Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stations which haven't shown syndicated games in years  (Read 4127 times)

TimK2003

Re: Stations which haven't shown syndicated games in years
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2020, 10:10:43 PM »
IIRC, in the 14 years I've been out in Western Colorado, I don't ever recall seeing a syndicated game show on the Grand Junction ABC Affiliate, KJCT. 

Their now-sister station, NBC-11/KKCO, has had the Wheel/J! franchise that whole time -- and they moved the latter to early afternoons at 4PM about 5 years ago to add an extra newscast at 6PM leaving Wheel at 6:30.  And the CBS/Fox/MyTV combo of stations (KREX/KFQX/KGJT) have pretty much picked up all the other syndicated game shows over the years.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2020, 10:37:32 PM »
WMAQ (Chicago) last had DoND in 2010 and MG Crosswords in 2007, but before then? Combs' Feud?

WBBM hasn't had a syndie game since losing Hollywood Squares in 2004.

Unless my memory is shot, WCIU had a gap since Donnymid (2004) and Funny You Should Ask

Didn't Karn Feud air on the U for a while, or was that pre-2004?
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2020, 11:50:57 PM »
Going back to New York for a second: if I’m not mistaken, they too hadn’t had a game show airing there in awhile before 25 Words or Less; they had the current Feud twice and the second season of Donnymid, and I believe To Tell the Truth for a brief period before it got cancelled, but they’ve never really been big on carrying game shows as long as I’ve been alive. They had Double Dare, Finders Keepers, the block with Talk About and Jackpot that went belly up midway through the 89-90 season, and then the revivals of the Dating and Newlywed Games from the late 90s. Anything else, unless you wanna count American Gladiators (for the sake of this argument, you might), has pretty much been network material like Greed or the last season of Fun House.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

chargeradiocom

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2020, 01:28:54 PM »
In Cincinnati, it would probably be WLWT. The last syndie they ran was Bergeron Squares IIRC. All the other full-power stations currently run or have run something within the last 10 years. (If we count low-power WBQC, they may have gone longer, though they did run BUZZR on one of their subchannels for a couple years.)

On the flip side... In neighboring Dayton (whose channels can be received in northern parts of the Cincy market), each of the Big 4 affiliates currently runs at least one syndie game show. Dayton is one of the rare markets where Wheel & J! are on separate stations, with Wheel on WHIO & J! on WDTN. (It’s been that way for as long as I can remember, back to when I was a kid in the 80s, so I assume the two stations have a grandfathered arrangement.) WKEF has Feud & 25 Words. WRGT has Funny You Should Ask, albeit shoved into late nights. WBDT doesn’t run anything currently, but it’s one of those CW stations that kind of gets the syndie leftovers, so I’d be surprised if they haven’t run a syndie game show within the past few years.

danderson

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2020, 01:44:26 PM »
WYFF Greeneville SC hasn't run one since Tic Tac Dough with Patrick Wayne. That's 30 years ago.

JMFabiano

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2020, 04:44:02 PM »
Going back to New York for a second: if I’m not mistaken, they too hadn’t had a game show airing there in awhile before 25 Words or Less; they had the current Feud twice and the second season of Donnymid, and I believe To Tell the Truth for a brief period before it got cancelled, but they’ve never really been big on carrying game shows as long as I’ve been alive. They had Double Dare, Finders Keepers, the block with Talk About and Jackpot that went belly up midway through the 89-90 season, and then the revivals of the Dating and Newlywed Games from the late 90s. Anything else, unless you wanna count American Gladiators (for the sake of this argument, you might), has pretty much been network material like Greed or the last season of Fun House.

WNYW 5, yes?

Super Pay Cards and Cross-Wits were there too, I believe.  This was pre-Fox era of course. 

Of the NYC indies, I always considered W(W)OR to be the gaming channel, as it were.  As they had the Barry-Enright shows, $100,000 Pyramid (Clark/Davidson), $1MCOAL, Face the Music, various rerun packages, and others. 

I actually considered WPIX less when I thought game shows in the NYC market...though they had $50K Pyramid and the last season of Davidson Squares.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2020, 07:04:29 PM »
Channel 11 had a fair amount of stuff. They were the original New York home for Tic Tac Dough, had the last season of the 80s version of the Newlywed Game (not sure about the Dating Game), the entire run of the Don Bleu hosted Gong Show, the first two seasons of Fun House, the Jim Peck-hosted episodes of You Don’t Say, Gladiators 2000, and all the ones I previously mentioned; Street Smarts was a late night staple there for many years.

They actually had the last season of both of the first two syndicated editions of Hollywood Squares; through a prior discussion I found out they had to share rights with WABC and only aired the show two or three days a week. (That’s in the case of the Las Vegas season, as opppsed to the Universal Studios season where Squares simply moved from WABC to WPIX)

But for what it’s worth in New York, I dare say the king of game shows has been WWOR by far. If there was a new show coming down the pike, it would often find its way onto channel 9 somehow. That’s how we got to see The $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime, Bullseye, The New Price Is Right, and a bunch of others. They even gave us the original Pictionary (kids), Pick Your Brain, Click, and Peer Pressure to keep the younguns interested.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 03:41:52 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Ryanmo97

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2020, 08:37:30 PM »
My station, WWTV/WWUP in Cadillac MI.  I've worked there for 24+ years and in that time we've never aired a game show in syndication.  Off-net reruns (I still know every single episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond" by heart), judge shows, "Martha Stewart Living" for a while, "Ellen", paid programs, and as a CBS affiliate we've had network stuff (TPiR, LMaD, Power of Ten, Winning Lines, etc), but I don't recall any syndicated games.

We did have the '94 TNPiR for its season (that promotional toy pinball machine that floats around on eBay every so often used to be in our lunchroom), but that's the last one.
I live in Northern Michigan too and I think the last game show our Fox station had was Joker's wild 90. Our abc station I think had Wheel and Jeopardy then they moved to our NBC station.

Ryanmo97

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2020, 08:39:44 PM »
I just remembered the ABC station here in Northern Michigan did have Donnymid.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2020, 03:18:13 PM »
WMAQ (Chicago) last had DoND in 2010 and MG Crosswords in 2007, but before then? Combs' Feud?.

WBBM hasn't had a syndie game since losing Hollywood Squares in 2004.

Unless my memory is shot, WCIU had a gap since Donnymid (2004) and Funny You Should Ask

Didn't Karn Feud air on the U for a while, or was that pre-2004?

You might be right. Feud, TTTT, and Card Sharks had the block in 2001-02, and when Donnymid left, it might've been there until O'Hurley took over