Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC greenlights "Celebrity Wheel of Fortune"  (Read 15398 times)

colonial

ABC greenlights "Celebrity Wheel of Fortune"
« on: November 09, 2020, 02:06:23 PM »

cmjb13

Re: ABC greenlights "Celebrity Wheel of Fortune"
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 02:23:50 PM »
It will be interesting to see what Mike Richards brings to address this, especially since the set is already 'Price' loud and the game is already gimmick filled.

My response last year:
I suspect he'll implement similar gimmicks as Price.

C + D level celebrities cameos
C + D level celebrities contestants
Having kids, parents, team rivalries play as contestants
High end designer/fashion prizes.

My response today: Gee, what a surprise (rolls eyes)
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

JMFabiano

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 03:03:08 PM »
It will be interesting to see what Mike Richards brings to address this, especially since the set is already 'Price' loud and the game is already gimmick filled.

My response last year:
I suspect he'll implement similar gimmicks as Price.

C + D level celebrities cameos
C + D level celebrities contestants
Having kids, parents, team rivalries play as contestants
High end designer/fashion prizes.

My response today: Gee, what a surprise (rolls eyes)

Oh, David Downs, if only you were here to see this...
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 04:24:18 PM »
???

A little clarification, please?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 04:35:15 PM »
I miss the times where celebrity episodes of game shows would be interspersed a few times throughout the season in the regular time slot, rather than being treated as some completely separate spin-off series.

I'll still watch, of course.

JMFabiano

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 06:12:35 PM »
???

Who me?  I am referring to a (late) internet friend who was VERY critical of modern Wheel.

Bryce L.

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 06:17:16 PM »
???

Who me?  I am referring to a (late) internet friend who was VERY critical of modern Wheel.
David was a class act (at least in my own dealings with him; for others here YMMV), but he did have a sarcastic streak a mile wide. And Mike Richards and Harry Friedman were both perennial targets for him.

/can't believe next month will be a year he's been gone, still miss him.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 06:43:11 PM »
???

Gotcha.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

cmjb13

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 07:20:09 PM »
???

Gotcha.
I’m not critical of wheel as much as Richards.
It’s like gimmicks and celebrities is all he knows.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

splinkynip

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 10:37:21 PM »
The reason why they haven't had celebrities play in 13 years is because they were the most part terrible. When was the last time celebrities or professional athletes played by themselves? The game just dragged. Pairing them up with contestants didn't help, they just really served to spin the wheel but were otherwise clueless.

Hopefully they'll get "celebrities" who actually know how to play.

TimK2003

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 10:46:36 PM »
Guess this also gives the Wheel franchise the distinct honor of appearing on all of the original Big 3 Networks: NBC, CBS and now ABC.

And will this also give Vanna White the honor of being the only person that appears/appeared on the same game show, in the same capacity, across all three networks?

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 12:18:20 AM »
When was the last time celebrities or professional athletes played by themselves?
20 years ago (November 2, 2000), as a special game where the celebs played for charity while in costume (tying in to an "unmask the stars" contest held on the show's website): Richard Simmons as Shakespeare, Tara Lipinski as a genie, and Alex Trebek as a gnome. Their identities were revealed during the final segment.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 12:33:02 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 12:58:19 AM »
The reason why they haven't had celebrities play in 13 years is because they were the most part terrible. When was the last time celebrities or professional athletes played by themselves? The game just dragged. Pairing them up with contestants didn't help, they just really served to spin the wheel but were otherwise clueless.
Honestly, I've been regularly watching the show for the past few years, and the celebs probably aren't going to be any worse than the college weeks they've perennially done. I don't know where they scout their contestants from for those, but it's painful watching when it seems like 80% of the contestants look live they've done next to no preparation or even know the game.

This same problem is also happening this season with the show focusing almost solely on southern California contestants due to the pandemic. The gameplay has dipped terribly and they seem so desperate for contestants that some people seem like they walked in off the street and just started playing. Some to great heights, but most to "WTF?" response.

So, I'll gladly be looking forward to what will be part of the shot in the arm Wheel needed. The two biggest gripes I had as Harry walked out the door was the massive lack in fun/creative/current puzzle writing and no celebs. They might not be good, but they're entertaining and people like watching the favorite stars play the games they like to watch. Here's hoping being in primetime they book some big names.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

BillCullen1

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 06:52:24 AM »
Some celebs were good. I remember Weird Al Yankovic and Neil Patrick Harris being very good. They most likely had seen the show before. I wonder if they will do two half hours  or have the same celebs do an hour show. As long as they don't book people like Kellie Pickler it should work out fine.

JMFabiano

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 08:20:39 AM »
Guess this also gives the Wheel franchise the distinct honor of appearing on all of the original Big 3 Networks: NBC, CBS and now ABC.

Unless you're Sony, to which this is Wheel's network "debut" 

(I'm joking, but if they really imply this somehow, so help me....)

And will this also give Vanna White the honor of being the only person that appears/appeared on the same game show, in the same capacity, across all three networks?

Unless you count Monty Hall's guest host shots on the CBS version of LMAD, as well as taking over the NBC version, yes.

EDIT: Forgot about Allen Ludden too!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 10:42:08 AM by JMFabiano »