Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: LMAD 8/20, Dean hosts a game  (Read 6691 times)

BrandonFG

Re: LMAD 8/20, Dean hosts a game
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2020, 04:09:57 PM »
The second season was when Lorimar merged with Telepictures, and there were quite a few ads in “Broadcasting” magazine that discuss the merger. One of the ads showed all of L-T’s syndicated offerings, including LMAD.

I also noticed all of the new wipes. I guess they wanted to get as much mileage out of the new technology as possible.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

snowpeck

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2020, 05:19:35 PM »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

calliaume

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2020, 07:44:04 PM »
This is what Monty was up to in early 1986.
Interesting. It almost reads like Monty's version of Three Wishes (a short-lived NBC reality show starring Amy Grant that ran half a season in 2005, and was probably axed a little too hastily). But I can see why it didn't go to series.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2020, 12:22:03 AM »
How much does it cost to rent a studio for a day? I feel like moving to Toronto was pennywise and pound-foolish for Split Second, especially if they could have stayed in Los Angeles and given Tom Kennedy something to do.
Travis L. Eberle

WhammyPower

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2020, 12:11:13 PM »
Video for those who missed Thursday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcAODseBpcw

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2020, 06:02:00 PM »
How much does it cost to rent a studio for a day? I feel like moving to Toronto was pennywise and pound-foolish for Split Second, especially if they could have stayed in Los Angeles and given Tom Kennedy something to do.

Maybe, but how much of the rest of the crew were paid in Loonies?
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

nowhammies10

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2020, 11:13:50 AM »

The Canadian dollar was so low compared to the U.S. dollar at the time. Historical data for 1986 shows a peak in February where US$1=CA$1.44.  Hatos-Hall were getting, on average, a 40% savings on production costs simply by moving things to Canada.  They were smart, too: Split Second was produced out of the CHCH facilities in Hamilton, which is an hour's drive from downtown Toronto.  CHCH was not affiliated with any of the major broadcast systems in Canada (CTV, CBC, Global) at the time, so there was probably some savings there as well. Most games of that era that did tape in Toronto proper either taped at the Global facility in Don Mills or at CFTO in Scarborough.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2020, 11:26:23 AM »
I also assume Monty’s “host” salary was less than hiring an outsider would’ve cost.
@lambertman

calliaume

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2020, 01:13:10 PM »
I also assume Monty’s “host” salary was less than hiring an outsider would’ve cost.
And there's the CanCon factor; Monty was born in Canada. I think they would have had to jump through some hoops to have Tom Kennedy host and tape in Toronto.

nowhammies10

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2020, 01:26:48 PM »
Right. Monty being Canadian also meant that they didn't need to hire a Rod Charlebois as an on-screen counterpart.