Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ken Jennings becoming J! Consulting Producer...  (Read 5039 times)

weaklink75

Ken Jennings becoming J! Consulting Producer...
« on: September 03, 2020, 01:03:38 PM »
https://tvline.com/2020/09/03/jeopardy-returns-new-episodes-alex-trebek-ken-jennings/

He'll be making video categories, work on show-related projects, and be a general ambassador for the show....(and maybe eventually transition to host? Anyway, this probably takes him out of The Chase I would think....)

jage

Re: Ken Jennings becoming J! Consulting Producer...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 01:09:15 PM »
Good for him. I guess he's done with tournaments, but you can only go to that well so many times and he's the GOAT, so what else is there to prove.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 03:34:29 PM »
I guess he's done with tournaments
Now I want them to shoot a silly wrestling-style promo about Ken un-retiring for some super mega tournament some 5-10 years from now.
This signature is currently under construction.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 03:43:37 PM »
Good for him. I guess he's done with tournaments, but you can only go to that well so many times and he's the GOAT, so what else is there to prove.
Alex alluded to the super tournaments being done for a while during the GOAT tourney, and with Ken winning the big one, it seems at least HE'S done for now. Brad and James are a different story.

With him featuring so prominently, I wonder if that means the Clue Crew is done- they still have a page on the site for now, but that's the only part of the show I felt got long in the tooth- this helps with that.

Obviously it's hard not to wonder if this is part of the succession plan- if so, I just hope it doesn't include Alex starting a game of Boar on the Floor. IYKYK.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Casey Buck

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 05:18:43 PM »
Picture of the set

The podiums are now individual, and they brought back the globe to the logo!

Clay Zambo

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 05:33:41 PM »
Picture of the set

The podiums are now individual, and they brought back the globe to the logo!

GORGEOUS. I'm glad for the individual lecterns. I've missed them.
czambo@mac.com

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 07:21:24 PM »
Picture of the set

The podiums are now individual

That is quite nice. I wonder if it's the lighting or the exposure setting of the photo, but it does look a little more like the GOAT set. I do prefer the separate lecterns over the relative monolith of recent times; hopefully they'll stay once social distancing is no longer necessary.

and they brought back the globe to the logo!

Certainly a nice nod to the old days.

With (Ken) featuring so prominently, I wonder if that means the Clue Crew is done- they still have a page on the site for now, but that's the only part of the show I felt got long in the tooth- this helps with that.

I also wonder if the Clue Crew is on the way out. It sounds like Ken will be quite busy in fulfilling the roles of the whole crew with some of these shows*/categories.

And I do wonder if he'll be top candidate once Alex decides to call it a career.

(*=Edited way after the fact. I'm not Ed Sullivan.)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 11:55:50 AM by Chief-O »

DoItRockapella

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 09:40:46 AM »
Somewhat related - the full credit roll on wheeloffortune.com now lists PAT SAJAK as a Consulting Producer.

https://www.wheeloffortune.com/more/the-show

As for Ken, I'm definitely interested in seeing what happens here. If he really is being groomed as the new host, I personally would be fine with that.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 01:25:26 PM »
and maybe eventually transition to host?

Obviously it's hard not to wonder if this is part of the succession plan

And I do wonder if he'll be top candidate once Alex decides to call it a career.

In the teaser video posted by the show, at the 15-second mark, Alex specifically says, "Don't worry -- I'll still be the host."

Whether it's addressing the question that naturally springs to everybody's mind or it's protesting a little too much is left to the viewer's interpretation.

TimK2003

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 05:29:54 PM »
Ken's CP title likely includes the duties of being the unofficial "Emergency Host" should Alex suddenly not be able to perform his hosting duties.

To some extent, this could play out like how the final few years of The Jokers Wild (1980s) did:  Ken could be playing the role of Jim Peck as the "fill in" host (if/when needed) until Sony finds their "Bill Cullen" to become the new permanent host.

JakeT

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 06:47:23 PM »
As much as Ken is beloved as a player and a personality, I just don't think he has the gravitas to host J!  He still has a bit too much of that "aw shucks" and less of a stage command about him...

JakeT

Kevin Prather

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 09:21:53 PM »
I always figured that Brad Rutter would get offered the job before Ken, since Brad has actually hosted a quiz show before.

tvwxman

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 09:29:52 PM »

I absolutely think this is a succession plan. And even if Trebek needs to take a few weeks off, you have a  sub-host right there.

This is a good move. Much better than Anderson Cooper.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tvwxman

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2020, 09:31:41 PM »
I always figured that Brad Rutter would get offered the job before Ken, since Brad has actually hosted a quiz show before.

What show was that?

Sorry, but outside of the Jeopardy world, no one has heard of Brad Rutter. Ken Jennings' Q score is much higher. Heck, even Jeopardy James registers more than Brad. Nothing against Brad, but, no.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2020, 10:56:51 PM »

What show was that?

"Inquizitive", a high school quiz show in PA.