Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Name That Tune" Revival for the USA - but filmed in Australia.  (Read 11874 times)

pownster

There were rumours many months ago that a major US network were planning to produce a new game show in Australia for the US market, and now the plans are confirmed. The producers, Eureka Productions, are taking advantage of the relatively low Covid-free environment cases in Australia to allow audience members to attend. Contestants will largely be made up of American ex-pats in Australia, although some big name US stars are going to be involved in the series.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2020/10/name-that-tune-to-film-in-sydney.html
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

BillCullen1

Re: "Name That Tune" Revival for the USA - but filmed in Australia.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 02:19:27 PM »
Actually, NTT has been on here in the colonies for a few seasons. It's called "Beat Shazam." But the live orchestra will make it more like the original version.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 07:17:59 PM »
Actually, NTT has been on here in the colonies for a few seasons. It's called "Beat Shazam." But the live orchestra will make it more like the original version.
In all fairness, they’ve been trying to revive NTT in the States long before “Beat Shazam” premiered.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BillCullen1

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 09:30:21 PM »
Yes indeed, valid point. Elizabeth Banks did a pilot for NTT in 2017. She has since found work on another game show :).

pownster

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 09:22:13 PM »
A follow up article has been published on Aussie TV blog site "TV Tonight" - it has been announced that Jane Krakowski will be hosting the revival - with Randy Jackson serving as Musical Director. Filming is about to commence in Sydney and will conclude in early December.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2020/11/jane-krakowski-randy-jackson-for-name-that-tune.html

Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 05:51:56 PM »
Interesting. I wonder if they'll pair with Beat Shazam?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 05:58:33 PM »
A promo just dropped (no show elements, as taping starts Friday) - it’ll be paired with Masked Dancer.
@lambertman

weaklink75

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 07:12:57 PM »
A promo just dropped (no show elements, as taping starts Friday) - it’ll be paired with Masked Dancer.

Here’s the press release:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2020/11/18/fox-presses-play-on-revival-of-popular-musical-game-show-name-that-tune-premiering-wednesday-january-6-on-fox-546012/20201118fox01/

Main things:

-each hour-long show will be 2 separate games
-each game will be 2 players one-on-one
-early rounds will vary from show to show
-final round will be Bid-A-Note
-player with most cash after Bid-A-Note plays Golden Medley
-$100K Golden Medley top prize

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 07:42:05 PM »
Each contest features a rotating variety of games from the original format, before the iconic Bid-a-Note round.
Given how many different games were used across the James, Kennedy, and Lange runs, that's a good sign. Props for using Bid-A-Note and the Golden Medley, too.

My only concern right now is that FOX will likely do a spoilerific promo-type cold open at the top of each hour like they've done with other game shows.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2020, 08:32:58 PM »
I guess they consider Beat Shazam to be a summer show? Wouldn't be surprised if they filmed a Father's Day episode (I think they've done that in past). So, they're just going to keep hold of it until next summer since they know they probably won't be able to have an audience when they go to film another season. I get why, but disappointed.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 04:03:10 AM »
I hope this NTT utilizes standards and classic showtunes (nothing against Hamilton and other contemporary Broadway shows), just to differentiate it from Beat Shazam.  The problem is you generally lose the key demographic when you break out the Gilbert and Sullivan.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 08:48:17 AM »
I hope this NTT utilizes standards and classic showtunes (nothing against Hamilton and other contemporary Broadway shows), just to differentiate it from Beat Shazam.  The problem is you generally lose the key demographic when you break out the Gilbert and Sullivan.

Krakowski is steeped in classic Broadway.  She even has a Tony award.   I too hope that we'll have a broader selection of music than what Beat Shazam offers.  American Idol and even Dancing with the Stars have appealed to the entire family, not a specific demographic, by doing just that.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JakeT

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 06:38:40 PM »

Krakowski is steeped in classic Broadway.  She even has a Tony award.   I too hope that we'll have a broader selection of music than what Beat Shazam offers.  American Idol and even Dancing with the Stars have appealed to the entire family, not a specific demographic, by doing just that.

I wouldn't get your hopes up...the promo I've seen demonstrates trying to guess a Billie Eilish song in three notes...from that promo alone, I found myself tempted to say "nahhhhh...pass..." already...

calliaume

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 06:50:09 PM »

I wouldn't get your hopes up...the promo I've seen demonstrates trying to guess a Billie Eilish song in three notes...from that promo alone, I found myself tempted to say "nahhhhh...pass..." already...
This was (to me) the problem with the 1970s version of the show--the songs seemed to be primarily from the prerock era (that may have changed a bit the last couple of years of the Kennedy run). And that probably appealed to their primary audience target of people in their 30s, 40s, and 50s, but as a preteen and teen I was often hopelessly lost. I hope they do try to appeal to a broad crosssection of age groups, but I imagine that would be a challenge.