Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mark Goodson Holdings, Library Of Congress  (Read 11216 times)

Marshall Akers

Re: Mark Goodson Holdings, Library Of Congress
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2020, 01:42:13 PM »
One of the LOC's Moving Image technicians reached out during the period they were cataloguing the TTTT collection for help dating one of the shows that GSN never aired (the LOC's copy was a summer rebroadcast).  The happy result: two episodes no longer branded with unknown contestants at http://www.ttttontheweb.com/ttttnighttimeguide.html.  Dates are 10/25/65 and 02/07/66.

Marshall

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2020, 04:44:11 PM »
Well, the LoC holdings have at least sixty-seven episodes of I've Got a Secret than neither GSN nor Buzzr have aired, and now this operation has my attention.  Most are from 1954-55, during the Winston era, but there are others as well.  Most notable from a historical perspective is probably the 1/22/53 episode with Monty Woolley.  This is the one referenced by both Gil Fates and Allan Sherman in their memoirs,  Woolley apparently blustered on live television that his "secret" was made up and forced on him by Sherman.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2020, 05:17:56 PM »
The 12/25/66 episode of Password is interesting too-- I was contacted by someone looking for it for Mr. Sondheim years ago, but had no info at that time.

The episode was apparently an "All-Star" affair, with eight (!!) different celebs playing in different combinations--  from the pictures I found at Getty Images, it was:  Phyllis Newman, Stephen Sondheim, Lee Remick, Pierre Salinger, Peter Lawford, Otto Preminger, Audrey Meadows and someone they list as being "unidentified", but who I believe is Joan Fontaine.

Here's a link to the best pic:
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/phyllis-newman-stephen-sondheim-lee-remick-unidentified-news-photo/106670426?uiloc=thumbnail_more_from_this_event_adp

I'd like to see **that** show (as well as the late-1961 daytime eps, of course)!

- Kevin
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 05:31:14 PM by TwoInchQuad »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2020, 05:31:57 PM »
I'd like to see **that** show!

Seconded!  I'd always assumed it exists, but this is the first time I've seen proof. 

Eric Paddon

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2020, 05:38:51 PM »
Yes, I think the "unidentified" one has to be Joan Fontaine.      And that would be a great episode to see even if just in it's B/W kinescope version!      Lee Remick did a number of daytime weeks in the pre-66 period but this was her only night show.

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2020, 06:30:33 PM »
Hmm...

I was just forwarded a clip from a contemporary 1966 newspaper listing that states that the unidentified woman in the Getty Images pic may be Lee Remick's mother, actress Pat Packard.  Of course, the same clipping also **doesn't** mention Otto Preminger.

Anyone want to hazard a guess on this one?  I can't find an image of Ms. Packard for comparison... but that woman in the pic really looks like Joan Fontaine to me.

- Kevin

Eric Paddon

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2020, 06:38:43 PM »
I heard about Packard too and yeah, I can't find a confirming picture but then again you'd think Getty would have known to identify Joan Fontaine if it was her.    If it is Packard all I can say she'd be a dead ringer for Fontaine at that point!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2020, 08:09:10 PM »
That's Joan Fontaine.

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2021, 02:34:41 PM »
I just received a reminder from someone to the effect that BUZZR is going to show the Sondheim episode of Password on May 16th...!

Guess it helps to point people in the right direction...

- Kevin

Eric Paddon

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2021, 06:12:39 PM »
Did they find the videotape version prepared for the syndicated package or are they going to use the kinescope?    Either way, it'll be great to see it!

Bryce L.

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2021, 07:03:56 PM »
Did they find the videotape version prepared for the syndicated package or are they going to use the kinescope?    Either way, it'll be great to see it!
Considering that promos for that event show the Sondheim footage in B&W, I'd assume the kinescope.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2021, 10:43:40 PM »
Did they find the videotape version prepared for the syndicated package or are they going to use the kinescope?

The research manager from MT&R, who tracked down the episode, says that it is indeed the kinescope.
czambo@mac.com

That Don Guy

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2021, 12:03:26 PM »
With the exception of a few Daytime Price episodes, probably the most interesting for me is the 1969 Beat the Clock. Probably the pilot?

I know GSN aired at least one Gene Wood episode (it was back before it ran overnight infomercials, and it aired in the "extra hour" on the day DST ended one year); I'm surprised there aren't more of those included.

JMFabiano

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2021, 12:33:53 PM »
With the exception of a few Daytime Price episodes, probably the most interesting for me is the 1969 Beat the Clock. Probably the pilot?

I know GSN aired at least one Gene Wood episode (it was back before it ran overnight infomercials, and it aired in the "extra hour" on the day DST ended one year); I'm surprised there aren't more of those included.

I remember Wood BTC being on GSN's regular schedule at least around 1997, wanna say the weekday 6 am slot? 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

BrandonFG

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2021, 01:13:07 PM »
I think they aired on weekend mornings in the late-90s, around fall 1998. I could be thinking of the Narz run though.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!