Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Passing Of The #1 Daytime Show Torch....  (Read 2614 times)

TimK2003

The Passing Of The #1 Daytime Show Torch....
« on: December 01, 2020, 11:13:17 PM »
A few weeks ago, I saw on Buzzr a Match Game episode where Mark Goodson came out to congratulate Gene on having the #1 Daytime Show.

At some point, The Price Is Right took over that distinctive title and owned it.

About when did TPIR wrestle the #1 Daytime Show title from MG'7X?

BrandonFG

Re: The Passing Of The #1 Daytime Show Torch....
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 11:23:19 PM »
Around 1978. IIRC, it actually took the crown from “Feud”.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tyshaun1

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 07:47:26 AM »
Around 1978. IIRC, it actually took the crown from “Feud”.
I don't think TPIR started hitting the top overall spot until 1983 or so. "Feud" stopped being on top when ABC moved it to noon in July 1980.

Sodboy13

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 08:25:45 AM »
Bob mentioned being #1 at the top of one of the 1982 episodes now showing on Pluto, and I believe he phrased it as "still" number one, so definitely before '83.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 09:14:55 AM »
Nielsen split TPIR into two half hours, so it could be at two different places.  Is it possible that afternoon shows had more available audience, so FF and MG had a larger audience from which to draw.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 11:17:18 AM »
I don’t have an EOTVGS on me, but the second and third editions have the top 3 network games in the back. I could’ve sworn TPIR went to #1 right after it moved to mornings.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

tyshaun1

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 12:33:44 PM »
I don’t have an EOTVGS on me, but the second and third editions have the top 3 network games in the back. I could’ve sworn TPIR went to #1 right after it moved to mornings.

I have the 2nd edition so I flipped to the appendix in question. Price became the #1 rated game show in October 1979, not long after it moved to 11AM EST/10 AM PST. But I'm pretty sure it didn't become the top rated overall show (second half, anyway; the first half was usually in the lower half of the top ten and Wheel often tied or beat it) regularly until around 1983, after the General Hospital craze fizzled out.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 02:10:33 PM »
I misread Tim’s question, but for some reason I thought it was way after 1983. But if that’s what Bob said, I’ll go with it.