Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: “All trips originate from Los Angeles”...or do they???  (Read 2834 times)

BrandonFG

“All trips originate from Los Angeles”...or do they???
« on: October 27, 2020, 12:38:54 PM »
I’ve been watching “$ale” on BUZZR, and one thing I notice during the credits is Jay Stewart occasionally says “All trips originate from Los Angeles”. If an East coaster like myself won a trip to say, NYC or even one of the islands, would I be able to arrange so that I can fly out of my home airport or a major hub like Atlanta, and thus claim less on my taxes? Better yet, would I be able to make alternate transportation plans like driving, and simply claiming the hotel room and spending money?

It just seems like a lot of work for someone like me to fly from Virginia to Cali, then back to NY.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

splinkynip

Re: “All trips originate from Los Angeles”...or do they???
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 12:48:32 PM »
I think it depends on where you live and if they would save money.  When I was on wheel in 1987, I lived in NJ (still do). They were happy to pay for my trip to Orlando flying out of Newark instead of LA. If I were to win a trip to Hawaii, I would have to fly out to LA. At my own eleven and they would cover the flight from there to Hawaii.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 12:59:36 PM »
It's possible said disclaimer is more about the trip's retail value on the show. Like the text disclaimer on Price that all prices are manufacturer's suggested retail unless otherwise stated.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

calliaume

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 01:46:06 PM »
I think it depend(ed) on the show. I had a friend who was a second-place finisher on Jeopardy before they went to cash for the runners ups. She told me her trip started from New York (where she lived), but was told the following year they would all be from LA.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 03:31:57 PM »
I’ve been watching “$ale” on BUZZR, and one thing I notice during the credits is Jay Stewart occasionally says “All trips originate from Los Angeles”. If an East coaster like myself won a trip to say, NYC or even one of the islands, would I be able to arrange so that I can fly out of my home airport or a major hub like Atlanta, and thus claim less on my taxes? Better yet, would I be able to make alternate transportation plans like driving, and simply claiming the hotel room and spending money?

It just seems like a lot of work for someone like me to fly from Virginia to Cali, then back to NY.

I worked in the prize department for "Wheel" for one season. When I worked there, at least, "originate from Los Angeles" was just to establish the value of the trip. The contestant essentially won a voucher for free airfare to be redeemed at whatever starting point they wished. The airline would then adjust the value of the voucher and notify us of the true price of the flight that they took, and their tax forms would be adjusted accordingly.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 05:39:53 PM »
Various Redditors who have been contestants on Price have confirmed that establishing a base-line price is the reason that all trips originate from LA, and then after the show they were informed that the show would cover any additional costs when flying out from an airport close by to where the contestant lives.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 06:05:37 PM by SuperMatch93 »
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 05:45:23 PM »
Did they define what "close by" is?
This signature is currently under construction.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 06:05:52 PM »
Did they define what "close by" is?

Bad wording on my part. Close to where the contestant lives.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 07:56:04 PM »
Thanks everyone!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

That Don Guy

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 09:39:17 PM »
Here's a strange one (that I've probably asked before): on, say, TPIR, when they give away a "trip to Los Angeles" (e.g. a Beverly Hills Shopping Spree, or tickets to the Grammys that include transportation), would they fly a contestant that lived out in New York to Los Angeles?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 12:01:12 AM »
It stands to reason yes.
Travis L. Eberle

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 12:47:35 AM »
Here's a strange one (that I've probably asked before): on, say, TPIR, when they give away a "trip to Los Angeles" (e.g. a Beverly Hills Shopping Spree, or tickets to the Grammys that include transportation), would they fly a contestant that lived out in New York to Los Angeles?
If it’s not mentioned, it’s not offered.