Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Video game programs coming to GSN  (Read 27820 times)

beatlefreak84

Video game programs coming to GSN
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 11:21:23 AM »
(goes to bathroom to throw up, comes back)

Ugh!  Hey, GSN, ever heard of G4?  You know, that little network where all they talk about is video games?  And, even worse, once a week with new episodes?  Maybe I'm misinterpreting the press release, but I think that's a little much, especially since it's only two shows.

Part of me should be happy that GSN is expanding its lineup to include other things, but isn't the network called \"Game Show Network,\" not the \"Games Network?\"

So, let me get this straight:  they spend money to land video game magazine shows from the UK, but not \"Sale of the Century\" or \"Scrabble?\"  I think, at this point, our chances of seeing new classics are dwinding to almost none!

This just reminds me of the time somebody suggested that GSN change its name to the \"Newlywed Network;\" heaven forbid these shows take off, we could be saying goodbye to a LOT more classics (it looks like Combs' Feud is getting the boot, but I could be wrong!).

Ugh!  I need some Pepto-Bismol now!

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2003, 11:30:08 AM »
Good lord, I think I *AM* going to be sick.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2003, 11:46:21 AM by Seth Thrasher »

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2003, 11:45:53 AM »
I just reread the press release, and got one bit of good news.

At least it isn't 7-a-week (Thursdays, Saturdays, Sundays)

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2003, 12:12:49 PM »
Good lord.

If they somehow worked out a deal for Starcade it wouldn't be as bad.....

tyshaun1

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2003, 12:18:19 PM »
(Picking jaw off the floor)

Oddly enough, G4 actually carries both Gamer.TV and Game Sauce on a regular basis. You gotta wonder why they didn't at least try to acquire Starcade and/or Hi Score (an actual game show based on video games produced by the same network as those other two shows). My only thought is that maybe they're moving forward with that \"Tag Team\" pilot they shot late last year.........

(Jaw falls to floor again)
Tyshaun

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2003, 02:05:24 PM »
Part of me should be happy that GSN is expanding its lineup to include other things, but isn't the network called \"Game Show Network,\" not the \"Games Network?\"

How odd you should mention \"Games Network.\" I think this is what Fleming wanted to do to the network.

I wouldn't be surprised if GSN has as much to do with game shows in a few years as MTV has to do with music now. They're really stretching \"game show\" at this point...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2003, 02:15:54 PM by ilb4ever2000 »

cmjb13

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2003, 02:36:37 PM »
That takes care of Combs Feud for Thursday.

I hope they leave this alone. It's been in that time slot for about 2 years.

If it didn't perform well, it would have been gone by now.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2003, 04:03:57 PM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Jun 30 2003, 11:05 AM\'] I wouldn't be surprised if GSN has as much to do with game shows in a few years as MTV has to do with music now. They're really stretching "game show" at this point... [/quote]
 My TiVo, until I sat it down and gave it a stern talking-to, was at one time recording all manner of G4 programming, because the guide referred to it as a \"game show\". And while it didn't fit the technical definition any better than Love Connection, I couldn't really argue, since it only knows what the guide tells it. Eventually it got sick of me scolding it whenever it grabbed something from there and stopped.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

davemackey

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2003, 05:57:44 PM »
Well, this fulfills the self-fulfilling prophecy that GSN will soon change its name, or its meaning, to something else.

Game Station Network, anyone? Sony already owns the rights to something called The Station....

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2003, 06:36:10 PM »
Yeah, well, I had a nice little rant on the GSN boards that got deleted. You dare to question them they delete you.

I said this at GSN: If Starcade, Video Power, or The Video Game, which are all true game shows, were included in this package, it would be a lot better.

cmjb13

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2003, 07:18:13 PM »
Guys, Guys, Guys.....

Let us not forget that Bob Boden is at the helm and wouldn't do something this dumb. (Inquizition and Mall Masters runs through my mind)

But seriously, I can understand where they are coming from. They are trying to broaden their appeal. I can't blame they for trying that.

What I can blame them for is continuously trying new programming, finding that it's not working, then trying something else which also doesn't work.

They are throwing anything against the wall to see if it sticks.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2003, 07:41:12 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

catnap1972

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2003, 07:18:19 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Jun 30 2003, 05:57 PM\'] Well, this fulfills the self-fulfilling prophecy that GSN will soon change its name, or its meaning, to something else.

Game Station Network, anyone? Sony already owns the rights to something called The Station.... [/quote]

Well, this fulfills the self-fulfilling prophecy that GSN will soon change its name, or its meaning, to something else.

Ahem, they already changed their name from \"Game Show Network\" to \"GSN\".

Think there's more to it than they're willing to let on?

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2003, 08:13:39 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jun 30 2003, 06:18 PM\'] Guys, Guys, Guys.....

Let us not forget that Bob Boden is at the helm and wouldn't do something this dumb. (Inquizition and Mall Masters runs through my mind)
 [/quote]
 Well, aaaaaactuallllly, Rich Cronin (The Pres/CEO of GSN) has been the main figurehead behind all these non-standard moved (Games Across America, the VG block, etc)

Somehow, I doubt we'd be seeing this with Boden running the show.   Yer right.  Bob wouldn't do anything this stupid.  But Cronin would have (The only good thing Rich Cronin has done in office at any network, IMO, is launching TV Land...and *IT* wasn't even that great until after he left it)

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2003, 08:36:03 PM »
As already heralded by many of the above posts, when did GSN decide to become \"The Next G4?\"

I have the privilige of being one of the many selected markets to have the G4 network, so this move by GSN is a wasted effort. Never mind the fact that G4 airs both versions of Starcade without the usual \"GSN edits\" or what not.

I may recant this statement years from now - and I regret saying this - but GSN is slowly going the way of Cartoon Network (a lot of originals, with only TWO of them being watchable) and MTV (completely deviating from the purpose of the channel, with the current schedule being weak at best and horrid at worst).

To GSN: leave the VIDEO GAMES to G4, and focus on the GAME SHOWS.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.