Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Price is Right Season 49:Covid-Style  (Read 3392 times)

urbanpreppie05

Price is Right Season 49:Covid-Style
« on: October 05, 2020, 12:32:55 PM »
https://deadline.com/2020/10/the-price-is-right-returns-to-production-redesigned-set-no-audience-77-games-1234591178/

-No virtual Audience.(Last rumor I heard, all Southern CA contestants, 9 for each taping. There was a rumor of using 30 for the "audience" and having them sit for a few shows, but that was changed)
-all 77 games will be back while maintaining social distancing. There will be changes where people stand, etc.
-The set has also been rebuilt with decking has been put on top of the area that the audience used to sit and each contestant on Bidder’s Row are now six feet apart.
-The Showcase Showdown: contestants will be all spinning the wheel. They’re able to all touch the wheel, though they will have to sanitize their hands first, and after the first wheel spin, the wheel will be sanitized for the next wheel spin. No Wheel condoms here.

I really, really like what they've done here!
insert signature here

BillCullen1

Re: Price is Right Season 49:Covid-Style
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 01:12:50 PM »
Wow. I give Fremantle props for trying this, with all the games in rotation. They could have easily limited this to 50 games or so. It's either this or show reruns till Lord knows when, even though they have enough shows in the can. Not that it really matters, but to quote Bob Barker, "Roger, what do you have to say?"

Is that the back of the audience area where the podiums (or podia) are?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 02:51:00 PM »
Not that it really matters, but to quote Bob Barker, "Roger, what do you have to say?"

His first comment on Facebook below:

It will have the look and feel of a more traditional gameshow, which is OK. I think the overall plan is fine in order to get the show back on the air. The only two concerns I have is 1) the contestants...I hope they don't over-produce them and rehearse them, since they now are pre-selected way in advance now have contact with the production staff....I would hate to see them seem phoney like the contestants on most of the newer gameshows today, 2) Drew Carey...he won't have an audience to play to, which I think, as a stand-up comic, he needs. When I worked with him that first year, I always got the feeling he was only playing to the studio audience rather than the home TV audience. Most good hosts play to the TV audience and only use the studio audience as a gauge of what the home audience might be feeling (remember how Bob would sometime disagree with the audience reaction to certain events?) The home TV audience has different needs than the studio audience.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 02:53:26 PM »
Is that the back of the audience area where the podiums (or podia) are?

I don't think so.  Contestants' Row might be a little farther back than usual (or maybe not -- I'm horrible at measuring by sight), but it's basically...well, in Contestants' Row.  That strip of lights on the floor near them is in the same place it always is, at what would normally be the top of the audience pit.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 03:36:37 PM »
Contestants' Row might be a little farther back than usual (or maybe not -- I'm horrible at measuring by sight)
I think that's right. My rough estimate is that contestants would be standing in one of the first two rows or thereabouts.
This signature is currently under construction.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 03:43:40 PM »
Using the floor plan from this site, and eyeballing the locations of the light strip and handrail visible in the Deadline.com picture, I'd estimate that this new Contestants' Row is on top of what would be the third or fourth row of the center audience section.

JMFabiano

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 09:39:07 PM »
Since they need not call people out of the audience,  will this lead to Price dropping last names?  Yeah it's nitpicky yet I understand why they do it, but still
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 12:36:12 AM »
Looks like we'll be getting a sneak peek into what Price will look like now as there are two primetime episodes of the show scheduled for next Tuesday (10/27) and the following Monday (11/2) marked as "New." At first, I assumed this was just a mistake on my guide's end and these were either repeats of previous TPIR @ Night's or rebranded daytime episodes. But Amber Lancaster has mentioned on Instagram that she filmed a primetime episode today. So, color me surprised and excited.

Let's Make A Deal also has a primetime episode planned as well to follow TPIR on the 27th under the title "Let's Make A Deal Primetime"
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 08:45:25 AM »
Good eye, jjman. Looks like another Primetime LMaD is set for December 21st.
@lambertman

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 01:28:56 PM »
Here's a press release for both TPIR and LMAD.

10/27 will be a healthcare/frontline worker's special for both shows. Price on 11/2 will be a celeb special featuring the cast of The Neighborhood.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.