Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Super Password production questions  (Read 2367 times)

ET206

Super Password production questions
« on: August 20, 2020, 02:00:40 AM »
Robert Sherman is listed as executive producer.  Then a few names later, Howard and Chester are listed as production executives.  So who actually ran the show?  What's the difference between the two jobs?  Also, SP was the only Goodson show to run the credits first, then have the announcer tag.  Is there any particular reason why they chose to be different?  (Wow, the things I worry about at 2 AM.)

JakeT

Re: Super Password production questions
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 09:04:49 PM »
Robert Sherman is listed as executive producer.  Then a few names later, Howard and Chester are listed as production executives.  So who actually ran the show?  What's the difference between the two jobs?  Also, SP was the only Goodson show to run the credits first, then have the announcer tag.  Is there any particular reason why they chose to be different?  (Wow, the things I worry about at 2 AM.)

I'm pretty sure that Robert Sherman was the regular day-to-day producer...I seem to recall Bert speaking to Bobby off-camera...Howard & Chester were probably utilitized more by that point as production consultants in the creation of the revival...

JakeT

Otm Shank

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 02:47:44 AM »
As for the position of the announcer tag in the closing credits, it was likely due to the cheesy jet effect with the production logo into the copyright slate. They really couldn't change the animation just so the order would match the manually keyed rolls which inserted the long credits between those two. My sense about having those earlier in the closing order just to avoid it being being trimmed in case a station or the network pulled out a little early.

Bob Zager

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 12:25:00 PM »
As for the position of the announcer tag in the closing credits, it was likely due to the cheesy jet effect with the production logo into the copyright slate. They really couldn't change the animation just so the order would match the manually keyed rolls which inserted the long credits between those two. My sense about having those earlier in the closing order just to avoid it being being trimmed in case a station or the network pulled out a little early.

Sounds reasonable to me!  However, IIRC, they likewise ran the credits first, before Rich Jeffries made the closing announcement on the short-lived Blockbusters revival in 1987!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 07:49:29 PM »
I know more about this than I can post publicly.

Goodson kept Howard and Chester on the SP payroll just because. Whether they had an actual job function is another matter.

I belive Diane Janaver and Joe Neustein actually ran the show.

I've seen stuff on SP that I wouldn't have allowed on P+.