Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1975 NBC "Fun in the Morning" GS promo discovered!  (Read 13199 times)

SplitSecond

1975 NBC "Fun in the Morning" GS promo discovered!
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2003, 12:15:19 AM »
Shopper's Bazaar did have Buy a Vowel spaces, as well as a Free Vowel space (where one may call a vowel and not have to pay for it - personally, I think that should have stayed on instead of Buy a Vowel).  On the other hand, I don't seem to remember there being a Bankrupt space (though there was the aforementioned $0 space, which had a different function altogether).

The Wheel of Fortune pilots had the standard Lose a Turn, Bankrupt, and Free Spin spaces, as well as two Buy a Vowel spaces.  For the fourth round, there were 6 special spaces - two Lose a Turns, two Bankrupts, and two Buy a Vowels.  Lowest value on the wheel on both Wheel and Bazaar was $25 (not counting the $0 space on Bazaar), and highest value on both was $1,000.

Tetsujin Chico

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2003, 12:06:48 PM »
Pretty interesting to watch, really, especially with subtle movements toward overhyping MMM. Then in retrospect, looking at how dismal that show really was in viewer turnout.

~C

uncamark

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2003, 12:18:59 PM »
Pretty interesting to watch, really, especially with subtle movements toward overhyping MMM. Then in retrospect, looking at how dismal that show really was in viewer turnout.

1.  \"MMM\" was the baby of the bunch, meaning it would get the most hype.

2.  To be more precise, it was Lin Bolen's baby.  Going by her mixed track record up to that point, she seemed to have bet her job on the success of that show.  Both she and \"MMM\" barely made it into 1976.

zachhoran

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2003, 01:08:54 PM »
MMM at least was undismal enough in viewer turnout to make the $100 Answer to The Magnificent ________ on one of Monday's MG76 vertivision airings.

uncamark

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2003, 01:28:39 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 1 2003, 12:08 PM\']MMM at least was undismal enough in viewer turnout to make the $100 Answer to The Magnificent ________ on one of Monday's MG76 vertivision airings.[/quote]
And I would've had a hard time on that one.  The only other THE MAGNIFICENT __________ I could think of was an LA R&B disk jockey named The Magnificent Montague (one of the \"hey lawdy mama\"-type DJs who would shout encouragement to the singer over the records)--and I know damn well that unless a church group from Watts was in the audience that day, it would not show up on a \"MG\" Audience Match.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2003, 02:16:43 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jul 1 2003, 12:28 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 1 2003, 12:08 PM\']MMM at least was undismal enough in viewer turnout to make the $100 Answer to The Magnificent ________ on one of Monday's MG76 vertivision airings.[/quote]
And I would've had a hard time on that one.  The only other THE MAGNIFICENT __________ I could think of was an LA R&B disk jockey named The Magnificent Montague (one of the \"hey lawdy mama\"-type DJs who would shout encouragement to the singer over the records)--and I know damn well that unless a church group from Watts was in the audience that day, it would not show up on a \"MG\" Audience Match.[/quote]
So, Zach, do you know what the $250 and $500 answers were?

I can think of The Magnificent Seven (which I would guess was the $500 answer); The Magnificent Ambersons, an old Orson Welles movie; and The Magnificent Mile, Chicago's shopping district.

inturnaround

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2003, 02:23:03 PM »
Thanks for sharing that. I very much enjoyed it.

I wish there were more game show rarities online, though. Maybe one day...maybe one day. :)
Joe Coughlin     
Human

fjg5874

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2003, 02:37:29 PM »
Great look at what NBC was airing in 1975 for Game Shows, after all 1975 is known also as The Year of The Game Show.

Frank J. Genovay III
Trenton, NJ
http://community.webtv.net/FrankJGenovay/W...omeToFranksGAME

johnnya2k3

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2003, 03:42:38 PM »
Also on the site is a \"Love in the Afternoon\" promo from the same year, when NBC had FOUR soaps in their block (Days of our Lives, The Doctors, Another World, and its spinoff Somerset) instead of the two they have now (Days and Passions). Funny we'd notice that of those four soaps, only Days has managed to survive for so long.

\"Fun in the Morning\", \"Love in the Afternoon\"...don't get me started about the evening.

Jonathan Allen

zachhoran

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2003, 07:10:04 PM »
$500 was the Magnificent Seven, $250 was I think the Ambersons.

ITSBRY

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2003, 11:27:23 PM »
Many thanks to Kent and to Chris for posting the links to this file.  Very cool!!

and a frightening host (Byrnes).

You said a mouth full!  I saw this pilot recently and Byrnes was beyond atrocious.  He made Patrick Wayne look good and that's no exaggeration.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

ChuckNet

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2003, 12:20:51 PM »
I must admit, though, I kind of like the idea of letting money carry over to the next round even if you didn't solve.

This is actually what they do on the Australian version...however, if you hit a Bankrupt, you lose that money, whereas the money earned from winning a round is safeguarded.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Bbay\")

ChuckNet

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2003, 12:23:31 PM »
You said a mouth full! I saw this pilot recently and Byrnes was beyond atrocious. He made Patrick Wayne look good and that's no exaggeration.

And you could kinda tell he was drunk in the pilot clip shown on WoF's 3000th ep a few yrs ago...watch him as he says \"Spin that wheel...give it a good spin, Roseanne!\"

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

ITSBRY

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2003, 01:58:40 PM »
watch him as he says \"Spin that wheel...give it a good spin, Roseanne!\"

The best part of this pilot came at one point where a contestant decided to solve the puzzle and he yelled something like (he yells through the entire show, btw), \"What???  You're kidding me?  You're breaking my heart!  You could win soooo much money.\"  The contestant looks kind of flustered then says, \"well, OK\" and spins again.  Weird!

The guy is very creepy...like a slimey 70's swinger or something.  When the female players were shopping, he would stand uncomfortably close and kind of leer at them.  :)

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

Neumms

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2003, 02:29:53 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jul 2 2003, 11:20 AM\']
This is actually what they do on the Australian version...however, if you hit a Bankrupt, you lose that money, whereas the money earned from winning a round is safeguarded.

[/quote]
That's what I was thinking, too.

I don't remember that from the Aussie version, though when I was there I was flipping channels between that and Burgo's Catch Phrase. The thing that struck me was that for winning one round, all the contestant took home was a leaf blower.