Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jay Leno- GS Host? "You Bet Your Life..."  (Read 1557 times)

JMFabiano

Re: Jay Leno- GS Host? "You Bet Your Life..."
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 11:19:44 AM »
Wasn’t Groucho’s version being carried on PBS at one point? Or am I thinking of something else?

Let's not just count the TV version. Up until the program got retired a couple months ago, Wisconsin Public Radio's "Old Time Radio Drama" regularly included "YBYL" in its lineup. I doubt I was the only young'un listening in to it.

Yeah wasn't it called "Best of Groucho" when reran? 
Post over.  You may enter your smarmy comebacks here.

alfonzos

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2020, 01:04:44 AM »
This show is doomed. YBYL had contestants who had been interviewed and all the topics and jokes were set up and, of course, you had Groucho on hand to add his own touch. Plus, all the interviews were edited and contestants were mixed and matched between shows. Jay is good but he's no Groucho. Why don't they revive Two for the Money? The host can compare himself favorably to Herb Shriner and Sam Levinson.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

chargeradiocom

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2020, 06:03:52 PM »
I’m interested in checking it out. Jay can be good at drawing outrageous answers from civilians, as we saw in his “Jaywalking” segments (which for my money was one of the more entertaining features of his Tonight Show run).

If the new YBYL is based around Jay trying to emulate Groucho & get laughs from his own zingers, it will probably fail. But if the humor is more centered around outrageous civvie answers with Jay setting up & playing off of them, I think it can work. It may feel a bit more like a Bob Eubanks-hosted show than Groucho’s YBYL (as Eubanks was also a master of drawing out funny civvie answers), but I think that could be the more successful route for this.

Neumms

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2020, 01:10:35 AM »
Besides the fairly dull game, which rarely involved betting anything, a comedian interviewing civilians for five minutes just doesn't seem that interesting anymore. I can imagine Leno being a funny host of something, but this isn't it.

I'd much rather see Letterman's Know Your Cuts of Meat as a half-hour show, presumably without the young assistant he was diddling on the side.

chris319

• Executive Producer
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2020, 04:30:48 AM »
Don't let's forget that Groucho's lines on YBYL were almost 100% scripted on the basis of contestant pre-interviews. Groucho basically sat on a stool and read his questions and comebacks off a projection screen.

If Buddy Hackett and Bill Cosby couldn't pull it off, what makes anyone think the much-less-talented Jay Leno can?

Contestant selection and writing are important. If they cast wannabe actors/comedians who are trying way too hard to call attention to themselves and compete with Jay for the audience's attention, it ain't gonna work. I see a lot of this on Match Game-Hollwood Squares Hour. Some of the panelists are downright disruptive.

I've seen Leno live twice at his club in Hermosa Beach. Not a lot of talent there.

I occasionally watch MGHS Hour when I've had enough riot and coronavirus coverage on the news.

Neumms

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2020, 09:46:46 PM »
I see a lot of this on Match Game-Hollwood Squares Hour. Some of the panelists are downright disruptive.

Including Jay Leno.

I watched a Buddy Hackett episode on YouTube last week and enjoyed it. Buddy was spontaneous and unpredictable, as opposed to Leno, and the sidekick added something. There was a short monologue, one funny story really, and three individual contestants, and despite the bland game, it was a pretty good half-hour.

What do you remember of it?