Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune season 38 debuts 9/14/2020  (Read 12254 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Re: Wheel of Fortune season 38 debuts 9/14/2020
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2020, 09:36:31 PM »
I'mma go with something not gameplay related. Like a marriage proposal.

Or maybe it has something to do with the middle picture at the end of the TVLine article. Pat doesn't usually look that engrossed in the middle of a round.

Otm Shank

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020, 02:54:13 AM »
Worth noting - Sony is now claiming that "Something happens within the first two weeks of shows that has never happened before in the history of the show."

https://www.viacomcbspressexpress.com/cbs-television-distribution/releases/view?id=55898

Any guesses?

Puzzle solved with no letters on the board?

Considering the triple toss-up puzzles have something in common in addition to the category, that the most likely place that could happen.
Can't recall the source, but I've read that the signaling devices aren't activated until the first letter goes on the board, thus "no-lettering" a Toss-Up would be impossible. Soonest they could be solved is on the first letter (which has been done).
Yeah, a Toss-Up doesn't begin until Vanna touches the letter closest to her.

cmjb13

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2020, 07:52:30 AM »
Pat doesn’t phone it in for any part of the show?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Loogaroo

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2020, 02:34:01 PM »

Seems like that would be a strange thing to do when you don't have a studio audience to hijack.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2020, 03:50:13 PM »

Seems like that would be a strange thing to do when you don't have a studio audience to hijack.

You know, bringing that up...how many times, in the long and storied history of the game show, has a proposal in fact happened?

I can only think of one example and I was in the building when it happened; wondered what happened after.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Fedya

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2020, 06:57:36 PM »
I hope the proposee said to ask them in private later, because putting them on the spot in front of a whole bunch of people like that is really bad form.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2020, 08:16:11 PM »

I'd think the "national television" aspect would be the grander gesture.

Although now it occurs to me to wonder whether Wheel is even letting each contestant bring a supporter onto the restricted set. That's a lot of extra bodies to potentially spread the virus, especially when only one-third of them will be seen on television.

You know, bringing that up...how many times, in the long and storied history of the game show, has a proposal in fact happened?

On Jeopardy!, it's happened on at least three different occasions.

At The Price Is Right, it's already happened more than enough times.

Then on a whim, I searched YouTube for proposals on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? and got two results from the U.S. and one from the Philippines.

I'm going to assume there have been others (Let's Make a Deal, I'm looking at you).

SuperMatch93

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2020, 09:57:24 PM »

There were at least one each on the US and UK Deal or No Deals. I remember the former because the camera took a close shot of the Kay® Jewelers box before it opened.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Allstar87

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2020, 10:43:02 PM »
I'm aware of two from Family Feud; once on an O'Hurley Big Money Tournament episode, and once on a general Harvey episode.

One first season episode of Winsanity had a really quick one at the end; a contestant went for the $10K and car because he wanted to use the money to get married to his girlfriend. He ended up getting it right, and proposed during the ending celebrations.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2020, 10:04:22 PM »
Non-spoiler observation of the first show so far:

They redesign the whole set for social distancing, and the first thing we see is Pat and Vanna walking in arm-in-arm.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2020, 10:38:44 PM »
And with a Prize Puzzle of AMAZING LOCATION, they seem to have finally run out of ideas.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2020, 10:55:05 PM »
Since I don’t wanna quote Scott’s post in its entirety, I’ll just simply say thank you and state that apparently I underestimated the frequency of such events.

The one thing I remember about the first Millionaire example you cited was the buildup. We knew what he was gonna do, and we all wished him well. I was just glad he got to tape his episode when he was able to; he would’ve had to wait a couple days otherwise and I don’t know if he woulda been able to pull it off.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2020, 11:14:33 PM »
Is it just me not watching for a while or was the category graphic on the very bottom of the screen a new thing?
they seem to have finally run out of ideas.
If I had a nickel every time someone says this I could buy a vowel.

/My guess on the "never been done before" is Pat eats a hot dog with ketchup on it.
This signature is currently under construction.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2020, 09:36:55 AM »
Non-spoiler observation of the first show so far:

They redesign the whole set for social distancing, and the first thing we see is Pat and Vanna walking in arm-in-arm.
I mean, the two of them have been working together so long, they're basically seen as America's Platonic Couple. I'm sure they're tested often and both trust each other like members of their immediate families. Meanwhile, I'm not sure (and I doubt given how long results could take) that contestants are tested day of taping, and there's no true way to know if contestants have been responsible between the most recent time they were tested and taping other than trust.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.