Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rarest episodes from non-erased series  (Read 8229 times)

snowpeck

Re: Rarest episodes from non-erased series
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2020, 01:12:20 AM »
WOF episodes with Summer Bartholomew, Vicki McCarty, etc. Filling in between Susan's departure and Vanna's joining the show.  Alex Trebek subbing for Chuck in 1980 and for Pat in 1985. Episodes with Johnny Gilbert and Don Morrow announcing in the 80s.
Note the title of the thread. Non-erased.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2020, 02:01:47 AM »
WOF episodes with Summer Bartholomew, Vicki McCarty, etc. Filling in between Susan's departure and Vanna's joining the show.  Alex Trebek subbing for Chuck in 1980 and for Pat in 1985. Episodes with Johnny Gilbert and Don Morrow announcing in the 80s.
Note the title of the thread. Non-erased.
Some of the stuff he's asking about is out there. Here's an episode (very poor quality) of Summer standing in. And I know for a fact I've seen a daytime episode with Johnny announcing (though I can't remember the exact date, somewhere in '88 around Jack's death)

How long did NBC wipe daytime? I'd like to see the episodes where Susan came back to fill in when Vanna took time off for bereavement in the mid-80s.

I'll also throw in basically all of NYSI '89 since '74 has been run so often. Still don't understand the disinterest in running the series.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2020, 03:27:22 AM »
Here's an episode (very poor quality) of Summer standing in.
Jamey specifically mentioned the period between Susan and Vanna. The clip montage you linked is from 1979.

I'd like to see the episodes where Susan came back to fill in when Vanna took time off for bereavement in the mid-80s.
One of those is out there (June 20, 1986 daytime).

How long did NBC wipe daytime?
I don't think it's 100% clear if it was NBC or Merv Griffin Productions that did the wiping, but apparently the daytime archives start in 1985 or at the beginning of '86.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

JMFabiano

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2020, 09:55:15 AM »
I'll also throw in basically all of NYSI '89 since '74 has been run so often. Still don't understand the disinterest in running the series.

So the Chuck Henry embargo was a myth all along?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2020, 11:20:37 AM »
Did anyone ever compile a list of episodes that exist out there only because someone recorded it on a home recorder (studio master probably gone)?

Certainly some of Chuck's Wheel of Fortune episodes would qualify; a few nighttime Hollywood Squares from the '70s, two Musical Chairs episodes from Oct '75 to name a few.

I'm sure there are a lot of others I can't think of off the top of my head.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

SamJ93

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2020, 12:07:34 PM »
That week's worth of Three On A Match episodes recorded by the returning champion comes to mind. That, the audio-only copy of the finale posted here a while back and perhaps a few other stray eps. floating around is probably all there is.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2020, 12:12:02 PM »
A *lot* of 70s Pyramid episodes fall under this category.   I think Pyramid holds the record for most off-air constestant recordings etc. prior to when the holdings begin (June 12-16, 1978)

March 28, 1973 (June Lockhart-Rob Reiner) (First four minutes)
March 30, 1973 (June Lockhart-Rob Reiner) (Second win in history of show)
June 13, 1973 (Kaye Ballard-Richard Deacon) (Preston has said he was the one who recorded it)
March 1, 1976 (Anne Meara-Nipsey Russell) (Sue Dolleris recording)
April 20, 1976 (Marion Ross-Larry Linville) (4 minute clip of Winners Circle)
November 2, 1976 (Phyllis George-David Groh)
November 3, 1976 (Phyllis George-David Groh)
February 9, 1977 (Adrienne Barbeau-Jack Carter)
March 31, 1977 (Carole Ita White-Ron Glass)
September 12-16, 1977 (William Shatner-Leonard Nimoy) (Full week)
October 28, 1977 (Rita Moreno-Tony Randall) (Winner's Circle Only)
February 24, 1978 (Anne Meara-Nipsey Russell) (Marc Archembault recording)
February 27, 1978 (Joyce Bulifant-Ron Glass) (Marc Archembault recording)
April 28, 1978 (Adrienne Barbeau-Soupy Sales)

The two 1976 shows that have been in the hobby (Loretta Swit-Clifton Davis;  Jo Anne Worley-Tony Randall) I believe were "rescued" archival master tapes.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2020, 02:15:25 PM »
Re: NYSI 89; I would say that there’s not a lot of episodes that would make it worth it, but Beat The Clock got 19 weeks in 79 and so did Split Second in 87, so there’s that.

Maybe NYSI just doesn’t do well enough for Buzzr to justify bringing a newer version of it to their air.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SuperMatch93

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2020, 04:35:35 PM »

Yes, a while back Adam Nedeff asked someone at GSN why it was never on, and it was simply because no one in programming was interested in airing it.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2020, 06:29:05 PM »

Yes, a while back Adam Nedeff asked someone at GSN why it was never on, and it was simply because no one in programming was interested in airing it.

Which made for an interesting series of exchanges once that info came out.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

That Don Guy

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2020, 12:51:07 AM »
"The Diamond Head Game" when it aired on Sunday nights did not get up to the point when it had some kind of format change I've read about.   We did get the infamous "Mercedes Benz" episode Bob talks about in his memoir (though he ends up being way off on a number of details)

Was there a main game format change? The only change I remember was in the bonus round - IIRC, they got rid of the ones (as well as the $1000 and higher bills), only five bills got pulled out of the bag, and the contestant could risk the money for a one-in-five chance of winning a car.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2020, 01:39:09 AM »
Going by the Wiki description there was a main game format change.     This is the description of the second version which did away with the "islands" part and the True/False buzz-in.

"Two teams of three contestants competed in three question-and-answer rounds. A category was announced, along with five possible answers. Eubanks read a statement and the teams tried to match one of the answers to the statement. Each contestant had their own buzzer. A correct answer earned their team points (10 in round 1, 20 in round 2, and 30 in round 3), while an incorrect answer or failure to respond allowed the opposing team to answer (conferring was allowed here).

"The team with the most points after three rounds advanced to the base of Diamond Head and competed against each other for the right to play the Money Volcano; ties, if any, were broken by sudden-death round. In this part of the game, anything other than a right answer earned a player a strike and two strikes eliminated a player."

JMFabiano

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2020, 10:26:34 AM »

Previous thread?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2020, 10:56:56 AM »

Previous thread?

http://www.gameshowforum.org/index.php/topic,31252.0.html
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983