Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New 2021 GSN Chain Reaction....same 2006 GSN Chain Reaction host...  (Read 7417 times)

BrandonFG

Re: New 2021 GSN Chain Reaction....same 2006 GSN Chain Reaction host...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 11:53:07 AM »
Hopefully they'll get contestants who actually know how to play the game this time.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

colonial

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 11:54:08 AM »
An interesting hire, particularly since Lane appears to have been out of the entertainment business the last six years ...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/dylan-lane-3120b4a7/

Guess he still had a bit of the showbiz bug left in him.

JD

BillCullen1

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 12:28:19 PM »
Hopefully they'll get contestants who actually know how to play the game this time.

To be fair, the show had been off the air for some time in 2006. Plus a network like GSN isn't going to be as picky with contestants as NBC or ABC. As for Dylan, maybe Mike Catherwood wasn't available. I wonder if they'll go back to the old bonus round or the one they used on Catherwood's version

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 03:56:09 PM »

To be fair, the show had been off the air for some time in 2006. Plus a network like GSN isn't going to be as picky with contestants as NBC or ABC. As for Dylan, maybe Mike Catherwood wasn't available. I wonder if they'll go back to the old bonus round or the one they used on Catherwood's version

I hope that they choose the latter; it moved so much more fluidly.

I just never got into the one word at a time round. Yet I don’t mind watching episodes of Go once in awhile. You figure that one out.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 04:06:49 PM »
I just never got into the one word at a time round. Yet I don’t mind watching episodes of Go once in awhile. You figure that one out.

The building-a-question mechanic only works when the people playing have a special aptitude for the game. And simply put, the contestants on GSN were not good at it in any way shape or form.

One of the simplest briefing notes I've discovered in playing the game over the years is to have the second person "define" the subject immediately with word 2, if they can. The first person just throws out the best "W" word to get it going. So for instance, if the answer is "George Washington", WHAT PRESIDENT is a pretty easy way to start. If it's "The Big Bang Theory", WHAT SITCOM...if it's "Cake" you say WHAT DESSERT, etc. etc. Conciseness is #1, with the ability to change the question midstream, or cut your losses and pass early, being somewhere else in the top 3.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BillCullen1

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 04:27:41 PM »

The building-a-question mechanic only works when the people playing have a special aptitude for the game. And simply put, the contestants on GSN were not good at it in any way shape or form.

-Jason

Very true. Plus you have to remember that the people building the questions on the Cullen version were celebrities, and Bob Stewart usually got celebs who were good with word games,

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 06:05:03 PM »

To be fair, the show had been off the air for some time in 2006. Plus a network like GSN isn't going to be as picky with contestants as NBC or ABC.
Network or not, how long does it take for a producer or contestant/casting coordinator to sit players down and show them a round or two? Even being off the air as long as it was, the show's concept isn't exactly rocket science.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 06:27:03 PM »
An interesting hire, particularly since Lane appears to have been out of the entertainment business the last six years ...

He was ever in it?

weaklink75

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 07:35:53 PM »

He was ever in it?

The press release says he’s a fleet engineer for GE...

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2020/11/02/game-show-network-greenlights-new-edition-of-classic-word-association-game-show-chain-reaction-633112/20201102gsn01/

That’ll make for a weird conversation:
“What are your plans for this weekend?”
“I’m just going to relax”
“I have to start putting up lights for the holidays”
“My wife and I are going antiquing”
“I have to tape 10 episodes of the game show I host”

mystery7

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 06:52:38 PM »
It also says he's a "fan favorite." How many fans can he realistically have considering how long (and how long ago) the show ran the first time? Glad he's got this gig to fall back on given GE's incredible shrinking act of late.

PYLdude

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 11:08:00 PM »

Quite the understatement.

But I will give them credit for at least letting the receiver determine when he’d heard enough info to answer. That effing bell...
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

SuperMatch93

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2020, 12:54:51 AM »
It also says he's a "fan favorite." How many fans can he realistically have considering how long (and how long ago) the show ran the first time? Glad he's got this gig to fall back on given GE's incredible shrinking act of late.

Maybe the reruns got a decent amount of viewers?
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

PYLdude

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2020, 04:26:01 AM »

Maybe the reruns got a decent amount of viewers?

They sure aired often enough.

mystery7

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2020, 04:03:04 AM »
They had to interrupt all that Family Feud with something some time.