Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BUZZR stuff on Amazon Prime  (Read 25902 times)

narzo

Re: BUZZR stuff on Amazon Prime
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2021, 10:28:32 PM »
Hi there,

FYI there's more of Bill's Blockbusters, now going up to #159.

I know, there's something wrong with me, I literally just thought "BILL RAFFERTY EPISODES ARE UP?  YAY!!!!!!!" 

Bryce L.

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2021, 10:30:30 PM »
To be honest, surprised his Blockbusters episodes haven't gone on the air yet, considering they've run a few weeks of his Card Sharks shows.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2021, 01:08:49 AM »
The fact that Buzzr hasn't aired more of Rafferty's Card Sharks probably explains why they haven't aired his Blockbusters. At least he's in the new promo.

At the risk of threadjacking, I've started to wonder whether Bill Cullen deserves more credit for making Blockbusters work. I really enjoy the game, but his tangents are what give the episodes a comforting daytime talk show kind of feel.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2021, 01:35:29 PM »
Rafferty was a little too smart alecky on BB and not particularly warm as a game show host. The lack of a set was also a minus. Give me Bill Cullen anytime
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tyshaun1

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2021, 08:08:53 AM »
Rafferty was a little too smart alecky on BB and not particularly warm as a game show host. The lack of a set was also a minus. Give me Bill Cullen anytime.
I'm in agreement that Rafferty just never seemed to really work for me on any show he did, notwithstanding Every Second Counts as I barely have any memories of that show. Between BB and CS however, I thought he was better on Blockbusters. I think the Goodson team was looking for somebody that could inject more comedy into their games, hence Rafferty, Combs, and them giving Bruce Forsyth a hard look before giving Eubanks the nod for Card Sharks.
As for the aesthetics, outside of the game board, I liked the '87 set better than the '80 set, but many of the Goodson shows in the 80's had cheap looking sets compared to their previous incarnations.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2021, 11:21:20 AM »
At the risk of threadjacking

Too late!

I've started to wonder whether Bill Cullen deserves more credit for making Blockbusters work. I really enjoy the game, but his tangents are what give the episodes a comforting daytime talk show kind of feel.

That's my boy.

Every Second Counts
was a great, forgotten gem that must have been crazy-challenging to host (especially the lightning-quick bonus round) and was probably Rafferty's best work.  Having to be compared with three iconic hosts for his two other gigs couldn't have done any favors to his reputation.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BillCullen1

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2021, 11:41:55 AM »
I never had a problem with Rafferty hosting BB or CS. He was a humorous host who didn't take himself too seriously. He was a smart aleck, but so were Eubanks, Rayburn and Sajak. I also thought Rafferty could have handled the Family Feud revival in '88.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2021, 01:40:10 PM »
I'm on "Team Rafferty" myself. That smart-alecky demeanor on all three shows were a departure from the predecessors. Bill mastered BB without a doubt.

/His standup was also pretty funny for the time.

TimK2003

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2021, 10:57:30 PM »
I never had a problem with Rafferty hosting BB or CS. He was a humorous host who didn't take himself too seriously. He was a smart aleck, but so were Eubanks, Rayburn and Sajak. I also thought Rafferty could have handled the Family Feud revival in '88.

Buzzr has a CS promo now that mentions all 3 hosts.  Is Rafferty's version currently airing somewhere on the sched?

snowpeck

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2021, 12:47:04 AM »

Buzzr has a CS promo now that mentions all 3 hosts.  Is Rafferty's version currently airing somewhere on the sched?

Not at the moment.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Bryce L.

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2021, 01:22:02 AM »

Not at the moment.
Though considering that at least one variation of that promo shows Rafferty footage from the prize cards era, it gives me hope that they'll bring it back to the lineup with fresh episodes eventually.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2021, 09:43:53 AM »
FYI, Double Dare '76 is now unavailable. Perhaps it's to make way for an on-air cycle of the series?
A rather baseless prediction, I admit, but one could hope.

Bryce L.

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2021, 12:29:44 PM »
20 more episodes of I've Got a Secret added, from 1962.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2021, 05:31:56 PM »
Those who don't have Prime can now get a BUZZR classics fix on STIRR on Demand with:
- 70 episodes of Card Sharks '78
- 71 of Feud '81
- 50 Password Plus '79
- 49 of Combs Feud '88

P+ and Combs Feud overlap with what's on Prime, Card Sharks and Feud look to be a different batch. There're a couple of non BUZZR items too, like Knights and Warriors and On the Cover. Nifty!

weaklink75

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2021, 06:31:53 PM »
Those who don't have Prime can now get a BUZZR classics fix on STIRR on Demand with:
- 70 episodes of Card Sharks '78
- 71 of Feud '81
- 50 Password Plus '79
- 49 of Combs Feud '88

P+ and Combs Feud overlap with what's on Prime, Card Sharks and Feud look to be a different batch. There're a couple of non BUZZR items too, like Knights and Warriors and On the Cover. Nifty!

Knights and Warriors? That's one that takes me back...