Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Video game programs coming to GSN  (Read 27825 times)

Shredder

Video game programs coming to GSN
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2003, 09:09:03 PM »
Well, maby this will be a good thing.  A few years down the line, we'll have a 'Game Show Classics' Network that is seperate from GSN, wich will air Gameshows from the 50's, to the 80's, with no end credit interuptinos for new show promotion, or screen squashes for online adds.. One can only hope..

However, this statement is rather sad..
>> The video game block also presents the network with numerous product placement opportunities. Michael Sakin, GSN's Senior Vice President of Advertising Sales, is actively pursuing software developers, soft drink and fast food companies, wireless cell phone distributors and the automotive industry for product placement integration opportunities. >>.

It's all about the product placement isn't it?  Is my posotive thinking that it was ever about the show and quality of shows just happy thinking?

TonicBH

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2003, 09:25:06 PM »
I still say this: What the hell is Cronin/Boden/whoever SMOKING?!

This is bloody rediculous. I pretty much agree with 90% of what everyone said.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2003, 09:33:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Jun 30 2003, 06:09 PM\'] It's all about the product placement isn't it?  Is my posotive thinking that it was ever about the show and quality of shows just happy thinking? [/quote]
 Yes. Yes, it was.

If GSN thinks it will get a plurality of people to watch their channel, they will air repeats of Small Wonder. And they should. The idea is to get the most eyes watching their channel. If the ratings bear out that people will watch video game shows on their channel, then that is what they should air.

These people aren't doing you any kind of \"service\". They're not interested in \"preservation of the genre\" or any happy warm crap like that. They want eyes to watch their commercials. You are fooling yourself if you think any different.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

catnap1972

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2003, 09:38:35 PM »
These people aren't doing you any kind of \"service\". They're not interested in \"preservation of the genre\" or any happy warm crap like that. They want eyes to watch their commercials. You are fooling yourself if you think any different.

If they (or any other network) could hook you into watching 21 hours of commercials a day, you're damn skippy they would.

They just haven't figured out how (yet)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2003, 09:39:27 PM by catnap1972 »

jalman

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2003, 09:42:16 PM »
I agree w/many of the others.  Introducing video-game-related programming would alienate loyal viewers and draw very few of their target demos.

GSN, while gaining a large user base, should be \"truer to itself.\"  I've observed that Joe Viewer gives his/her highest praises for the older programming of GSN.  IMO, one of the advantages of cable/satellite is the variety of distinct niche channels.  GSN broadening their programming choices too far rarely ever ends in success (my immediate example is Who Dares Wins).

Clarence

TV Favorites

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2003, 09:46:57 PM »
A few years down the line, we'll have a 'Game Show Classics' Network that is seperate from GSN, wich will air Gameshows from the 50's, to the 80's, with no end credit interuptinos for new show promotion, or screen squashes for online adds.. One can only hope..

I don't see that happening unless in the future, cable is abolished and people can subscribe directly to any network they wish.  It has taken GSN a long time to get onto cable lineups and they still have a long way to go.  Can you imagine how hard it'll be to convince them to add ANOTHER GSN...one that appeals to less people than the current one?

If they (or any other network) could hook you into watching 21 hours of commercials a day, you're damn skippy they would.

It's called PIN...Product Information Network.  Well, it's infomercials, but basically the same.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2003, 10:07:51 PM »
[quote name=\'jalman\' date=\'Jun 30 2003, 06:42 PM\'] GSN, while gaining a large user base, should be "truer to itself."  I've observed that Joe Viewer gives his/her highest praises for the older programming of GSN.  IMO, one of the advantages of cable/satellite is the variety of distinct niche channels.  GSN broadening their programming choices too far rarely ever ends in success (my immediate example is Who Dares Wins).
 [/quote]
 And if the ratings bear that out, I will be pleased to march right behind you in the I Told You So parade :)

But until then, I have to think these people have information that I as a mere viewer am not privy to.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2003, 10:55:40 PM »
I have to say it's getting a little redundant to see the same dozen or so voices raised in protest any time GSN tries something different.  

They're not going to \"alienate loyal viewers\" any more than ESPN alienates football fans when they air women's bowling, or NBC alienates fans of E/R when they air \"Friends\".  GSN cannot survive by running a program schedule that constantly caters to the same small audience of devotees any more than MTV could have survived by remaining a 24-hour music video service.  But you guys think GSN has some grand responsibility to preserve and rerun the same programming over and over and over.

You do realize that they're not going to make any new episode of Combs Feud, don't you?  

If you don't want to watch the new shows, don't.  If enough people don't, they'll drop those shows and try something else.  My impression (based on a pretty consistant past history) is that the same people who complain about this awful programming move will somehow be able to tell us every detail about the shows, including the precise moment when reruns start.  But of course you won't be watching.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

beatlefreak84

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2003, 11:59:15 PM »
You do realize that they're not going to make any new episode of Combs Feud, don't you?

Of course not!  However, the only reason I complained is because GSN seems to be sacrificing a lot of its classics in order to make room for \"cutting-edge\" programming.  While new programming can be worth a look, we know of some of the original shows that are faltering; why not give them a rest and try out these new shows?

If you don't want to watch the new shows, don't. If enough people don't, they'll drop those shows and try something else. My impression (based on a pretty consistant past history) is that the same people who complain about this awful programming move will somehow be able to tell us every detail about the shows, including the precise moment when reruns start. But of course you won't be watching.

Oh, you got that right, Matt.  And, nope, I won't be watching them on GSN anymore than I watch them on G4 (which is NEVER!).  Honestly, the only show I watch on G4 is \"Starcade\" (naturally); other than that, I couldn't care less about video games on TV.  Oh, and, if you ever see me recall every detail about the shows and say they suck and why would I watch them, feel free to banish me to the STYD room (I liked TTD '90, honestly; STYD is more torture for me!)!
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

beatlefreak84

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2003, 12:13:03 AM »
You gotta wonder why they didn't at least try to acquire Starcade and/or Hi Score

Well, I can't comment on \"Starcade,\" but I can for \"Hi Score:\"  if you go to G4, you see that only six episodes exist to this date!  I think that would kinda make for a very short-running series, wouldn't it?

However, I'd suffer through the reruns to get more looks at Julia Reed!  :)

BTW, does anybody know if more episodes exist than G4 claims, or were only 6 made?

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Timsterino

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2003, 01:34:23 AM »
I said it in the other thread and I will say it here. I think the news today stinks. I like to play video games but do I want to watch shows about them? No.

I can honestly see GSN becoming \"The Game Station Network\". The reality of it is, the only thing we can do is complain and not watch. I will do both when this \"Video Game\" garbage is on.

Tim

jalman

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2003, 03:04:53 AM »
I have to say it's getting a little redundant to see the same dozen or so voices raised in protest any time GSN tries something different. 

They're not going to \"alienate loyal viewers\" any more than ESPN alienates football fans when they air women's bowling, or NBC alienates fans of E/R when they air \"Friends\".  GSN cannot survive by running a program schedule that constantly caters to the same small audience of devotees any more than MTV could have survived by remaining a 24-hour music video service.  But you guys think GSN has some grand responsibility to preserve and rerun the same programming over and over and over.

ESPN focuses on sports (football and bowling are sports) and NBC airs programming w/o confining itself to one genre (ER isn't the flagship of some medical drama channel).

No, I don't want GSN to become the \"collectable old shows worth hoarding\" network, and I don't rip my hair after knowing of every announcement they make regarding programming changes.  I appreciate their having non-classics and documentaries (even Naturally Stoned) about game shows in their efforts to expand farther than the \"we air old, old shows\"-type channel.

I worry that they are throwing crap on the wall just to be the \"it\" station.  If their new shows end up doing great ratings, fine.   No big deal.

You don't say?  I thought that color episode of Andy Griffith on TV Land was brand new, too.  I have no hatred of the GSN originals.

If you don't want to watch the new shows, don't.  If enough people don't, they'll drop those shows and try something else.  My impression (based on a pretty consistant past history) is that the same people who complain about this awful programming move will somehow be able to tell us every detail about the shows, including the precise moment when reruns start.  But of course you won't be watching.

Good for me, then.  I don't have GSN at the moment.  I'm also not the type who'll moan, groan, and pronounce doomsday every time there's plans that a GSN original airs the dreaded all-celebrity episode.

Or complain that MTV no longer airs videos.

whampyl03

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2003, 03:53:38 AM »
Here's a snippet of a moderators reply on the GSN boards in a reply to the overwhelmingly negative posts about the subject...

You think news on TV you think CNN.

You think music on TV you think MTV.

You think games on TV you think ?. Now wouldn't it be nice to say Game Show Network?

Huh?  I don't know about you, but when I think of games on TV, I think of G4, when I think of GAME SHOWS I think of GAME SHOW NETWORK!

Personally, I'm crushed.  I've never been so dissapointed and upset at GSN in my entire life.

I'll just say the same thing I said on the GSN boards...

I can stand the speed ups, I can stand the split screens, I can stand the blue bar, I can stand the current bad originals, I can stand the lack of TTD and TJW, and I could probably stand Games accross America, BUT I CAN'T STAND THIS!

Shredder

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2003, 09:10:42 AM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' date=\'Jun 30 2003, 08:38 PM\']
These people aren't doing you any kind of "service". They're not interested in "preservation of the genre" or any happy warm crap like that. They want eyes to watch their commercials. You are fooling yourself if you think any different.

They just haven't figured out how (yet) [/quote]
 Too Late.  RNN already beat you too it :).  Used to be a 24/7 informercial channel

Thad Dixon

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2003, 09:56:16 AM »

They just haven't figured out how (yet) 

Too Late. RNN already beat you too it :). Used to be a 24/7 informercial channel

Just curious, but what does RNN stand for?  I don't get that channel.