Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Survey: Greatest Succession Game Show Hosts  (Read 8091 times)

Matt Ottinger

Re: New Survey: Greatest Succession Game Show Hosts
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2020, 09:06:47 AM »
I'm probably in the minority, but I think Davidson did an amicable job on Squares . That said, I grew up with his version, so...
I'd say we all did around these parts.

You're adorable.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BillCullen1

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2020, 10:54:57 AM »
Having seen a taping of John Davidson's Squares when it was at Radio City in NYC. yes it looked smooth on TV. That's because they edited out John's mistakes - and Good Lord, there were mistakes. Missing cues, not hearing the "Secret Square" cue. Seemed like it took forever to get through three shows. Of course. JM J Bullock showed John no mercy. John has nice dimples, but he's dumb as an ox. 

TimK2003

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2020, 08:35:39 PM »
Davidson wasn’t bad, but the show was just so badly produced. Two full rounds of play and no traffic cop as a host equals bad. Bauman was no Peter Marshall but he kept the game rolling. (Then again, the production staff at Goodson was light years ahead of the one at Century Towers, so...)

Harry Friedman wasn’t working his magic back then unfortunately.

Davidson did a good job with the cards he was dealt on Squares.  What really tarnished that version were those cheesy vignettes you had to sit through after selecting a star but before the celebrity was asked their question.

And yes, trying to keep Jim J. In his seat was a tall order for John.

danderson

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2020, 08:02:39 PM »
Having seen a taping of John Davidson's Squares when it was at Radio City in NYC. yes it looked smooth on TV. That's because they edited out John's mistakes - and Good Lord, there were mistakes. Missing cues, not hearing the "Secret Square" cue. Seemed like it took forever to get through three shows. Of course. JM J Bullock showed John no mercy. John has nice dimples, but he's dumb as an ox.

I was thinking, was that the most mistakes you've seen a host make live?

BillCullen1

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2020, 10:19:20 PM »
I was thinking, was that the most mistakes you've seen a host make live?

It's a close call between John and Mike Darow of "The $128,000 Question" but yeah, I give the most mistakes award to John.

I'll never forget that April Fool's episode pf HS where the two contestants got into a brawl and one toppled over the edge. The look on John's face was priceless.