Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mark Goodson Holdings, Library Of Congress  (Read 11195 times)

Eric Paddon

Re: Mark Goodson Holdings, Library Of Congress
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2021, 02:49:29 PM »
Narz episodes aired on weekend mornings up to the onset of the DP.    The last Narz episode to air on the schedule was the second episode of a week with Yankee outfielder Bobby Murcer.

Wood episodes aired daily overnight at about 5 or 6 AM I think up to when the DP started.

What time does the Sondheim-Remick Password air on the 16th?     I haven't been watching the channel so I haven't seen the promo and I'm not up on the current schedule.

snowpeck

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2021, 03:42:04 PM »
What time does the Sondheim-Remick Password air on the 16th?     I haven't been watching the channel so I haven't seen the promo and I'm not up on the current schedule.
Looks like it kicks off their Broadway Matinee marathon at 3 p.m. Eastern. It's in a 40 minute time slot so it should include original commercials.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

calliaume

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2021, 07:15:05 PM »
Narz episodes aired on weekend mornings up to the onset of the DP.    The last Narz episode to air on the schedule was the second episode of a week with Yankee outfielder Bobby Murcer.

Wood episodes aired daily overnight at about 5 or 6 AM I think up to when the DP started.
This makes sense. I have one Narz episode (with Bobby Murcer) and three Gene Wood episodes in my videotape collection (too bad I don't own a VCR, and all of them were taped LP mode).

My notes show that S&P apparently looked the other way during one Wood episode; Tom Poston blatantly cheated as time was running out and he got away with it.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2021, 05:56:04 AM »
It is possible that there wasn't a Standards & Practices presence at any of the G-T shows produced exclusively for syndication and without a network station group involved.

There were syndicated nighttime versions of MG, FF and TPIR produced in conjunction with the ABC and NBC station groups and a S&P representative was always present. AFAIK the Narz version of Concentration was not produced for a network station group and there may have been no S&P. It was before my time.

Bryce L.

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2021, 07:03:11 AM »
Also, there is the fact that the Narz/Wood era of BTC taped in Canada; do they have any rough equivalent of 47 U.S.C. 509 on their books up there?

nowhammies10

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2021, 08:24:40 AM »
[Does Canada] have any rough equivalent of 47 U.S.C. 509 on their books up there?

AFAIK, not specifically as it relates to game shows.  The Competition Act has provisions for contests where you have to buy something in order to participate (McDonald's Monopoly, RRRRoll up the Rim to Win, etc.), but that didn't even come on to the books until 1985.

calliaume

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2021, 09:26:12 AM »
In this case, the only "loser" was the production company, who paid out whatever amount of money the couple received at the board they wouldn't have received otherwise. That version didn't have any bonus or endgame for whatever couple did the most stunts or accumulated the most money, so it's not like the other couple got cheated out of anything.

The 1970s Beat the Clock had such a low prize budget, it might have cost about the same to edit the show to take out the "completed" stunt as it would to pay them the money.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2021, 02:30:41 AM »
Also, there is the fact that the Narz/Wood era of BTC taped in Canada; do they have any rough equivalent of 47 U.S.C. 509 on their books up there?

I don't know about Canadian law, but the shows aired in the U.S. so section 509 applied.

B&E did several syndicated shows without the involvement of a network station group. The last thing they needed was another quiz scandal, and laws were in place in the '70s that weren't in place in the '50s.

Bob Noah would know all about this but he doesn't seem to want to talk. So would Ron Greenberg.

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2021, 08:54:48 PM »
Good episode, especially for an All-Star ep-- glad to see that the people at BUZZR came up with a reason to show it.

And Pat Packard **really did** look like Joan Fontaine...

- Kevin

Eric Paddon

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2021, 01:50:21 AM »
She certainly did!    Fooled us completely in the publicity pix.

By my count there are still three 67 night shows unaccounted for that apparently did not air on GSN when 67 night shows were part of the regular Password night cycle.     Barbara Feldon-Jim Backus (which I know GSN skipped when they were airing these) Florence Henderson-Eli Wallach, and Gloria and Jimmy Stewart.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2021, 09:00:36 AM »
I knew I knew the name Pierre Salinger but couldn’t remember why, and just looked it up. “Wow,” I said to my wife, “When’s the last time you saw a White House Press Secretary on a game show?” and she *immediately* responded, “The current one, on Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me.” i had to admit I’d forgotten about that appearance, although it seemed far more on-brand for an NPR show than a prime time TV episode. Also I did not point out, in the interest of marital stability, that she *heard* rather than *saw* Ms Ptaki.

Still, though, this Password was a delight.
czambo@mac.com

Eric Paddon

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2021, 10:32:48 AM »
A year later, Salinger appeared on "Batman" as the crooked lawyer of the Joker and Catwoman in an episode.     Then in the late 70s he reinvented himself as an ABC News correspondent.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2021, 11:18:52 AM »
I knew I knew the name Pierre Salinger but couldn’t remember why, and just looked it up. “Wow,” I said to my wife, “When’s the last time you saw a White House Press Secretary on a game show?” and she *immediately* responded, “The current one, on Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me.” i had to admit I’d forgotten about that appearance, although it seemed far more on-brand for an NPR show than a prime time TV episode. Also I did not point out, in the interest of marital stability, that she *heard* rather than *saw* Ms Ptaki.

Dee Dee Myers on one of the Power Players weeks of Celebrity Jeopardy! would also count.

George Stephanopoulos kinda sorta counts - he was a de facto Press Secretary for the first months of Bill Clinton's first term - but he's done so much that that role was a blip on his radar, a lot more than Salinger.

gamed121683

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2021, 11:52:07 AM »

Dee Dee Myers on one of the Power Players weeks of Celebrity Jeopardy! would also count.

Absolutely! She also did a week of Hollywood Squares back in '99. At that time, she was a consultant on the show The West Wing.

calliaume

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2021, 10:08:55 PM »

Still, though, this Password was a delight.
I just looked this up—Eisenhower press secretary Jim Hagerty appeared on WML? a couple of times as a Mystery Guest.

EDIT: He was actually a Mystery Guest in 1957 and a panelist later that year. In 1961, after Eisenhower left office, Hagerty became vice president of ABC News, replacing... John Daly.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 10:51:19 AM by calliaume »