Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: LMAD 8/20, Dean hosts a game  (Read 6694 times)

BrandonFG

LMAD 8/20, Dean hosts a game
« on: August 20, 2020, 11:54:26 PM »
Tonight’s episode features Dean Goss serving as dealmaker for one segment. Supposedly, had the show gone for a third season, Dean would’ve became the new host. However, I believe station managers wanted Monty or nothing at all.

All that being said, Dean made a damn good host. Hopefully someone posts the episode.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
Re: LMAD 8/20, Dean hosts a game
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 12:16:22 AM »
This was Dean's second time hosting a segment of the show; his first time aired about 2 weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bji43CHn1G8

And yes---he did do a wonderful job, especially considering LMAD really isn't the easiest show to host. I do think it would've been a good idea, though, if Monty announced.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 12:25:07 AM »
I do think it would've been a good idea, though, if Monty announced.
I expected that too, and I think Dean was caught slightly off-guard when it came to the product descriptions. Monty did a great job playing second banana, however.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

tvmitch

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 09:03:43 AM »
I expected that too, and I think Dean was caught slightly off-guard when it came to the product descriptions. Monty did a great job playing second banana, however.
My guess here is that Dean's prize descriptions were pre-taped, based on the handoff after the first description.

Dean was terrific. Wish he had more game show work during this era.

Question for the group. Does anyone recall seeing these Dean Goss episodes when Deal was rerun on USA, Family Channel, or GSN? I watched the show quite a bi, especially in those Family Channel days, and I don't remember seeing Dean on-camera.
You should follow me on Twitter

Bryce L.

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 09:09:48 AM »
Question for the group. Does anyone recall seeing these Dean Goss episodes when Deal was rerun on USA, Family Channel, or GSN? I watched the show quite a bi, especially in those Family Channel days, and I don't remember seeing Dean on-camera.
Can't speak for USA or Family Channel, but my understanding is that GSN never touched the Season 2 shows.

tyshaun1

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 09:35:28 AM »
Dean was terrific. Wish he had more game show work during this era.
I often wonder if Dean auditioned to host any of the shows he announced, like I'm Telling! or Bargain Hunters.

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 11:42:39 AM »
I know the Family Channel got to season two...I don't know how late they got, but I imagine they did show Dean hosting.

I say that because Buzzr recently aired an episode where a couple lost out on a Camaro, and Monty said they wouldn't be able to "See the USA in [their] Chevrolet..." I distinctly remember that seeing that episode on FAM.

TimK2003

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 01:32:42 PM »
Was the reason why they were on-air testing Dean because Monty had already committed to doing Split Second up north in Toronto, or did the SS project start later?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 05:15:55 PM by TimK2003 »

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 01:53:08 PM »
They should have taken a gamble on Dean Goss. He's quite good.

Also, did anyone notice the transition used from the opening credits to the start of the show was different? (I kinda liked it)
insert signature here

Sodboy13

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 02:00:49 PM »
I have noticed in the last couple of weeks of shows that they've been using digital wipe effects for transitions during prize reads. A little new tech at the time they got to implement.

I saw both Dean Goss segments, and was wondering if this was a way to guide him toward a hosting role. Agreed that he kept all the plates spinning well for someone with only two seasons' work on the show - at least as good as Geoff Edwards on his fill-in stint. Overall, I'm really enjoying this "new" batch of shows. You can tell the production's firing on all cylinders.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Casey

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 02:21:25 PM »
I saw both Dean Goss segments, and was wondering if this was a way to guide him toward a hosting role. Agreed that he kept all the plates spinning well for someone with only two seasons' work on the show - at least as good as Geoff Edwards on his fill-in stint.
How long was Brian Cummings the announcer?  Isn’t this season Dean’s only season?

Sodboy13

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 02:43:43 PM »
Whoops, that's my mistake.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 03:08:44 PM »
How long was Brian Cummings the announcer?  Isn’t this season Dean’s only season?

Yes---Brian did S1 and Dean did S2.

Also, did anyone notice the transition used from the opening credits to the start of the show was different? (I kinda liked it)

.......sorry, can't agree. That said, I can certainly ruminate and ramble about all the production quirks of "All New LMAD" season 2.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 03:23:41 PM »
I can certainly ruminate and ramble about all the production quirks of "All New LMAD" season 2.

More than happy to hear! I find a lot of that stuff interesting - it's not really cataloged anywhere. For instance, on the '78 syndie Dating Game, they tried the original (network) opening with Jim coming out from between the turntables a handful of times before deciding on the new version that put the game 1 intros in act 1.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

calliaume

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2020, 03:36:50 PM »
Was the reason why they were on-air testing Dean because Monty had already committed to doing Split Second up north in Toronto, or did the SS project start later?
Split Second didn't start airing until mid-December or so of 1986, so it probably wasn't on the radar when decisions had to be made about Let's Make a Deal. I don't know whether LMaD even went to NATPE in 1986, or if they knew a third season wasn't in the cards.