Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jay Leno- GS Host? "You Bet Your Life..."  (Read 12887 times)

Mike Tennant

Re: Jay Leno- GS Host? "You Bet Your Life..."
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 01:04:50 PM »
Will Leno make our next successional game show host poll, or will he follow in the footsteps of Buddy Hackett and Bill Cosby (or even Richard Dawson)?

Tom Werner, who's co-executive-producing Leno's version, must have a thing for YBYL (or perhaps owns the rights to it). He also served as co-executive producer for the Dawson pilot and the Cosby series.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 02:20:33 PM »
Both David Letterman and Conan O'Brien expressed interest in the job, but Jay beat them to the punch. :P

/I keed
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 02:37:19 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 08:41:10 PM »
The hard part of someone replacing Groucho is that he spent a career developing a personality that included abrasiveness towards others in his humor. The audience loved it when someone could put something over on Groucho, and he also knew how to turn the tables on himself for a laugh. Groucho was as much a created character as he was a person. People known as nice guys might find it a bit harder to put that abrasiveness into their style. The title creates expectations from those who remember Groucho's version. The original was more than quips - there were the occasional adversarial guests who tried to top the master. The biggest hurdle for the show will be comparisons. The fewer people who remember the original, the better Jay's chances. I wish him well.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 09:04:12 PM »
My counter to that is that the most recent version went off the air 27 years ago, so there’s at least one generation that barely remembers or has never heard of YBYL. It would be a way to introduce the 18-49 demographic to a classic, and maybe even Leno himself. The youngest side of that demo was only in middle school when Jay retired for good from late night TV.

Bonus points if one of the rerun channels picks up Groucho’s version. This would be great on MeTV.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 09:22:05 PM »
Wasn’t Groucho’s version being carried on PBS at one point? Or am I thinking of something else?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 09:26:58 PM »
It was. I’m not sure when, but I wanna say within the last 20 years.

narzo

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 10:42:20 PM »
Wasn’t Groucho’s version being carried on PBS at one point? Or am I thinking of something else?

I vividly recall watching it on PBS in the mid to late 70's.  The last time I recall seeing it on TV was when "HA!" debuted and it was on in the mornings. 

snowpeck

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 12:08:11 AM »

I vividly recall watching it on PBS in the mid to late 70's.  The last time I recall seeing it on TV was when "HA!" debuted and it was on in the mornings.
It pops up in overnights on Decades once in a while.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

BillCullen1

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 08:16:20 AM »
Carson hosted game shows before he became host of "The Tonight Show."  Leno's doing it after. 180 episodes gives them 36 weeks. Groucho was one of a kind, but I think Leno could pull this off.

KWJCDon

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 08:29:00 AM »
YBYL is also on Jewish Life TV most weekday afternoons and on Thursday evenings.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 08:34:09 AM »
Here's the thing I don't get: YBYL, as a game, was nothing. It was only Groucho's banter with the contestants that made it work. Aside from some sporadic reruns, that version has been off the air for 60 years, and neither Hackett's nor Cosby's version is very well-remembered. How much cachet does the name of the show have with the average American under 60? If you want to do a game show that's mostly Leno interviewing people, why not just invent your own and give it a new name? Calling it YBYL only sets Leno up for the inevitable--and probably unflattering--comparisons with Groucho among older viewers while doing little to attract younger viewers.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 11:52:08 AM »

Let's not just count the TV version. Up until the program got retired a couple months ago, Wisconsin Public Radio's "Old Time Radio Drama" regularly included "YBYL" in its lineup. I doubt I was the only young'un listening in to it.

tvwxman

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2020, 07:08:40 AM »
Here's the thing I don't get: YBYL, as a game, was nothing. It was only Groucho's banter with the contestants that made it work. Aside from some sporadic reruns, that version has been off the air for 60 years, and neither Hackett's nor Cosby's version is very well-remembered. How much cachet does the name of the show have with the average American under 60? If you want to do a game show that's mostly Leno interviewing people, why not just invent your own and give it a new name? Calling it YBYL only sets Leno up for the inevitable--and probably unflattering--comparisons with Groucho among older viewers while doing little to attract younger viewers.
You think about it - how is it different from the current version of the Tonight Show? Jimmy Fallon (badly) interviews celebs, and then other celebs come out and they play a game.

Come to think about it, I'm kinda surprised Jimmy and Higgins' Game of Games hasn't become a spinoff yet.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Stackertosh

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2020, 07:27:41 AM »
This makes me think of Jay Leno Segment "Jaywalking" i can see him pulling this off well. I miss him on Late Night tv.