Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Networks of record.  (Read 10077 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Networks of record.
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2020, 03:58:32 PM »
See, I was always under the impression that the network of record was NBC, largely because of how many of its affiliates carry the show. (Wasn’t until later that, to my surprise, the affiliate count leader is actually CBS.)

Without any specific example to prop it up, I was always thought the O&Os were the determining factor, or at the very least that the NY, LA, and maybe Chicago markets made the determination. A larger sum total of affiliates airing a particular show really doesn't motivate the network to assign their expensive legal resources. But, if they are airing a syndicated game show on their O&Os, then the network would have a great deal of interest, since they have skin in the game.

That’s not a bad line of thinking, but in Jeopardy’s case you look at that ad and in those three markets you have a NBC O&O, a CBS O&O, and an ABC O&O airing the show in those three markets. Might not have worked out right in that case.

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

snowpeck

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2020, 04:16:26 PM »
I would've assumed ABC was the network of record for J!, mainly because of ABC S&P overseeing their tapings.

I believe ABC *was* J!'s (and WOF's) network of record at the time. (Despite previous versions of this post, I can't seem to find direct reference in the Eisenberg book. I may have seen this in the Trebek/Barsocchini book.) I'm not sure if they still are these days.

Page 38 of the Trebek/Barsocchini book (published in 1990):

Even though Jeopardy! is a syndicated show, since we air on two stations owned and operated by the Cap Cities/ABC Television Network, ABC is our "network of record." This means that we produce Jeopardy! under guidelines laid down by the ABC Department of Broadcast Standards and Practices.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2020, 04:37:36 PM »

Even though Jeopardy! is a syndicated show, since we air on two stations owned and operated by the Cap Cities/ABC Television Network, ABC is our "network of record." This means that we produce Jeopardy! under guidelines laid down by the ABC Department of Broadcast Standards and Practices.

Thanks--that very well may be where I heard about that. I don't have that book in my collection--just the aforementioned Eisenberg book.

/starts wondering if the local library still had that book

rebelwrest

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2020, 04:52:08 PM »

On a side path, in that ad for "Wheel of Fortune" you notice that New York and Los Angeles were not listed.  Did syndicated Wheel not air in NY or LA until the 2nd season?
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

tyshaun1

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2020, 05:03:55 PM »
On a side path, in that ad for "Wheel of Fortune" you notice that New York and Los Angeles were not listed.  Did syndicated Wheel not air in NY or LA until the 2nd season?
IIRC, Wheel was picked up for its first season by only 59 stations. If Chicago hadn't cleared it, it likely would've never went to syndication.

snowpeck

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2020, 05:30:39 PM »

From what I've seen, WCBS and KCOP didn't start airing Wheel until around March or April 1984.
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

calliaume

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2020, 06:36:44 PM »

From what I've seen, WCBS and KCOP didn't start airing Wheel until around March or April 1984.
Right. Per New York magazine, WCBS started airing Wheel in April 1984, replacing the local magazine show 2 on the Town.

If you look closely at the ad, it compares November 1983 sweep numbers (at the right) with February 1984 sweep numbers (at the left). It looks like they only listed markets where the show aired in both November and February and the numbers had gone up.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2020, 06:55:29 PM »
IIRC, Wheel was picked up for its first season by only 59 stations. If Chicago hadn't cleared it, it likely would've never went to syndication.

I remember checking the Chicago Tribune TV listings a while back and noticing that nighttime Wheel wasn't cleared until January '84.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Otm Shank

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2020, 03:09:08 AM »

THAT'S where I remember that from. Thanks!

TimK2003

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2020, 07:39:10 PM »
IIRC, J!s first season taped at ABC TV Center on Prospect.
 Could that be the reason why ABC was the network of record?

snowpeck

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2020, 07:50:19 PM »
The first season taped at Metromedia/KTTV.

Bryce L.

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2020, 08:06:58 PM »
Pretty sure the Eisenberg book says NBC was the network of record when they started, and that the switch to ABC S&P happened when the show moved from WNBC to WABC partway into Season 1.

tomobrien

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2020, 08:25:06 PM »
Pretty sure the Eisenberg book says NBC was the network of record when they started, and that the switch to ABC S&P happened when the show moved from WNBC to WABC partway into Season 1.

We definitely taped at Metromedia Square -- that much I'm sure of. And that mid-season switch would explain why my S&P letter came from NBC.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2020, 03:01:23 AM »
Here's one I haven't been able to pin down.

What is the network of record for Clark $100k Pyramid?

golden-road

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2020, 07:54:59 AM »
Here's one I haven't been able to pin down.

What is the network of record for Clark $100k Pyramid?

Both LA & NYC were RKO General stations at the time, so I don't believe there was one for them. I think the same applied to Davidson Pyramid.