Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Video game programs coming to GSN  (Read 29453 times)

urbanpreppie05

Video game programs coming to GSN
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2003, 02:31:01 PM »
Here's my opinion:

My thoughts: I think the idea is in the right place...I understand that GSN is trying to become more Mainstream, and perpetually showing classics all the time wasn't getting them anywhere.
I do think that the execution is all wrong. Video games are a huge source of that wonderful demographic-but without any part of these new shows that even involve actual playing and winning, it kinda defeats the purpose of it being on GSN. Will I watch it? yes. I'll try anything once. Will I like it? Well, I'll have to see it first. Will I cuss and scream and say \"GSN doesn't show (insert classic here) so it's stupid now!\" No. Face it- out of 125+ hours of programming a week that GSN has, this only takes up 6 hours. Find something else to do if you don't like the show. If enough people don't like it, It will go away-and I have a feeling this isn't going to be around that long.
insert signature here

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2003, 03:38:14 PM »
If you guys don't mind, I'm going to quote the moderator of the FlashGames board, who has had some recent dealings with GSN:

From what little that I've understood in the whole trip to L.A., Game Show Network is scaling themselves away from the \"GAME SHOW\" genre specifically, and aiming for GAMES in general. 

In other words, don't count on new Lingo and RR. Read on....

Also, they are trying to get the younger demographic (Teens and College) to start watching, away from the older demographic that they began with years ago.

BZZZZ! Hang on a minute! Weren't Burt Luddin's Love Buffet, All New 3's A Crowd, and Extreme Gong meant to do the same thing? Uh huh...and how successful were those three again?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2003, 03:39:03 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

Timsterino

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2003, 03:56:24 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 2 2003, 02:38 PM\'] If you guys don't mind, I'm going to quote the moderator of the FlashGames board, who has had some recent dealings with GSN:

From what little that I've understood in the whole trip to L.A., Game Show Network is scaling themselves away from the "GAME SHOW" genre specifically, and aiming for GAMES in general. 

Also, they are trying to get the younger demographic (Teens and College) to start watching, away from the older demographic that they began with years ago.

BZZZZ! Hang on a minute! Weren't Burt Luddin's Love Buffet, All New 3's A Crowd, and Extreme Gong meant to do the same thing? Uh huh...and how successful were those three again? [/quote]
 If this is in fact true, then I for one think it sucks. I was afraid this was happening with \"Naturally Stoned\" but my fears did not extend to the point of them focusing on GAMES. If GSN is going to become a Video Gamer channel then I will be getting rid of my digital cable.

Timsterino

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2003, 03:58:46 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jul 2 2003, 01:31 PM\'] Here's my opinion:

My thoughts: I think the idea is in the right place...I understand that GSN is trying to become more Mainstream, and perpetually showing classics all the time wasn't getting them anywhere.
I do think that the execution is all wrong. Video games are a huge source of that wonderful demographic-but without any part of these new shows that even involve actual playing and winning, it kinda defeats the purpose of it being on GSN. Will I watch it? yes. I'll try anything once. Will I like it? Well, I'll have to see it first. Will I cuss and scream and say "GSN doesn't show (insert classic here) so it's stupid now!" No. Face it- out of 125+ hours of programming a week that GSN has, this only takes up 6 hours. Find something else to do if you don't like the show. If enough people don't like it, It will go away-and I have a feeling this isn't going to be around that long. [/quote]
 To be honest, this only takes up 6 hours RIGHT NOW. What happens when they add another video game show, then another? Things that start off small grow to be big problems sometimes.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2003, 04:20:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Jul 2 2003, 02:58 PM\'] [quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jul 2 2003, 01:31 PM\'] Here's my opinion:

I do think that the execution is all wrong. Video games are a huge source of that wonderful demographic-but without any part of these new shows that even involve actual playing and winning, it kinda defeats the purpose of it being on GSN. Will I watch it? yes. I'll try anything once. Will I like it? Well, I'll have to see it first. Will I cuss and scream and say "GSN doesn't show (insert classic here) so it's stupid now!" No. Face it- out of 125+ hours of programming a week that GSN has, this only takes up 6 hours. Find something else to do if you don't like the show. If enough people don't like it, It will go away-and I have a feeling this isn't going to be around that long. [/quote]
To be honest, this only takes up 6 hours RIGHT NOW. What happens when they add another video game show, then another? Things that start off small grow to be big problems sometimes. [/quote]
 Exactly.

FYI, it's useless going to GSN and complaining. They censor people who disagree with them.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2003, 04:22:35 PM »
For those \"classics\" lovers (myself included), I think the best we can hope for a few years down the line is a \"GSN2\", where the vault/library product would have an outlet.  Even \"thericker\" on the GSN boards didn't rule it out.

It just seems that the GSN that was in 1994, is no longer.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2003, 04:22:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Jul 2 2003, 02:56 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 2 2003, 02:38 PM\'] If you guys don't mind, I'm going to quote the moderator of the FlashGames board, who has had some recent dealings with GSN:

From what little that I've understood in the whole trip to L.A., Game Show Network is scaling themselves away from the "GAME SHOW" genre specifically, and aiming for GAMES in general. 

BZZZZ! Hang on a minute! Weren't Burt Luddin's Love Buffet, All New 3's A Crowd, and Extreme Gong meant to do the same thing? Uh huh...and how successful were those three again? [/quote]
If this is in fact true, then I for one think it sucks. I was afraid this was happening with "Naturally Stoned" but my fears did not extend to the point of them focusing on GAMES. If GSN is going to become a Video Gamer channel then I will be getting rid of my digital cable. [/quote]
 I get GSN on basic cable. I'm thinking of upgrading to digital just to get ESPN Classic and maybe G4 because pretty soon, Sports Challenge, Superbowl of Sports Trivia, and Starcade will be the only classic game shows on TV.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2003, 04:39:54 PM »
If GSN is going to become a Video Gamer channel then I will be getting rid of my digital cable.

I don't think this will EVER happen. G4 isn't that powerful of a network, and if GSn tried to do that, they'd get creamed, so I don't think that will ever happen.

I'm thinking of upgrading to digital just to get ESPN Classic and maybe G4 because pretty soon, Sports Challenge, Superbowl of Sports Trivia, and Starcade will be the only classic game shows on TV.

Geez. Would you lighten up?
insert signature here

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2003, 04:47:49 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Jul 2 2003, 03:39 PM\'] Geez. Would you lighten up? [/quote]
And what if I don't? :D

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2003, 04:49:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jul 2 2003, 03:22 PM\'] For those "classics" lovers (myself included), I think the best we can hope for a few years down the line is a "GSN2", where the vault/library product would have an outlet.  Even "thericker" on the GSN boards didn't rule it out.

It just seems that the GSN that was in 1994, is no longer. [/quote]
 thericker only said that to get us to shut up. GSN2 can't happen. It was hard enough making one GSN successful.

Dan Sadro

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2003, 09:18:53 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 2 2003, 03:20 PM\'] FYI, it's useless going to GSN and complaining. They censor people who disagree with them. [/quote]
 Firstly, it's their boards, their bandwidth, their expenditure.  Why not?

Secondly, it's not people disagreeing with them, it's people disagreeing with a concept that they haven't seen in action.  How are people supposed to give accurate feedback (positive and negative, natch) unless they've seen what they're going to do?

Going back in the thread...

Weren't Burt Luddin's Love Buffet, All New 3's A Crowd, and Extreme Gong meant to [gain a younger demographic]? Uh huh...and how successful were those three again?

Try whammy, Cram, and Lingo, and see how your analogy works then.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2003, 04:40:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan Sadro\' date=\'Jul 2 2003, 08:18 PM\']
Weren't Burt Luddin's Love Buffet, All New 3's A Crowd, and Extreme Gong meant to [gain a younger demographic]? Uh huh...and how successful were those three again?

Try whammy, Cram, and Lingo, and see how your analogy works then. [/quote]
 What I meant was, BLLB, AN3aC, and EG shot for a really young demographic similar to this video game crap. Whammy, Cram, and Lingo aim for a slightly older audience, IMO.

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2003, 04:52:01 PM »
Whammy, Cram, and Lingo aim for a slightly older audience, IMO.

Lingo, maybe. But not Whammy! or Cram.

Dan Sadro

« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2003, 03:39:09 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 3 2003, 03:40 PM\'] [quote name=\'Dan Sadro\' date=\'Jul 2 2003, 08:18 PM\']
What I meant was, BLLB, AN3aC, and EG shot for a really young demographic similar to this video game crap. Whammy, Cram, and Lingo aim for a slightly older audience, IMO.
Whammy, Cram, and Lingo shoot for the same 18-49s that BLLB, AN3aC, and EG did.  BLLB and AN3aC don't seem to have any appeal for anyone younger than, say, 16 or 17.  Whammy and Cram could easily appeal to people as young as 9 or 10, and Lingo could appeal to 12 and 13 year olds.

Video games have most similar appeal to Whammy, I imagine.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2003, 04:13:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan Sadro\' date=\'Jul 4 2003, 12:39 PM\'] Video games have most similar appeal to Whammy, I imagine. [/quote]
 Ya know (and I'm only half-joking about this), if GSN wants to throw the video game thing at the wall, without alienating the game shown fans, why not pick up Hit Man? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe