Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune season 38 debuts 9/14/2020  (Read 12207 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Re: Wheel of Fortune season 38 debuts 9/14/2020
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2020, 05:09:10 PM »
I’m pretty sure the FCC doesn’t take kindly to baits and switches.
They don't.

Unless it's from a telecom company, in which case they take it constantly.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2020, 05:46:54 PM »

Geraldo Rivera has entered the chat

That wasn’t a bait and switch; that was just dumb luck.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

rebelwrest

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2020, 06:50:41 PM »

Although it was entertaining (in a more schadenfreude sense) to see Geraldo try to keep the hype alive by saying some of the found loose bottles was for "moonshine bathtub gin".

/My favorite line about Geraldo came from the now defunct Business 2.0 magazine's list of the 101 Dumbest Moments in Business for 2001
//19. CNN 1, Fox News 1: The Fox News Channel hires Geraldo Rivera. And sends him to Afghanistan. With a camera crew. And a return ticket.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2020, 10:18:48 PM »
Agreed. There's a difference between legitly not knowing what you'll find (but going in prepared given Capone's history) and coming up empty, and (for example, and this is probably a lousy one but it's the only one coming to mind) something akin to a "Tonight, somebody dies!" promo that only shows the main cast but the episode itself ends up killing off some random person.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

pds319

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2020, 12:34:22 AM »
Looking at nowhammies10's comparison shots, they seem to be pushing the graphics to the bottom edge of title safety, but still protecting for 4:3. My guess is they didn't want to go too crazy adjusting shots, so they went with a slight graphics adjustment.

If there's anyone still watching the show on a tube TV, there's a high chance the standard definition feed is letterboxed. Or if they're my wife's grandparents, they're watching the SD feed zoomed in so the sides are cut off. Really, my guess for why they're still protecting for 4:3 is because that's the "look" of the show, but the graphics push make me think they'll eventually start filling out more of the screen in the (probably distant) future.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2020, 08:41:06 PM »
It must have been something small (like everyone eating a cookie at the end of the show) because I didn't notice anything.  Anyone want to enlighten me?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Marc412

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2020, 09:02:10 PM »
It must have been something small (like everyone eating a cookie at the end of the show) because I didn't notice anything.  Anyone want to enlighten me?
Apparently it was just Vanna wearing the same dress twice.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2020, 10:36:19 PM »

All I could think of is Julie (center contestant) referenced her wife. I haven't been a faithful viewer the last year. Have other LGBT+ contestants in the past been allowed to use "husband" and "wife" rather than "partner" or some other phrase?

(Not spoiler blocking because it's not gameplay, and I'm speculating out my ass.)

EDIT: I thought Marc was joking. Looking at WoF's Instagram, it looks like he's right.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2020, 11:04:27 PM »

All I could think of is Julie (center contestant) referenced her wife. I haven't been a faithful viewer the last year. Have other LGBT+ contestants in the past been allowed to use "husband" and "wife" rather than "partner" or some other phrase?

(Not spoiler blocking because it's not gameplay, and I'm speculating out my ass.)

EDIT: I thought Marc was joking. Looking at WoF's Instagram, it looks like he's right.
Kinda frustrating that I don't have the episode on hand and being blessed with the gift of retaining game show minautae, but I know that this has happened before. I recall it was shortly after the music changed in 2017 and thinking "wow, that's a first"

EDIT: I don't have the disc with the full episode on hand as it's in storage, but I believe it was the contestant Michael in this posted closing from 1/6/17.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ActbZufjosc
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 11:18:42 PM by Blanquepage »

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2020, 12:15:51 AM »
This has happened with a decent amount of regularity over the last 2-3 years.

Allstar87

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2020, 01:46:59 AM »
Apparently it was just Vanna wearing the same dress twice.

Funny that they hyped it up as the "first time in Wheel history" when that's happened many, MANY times before.

Heck, some dresses she wore thrice.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2020, 03:34:49 PM »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Kevin Prather

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2020, 06:01:23 PM »
With almost every round 4 starting in Speed-Up, and the wheel being set up 20 spaces from the $5000, I'm starting to think we may have seen the last $6000 speed-up. Pat's spin is pretty consistently 12 spaces.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2020, 11:58:41 PM »
Yeah, I have to imagine both his age and an abdominal surgery haven't helped to stregnthen his spin power. I will say the only hope for a $5,000 speed up is if there's time and players have a chance to spin in the 4th round. Which isn't a completely lost hope since I believe one show so far has had enough time to allow for round four spinning.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.