Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC greenlights "Celebrity Wheel of Fortune"  (Read 15395 times)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Re: ABC greenlights "Celebrity Wheel of Fortune"
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2020, 08:26:01 AM »
Allen Ludden counts. Password Plus is Password, full stop.
@lambertman

TimK2003

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2020, 08:51:14 AM »

Good catch.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2020, 12:07:02 PM »
Guess this also gives the Wheel franchise the distinct honor of appearing on all of the original Big 3 Networks: NBC, CBS and now ABC.

Unless you're Sony, to which this is Wheel's network "debut" 

(I'm joking, but if they really imply this somehow, so help me....)

Just...stop. It is not that serious. Like, at all.
insert signature here

WhammyPower

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2020, 12:21:09 PM »

Good catch.
The Price is Right did it first. :P

And there's also the more recent entry with To Tell the Truth.

colonial

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2020, 12:25:34 PM »
https://deadline.com/2020/11/the-bachelor-american-idol-premiere-dates-celebrity-wheel-of-fortune-the-chase-the-hustler-abc-1234611967/

Celebrity WOF will front a Thursday game show block for ABC starting January 7. Celeb WOF starts at 8 p.m. ET, followed by The Chase at 9 p.m. and The Hustler (a Craig Ferguson-helmed effort that sounds like a variation of Dirty Rotten Cheater and The Enemy Within) at 10 p.m.

JD

Casey

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2020, 12:31:56 PM »

Good catch.
The Price is Right did it first. :P

And there's also the more recent entry with To Tell the Truth.
I think the discussion is about game show personnel doing the same thing on the same show on each of the Big 3 networks, not game shows that have appeared on each of the Big 3.

weaklink75

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2020, 03:33:41 PM »
I'm hoping they at least do something that will differentiate the celeb eps from normal eps other than the celeb contestants...put the million on the bonus wheel automatically, up the values on the wheel in normal play, something- otherwise it's the same show but on a network instead of syndication.

nowhammies10

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2020, 04:44:58 PM »
I'm hoping they at least do something that will differentiate the celeb eps from normal eps other than the celeb contestants...put the million on the bonus wheel automatically, up the values on the wheel in normal play, something- otherwise it's the same show but on a network instead of syndication.

You put far too much faith in the producers of Wheel.

TimK2003

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2020, 07:29:30 PM »

With Mike Richards now at the helm, I'm expecting Pat and Vanna to perform a song and dance sometime during the 2nd round.

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2020, 07:38:45 PM »
https://deadline.com/2020/11/the-bachelor-american-idol-premiere-dates-celebrity-wheel-of-fortune-the-chase-the-hustler-abc-1234611967/

Celebrity WOF will front a Thursday game show block for ABC starting January 7. Celeb WOF starts at 8 p.m. ET, followed by The Chase at 9 p.m. and The Hustler (a Craig Ferguson-helmed effort that sounds like a variation of Dirty Rotten Cheater and The Enemy Within) at 10 p.m

JD

Additionally  To tell the Truth returns Jan 26.

Still no $100,000 pyramid?

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2020, 08:59:40 PM »

With Mike Richards now at the helm, I'm expecting Pat and Vanna to perform a song and dance sometime during the 2nd round.
Yeah, while I'm not expecting everything to change from Harry Friedman instantly, the "producers of Wheel" aren't the same ones that have constantly let me down for the last 10 years. I'm hopeful for some changes for primetime. More than I would be a year ago.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2020, 12:32:04 AM »
Dang, I really don't get all this hate on Mike. Dude only successfully modernized two major game show brands while still keeping their core intact- that's not an easy job. But, as shown on here recently, some of y'all won't be satisfied until CBS cancels Price and replaces it with Barker reruns.

Not sure if Jeopardy GOAT was Mike's suggestion or if ABC came knocking, but if it's the former, he's gotten primetime air time for both of his new brands within one year, and that's to be commended as well.

For Wheel, I'm looking for SOMETHING to be different for the primetime version. What I like about Mike is that he's willing to change things up to see if he can make a better show come from it. They all don't work, but I appreciate the effort. Maybe some different set pieces, new dollar amounts on the wheel, or even a new theme? Jeopardy GOAT got a couple of those items, so I'm expecting to see something change.

I'll be interested to see how Pat hosts these episodes. I'd love to see him ham it up a little bit more, but I fear he's been in his dry humor rut since '89 and doesn't know the way out.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Bryce L.

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2020, 12:54:06 AM »
some of y'all won't be satisfied until CBS cancels Price and replaces it with Barker reruns backs down and signs off on Barker reruns for Buzzr.
FTFY.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2020, 02:58:35 AM »
Not sure if Jeopardy GOAT was Mike's suggestion or if ABC came knocking,

I don't know whether ABC requested it, but given that Harry Friedman was the executive producer of those specials, I'm guessing Mike didn't have much to do with their creation.

TimK2003

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2020, 08:33:21 AM »
Dang, I really don't get all this hate on Mike. Dude only successfully modernized two major game show brands while still keeping their core intact- that's not an easy job. But, as shown on here recently, some of y'all won't be satisfied until CBS cancels Price and replaces it with Barker reruns.

I am not a Richards basher.  He actually does a good job with the games in general, and was a decent host on GSNs Pyramid.

What I don't agree with is when there are unnecessary distractions to the gameplay.  When you try to have most LMAD contestants do some sort of America's Got Talent act before they do an actual deal, it screams Central Casting, and it gets predictable.

Granted, Mike Richards had no part in the recent LMAD prime time special, with the crew's opening "number", or all the distractions Wheel has done under Harry Friedman's watch (too many buzz-in puzzles has always been my pet peeve), but if you are going to tweak a game show, do it with actual relevant gameplay and let everything else come natural (contestants, reactions, etc...).