Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tattletales - Dick Sargent & Fannie Flagg  (Read 8643 times)

JakeT

Tattletales - Dick Sargent & Fannie Flagg
« on: September 19, 2020, 10:09:45 PM »
As the most out of gay men, watching these two utterly lie through their teeth to answer the questions gives me the major ookies...

I so understand performers being closeted in the 70s but there just was no reason to deliberately put themselves into a situation where they knew they were deceiving their fans for a five day stint...

JakeT

snowpeck

Re: Tattletales - Dick Sargent & Fannie Flagg
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 10:41:38 PM »
It was more than just Tattletales. They were each other's "beards" in Hollywood for several years. At one point there were (intentionally spread) rumors that they were married to each other.

It's sad the lengths celebrities went to in those days to hide their sexual orientations.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

JakeT

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 11:08:11 PM »
It was more than just Tattletales. They were each other's "beards" in Hollywood for several years. At one point there were (intentionally spread) rumors that they were married to each other.

It's sad the lengths celebrities went to in those days to hide their sexual orientations.

I totally understand putting out an impression that may not be true but I feel duped as a gay man when they intentionally take jobs (like apppearing on Tattletales) where they know they will be making a deliberate effort to deceive the viewers...why take that particular job?  We know it didn't pay much.  I suppose Fannie did it as a favor to Mark Goodson since she was a fan favorite on Match Game '7*...

It's one thing to dance around questions from fans and reporters...it's another thing entirely to purposely lie to their fans in a situation they should have avoided in the first place...

All that being said, I will always adore Fannie Flagg...Dick Sargent has always been a total meh to me...

JakeT

JMFabiano

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 04:48:12 AM »

I totally understand putting out an impression that may not be true but I feel duped as a gay man when they intentionally take jobs (like apppearing on Tattletales) where they know they will be making a deliberate effort to deceive the viewers...why take that particular job?  We know it didn't pay much.  I suppose Fannie did it as a favor to Mark Goodson since she was a fan favorite on Match Game '7*...

It's one thing to dance around questions from fans and reporters...it's another thing entirely to purposely lie to their fans in a situation they should have avoided in the first place...

All that being said, I will always adore Fannie Flagg...Dick Sargent has always been a total meh to me...

JakeT

Tons of Bewitched watchers would agree about that last part.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Casey

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 08:05:38 AM »
I don’t think CNR was fooling anyone when he was on TattleTales with 2 different women. 

While the premise of the show focused on romantic couples, it wasn’t always so, and it is very possible for a gay man to be good friends with a gay woman.  It’s also possible they would know entertaining things about one another.  They were certainly bearding for each other also, but for me, it doesn’t diminish the entertainment value.

chrisholland03

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 11:18:39 AM »
That was the double-edged sword of the 80s Tattletales. 

More times than not, the lack of chemistry between the non-romantic couples was palpable and painful to watch.  It didn't help that they didn't consistently change the questions.  Every now and then you run into legit BFFs or family members that like each other. 

BillCullen1

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 12:01:11 PM »
I don’t think CNR was fooling anyone when he was on TattleTales with 2 different women. 

Actually it was more than two. Julie Harris, Elizabeth Allan, Karen Morrow and Dody Goodman. This includes both versions of TT.  For a gay guy, CNR sure got around.  ;)

calliaume

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 12:45:51 PM »
Tons of Bewitched watchers would agree about that last part.
I'm one of the minority that preferred Dick Sargent to Dick York. This is primarily because 1) when I started watching the show in reruns, Channel 5 was in the Sargent era and it took months before I saw a Dick York episode, and 2) after five years of being turned into a gorilla, a three-legged stool, and a teenage boy by my in-laws, I'd be pretty cranky too.

For what it's worth, Fannie Flagg and Dick Sargent only appeared on the show once (per the series' episode guide, which isn't complete). CNR made seven appearances over the two runs of the show with four different women, as mentioned.

Otm Shank

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 02:28:46 AM »
I have to think it was a deliberate inside joke to have gay partners named Dick & Fannie.

[groucho]
Puts a whole new meaning in the banana section.
[/groucho]