger Dobkowitz considered him the best of the lot to host The Price Is Right, then I am going to guess he has the competence to handle a show such a Jeopardy!.

I would not want to see Mike Richards or Ken Jennings in the gig.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

BillCullen1

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 09:11:03 AM »
First thought that came to my mind: Mark L. Walberg.

I like that choice. Another person I thought of was Tom Bergeron. He's looking for work now. They could also call Bob Barker - just kidding. :)

Nick

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 09:37:33 AM »
Another person I thought of was Tom Bergeron.

Also a good pick.  He's also got the public profile Walberg doesn't.

Hm, really, who would be a better choice?
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

petek66

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 01:12:51 PM »
I don't think Jennings has the gravitas for the job, though he might settle in over time.
My vote goes to Jeff Probst, if they could work around his Survivor travel whenever that comes back.

I also think the show's opening theme montage should keep Alex Trebek in it and also add Art Fleming as a
nice nod to the show's history.

Jeremy Nelson

Re: Per "The Wrap": George Stephanopoulos pushes to be new J! hos
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 01:34:22 PM »

This actually is something I thought about. If they don't want the show to take another months-long hiatus so soon after the last one, an easy solution would be Mike filling for at least the remainder of the season.

I know a lot of people have speculated about Ken being groomed to take over, and it's possible, but I think he would need a bit more time to practice reading the clues and controlling the game. Mike already has the relevant TV experience, although admittedly he's never hosted a straight quizzer before.
I would presume that if Ken was their contingency plan like most of us speculated, he’s already been getting trained for this- he wouldn’t be going in green. I’m thinking of the mini soundstage they built for Watson training games to be resurrected for this purpose.

I don’t think Mike would turn down the job if they offered it him- I view him (maybe unfairly) as a guy who’s in production because it pays the bills, but he REALLY wants to be on camera.

Honestly, I think they’ll avoid most news people (the political climate ruins this as an option), and I think they’ll select a woman or a person of color. I vote for me.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

beatlefreak84

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 01:59:11 PM »
Even prior to Alex's diagnosis, my wife and I were discussing this a few years ago; namely, who could, and who should, replace Alex?  She wants Anderson Cooper, and that was one I had thought of as well as he has hosting experience with The Mole and would be well-read like Alex was (though, as someone already mentioned, politics might keep him out of the role).  My initial vote went, actually, to George Stephanopoulos or to Dan Harris, both for the same reason:  well-read, similar demeanor to Alex, would not dominate the proceedings.  I'd prefer Harris, mainly because I thought he did a great job on 500 Questions, and I don't know if Stephanopoulos would give up either GMA or This Week.  I love Tom Bergeron, but I personally don't see him as a J! host except maybe for a celebrity edition.

My money at this point:  KenJen comes in as interim to finish up the season, and then he is considered along with other candidates for the permanent position over the summer break when they have more time to vet.  I don't see Richards doing anything other than substitute hosting, as he just started as producer this year.  If they don't want to do half a season with a new host, then they can just do a "Best of Alex" set of episodes to fill out the season.

All pure speculation at this point, of course, and I'm sure we'll have more answers in the coming weeks.  For right now, I'll enjoy watching the master at work.  :)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

PPatters

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 03:14:14 PM »
I’ll just add: LeVar Burton.
Patrick

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 04:48:35 PM »
The idea that George is "pushing" (through his reps) to be the next Jeopardy host reminds me of how Goodson and Todman were faced with replacing Dorothy Kilgallen and how they had to handle pushy requests from agents and celebrities. Nothing wrong with putting one's name out there, but if the producers feel you're not the right fit for the show, there's a lot of facial egg wiping coming for those who insist in the press that they're the "perfect" choice. Does anyone have information as to whether anyone from Jeopardy has had any serious talks with him?

BillCullen1

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 06:13:43 PM »
As it turned out, G-T did not replace Dorothy with anyone on WML. They left the seat open to guest panelists. Another time G-T was faced with getting someone new was when Larry Blyden died in a car crash right before he was set to host "Showoffs." I think they had less than a month to get someone. Bobby Van got the job, and his wife Elaine Joyce appeared a few times on the show.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 07:27:23 PM »
My money at this point:  KenJen comes in as interim to finish up the season, and then he is considered along with other candidates for the permanent position over the summer break when they have more time to vet.

I *can* see Ken being called in as an interim, but I honestly think he'd turn down the permanent role out of respect for Alex.

I don't see Richards doing anything other than substitute hosting, as he just started as producer this year.

Same; it did hit me after a little while that he had hosting experience....but I can only see him filling in on an interim basis.