Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1975 NBC "Fun in the Morning" GS promo discovered!  (Read 13237 times)

Kent Broyhill

1975 NBC "Fun in the Morning" GS promo discovered!
« on: June 30, 2003, 02:21:33 AM »
I ran across this downloadable video for NBC's \"Fun in the Morning\" game show promo (circa 1975; judging from the lineup) on The World of Soap Themes website. http://www.wost.org    This promo highlights NBC's (then) game show lineup; Celebrity Sweepstakes, Wheel of Fortune (with Chuck Woolery, includes a shot of Chuck standing behind an sideways-spinning wheel; perhaps from the second pilot that he hosted-- the first was hosted by Ed \"Kookie\" Byrnes formerly of 77 Sunset Strip), High Rollers (GREAT shot of Alex Trebek in front of the original number board!), Hollywood Squares (with Peter Marshall), Magnificent Marble Machine, and Jackpot (hosted by Geoff Edwards)!

Enclosed below is a download of this great promo:

http://www.wost.org/ffpromo2.ram

Enjoy!  :-)

vtown7

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 08:07:40 AM »
Neat!  Thanks for the link!

Cheers,

Ryan V.

Hiroland

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2003, 11:40:19 AM »
Yeah...seen that before...I would really like to have 1 day of that schedule...Always Wanted to see CS and Trebek HR, plus MMM would be interesting...Wouldnt mind shopping WOF(And The $50 and Buy A Vowel Spaces!), and HS is just a great classic!

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2003, 11:50:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Hiroland\' date=\'Jun 30 2003, 10:40 AM\'] Yeah...seen that before...I would really like to have 1 day of that schedule...Always Wanted to see CS and Trebek HR, plus MMM would be interesting...Wouldnt mind shopping WOF(And The $50 and Buy A Vowel Spaces!), and HS is just a great classic! [/quote]
 If you ever get to NYC or Beverly Hills, make a stop at the Museum of TV and Radio. You can find just about all those shows you mentioned (I think they have Marble Machine as well), and you can watch up to two hours worth, all for $10.

It's worth the investment. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Hiroland

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2003, 11:52:09 AM »
Where I live...it will take a LONG time to get to either...now an Atlanta or a Nashville Museum would be fine!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2003, 12:33:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Kent Broyhill\' date=\'Jun 29 2003, 11:21 PM\'] Enclosed below is a download of this great promo:
 [/quote]
Actually, what you posted is a link to the file. The file itself can be downloaded at:

http://www.wost.org/ffpromo2.rm

You should just be able to right-click on the above link and select Save Target As...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2003, 12:34:03 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2003, 03:13:31 PM »
Great download!

Was the sideways wheel just for the photo or was it on a pilot? And if it was ever used, where did they put the players?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2003, 04:18:08 PM »
I believe the sideways wheel was a part of the early pilots Peter Marshall describes in his book. IIRC, he said the set was done like French museum of some kind.

D'oh! Just checked the book, and he said the overhead camera shot was developed during that particular pilot. Randy A. way back when suggested the vertical wheel was a prop. It simply wasn't the regular wheel put upright since the spaces were done differently. Hmmm...

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

uncamark

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2003, 04:18:21 PM »
Was the sideways wheel just for the photo or was it on a pilot? And if it was ever used, where did they put the players?

I'm guessing that it was a promotional shot.  Those who've seen the first \"Shoppers' Bazaar\" pilot I believe can vouch that the wheel was in a position similar to the actual series--and, as has been documented, the problem with the first pilot wasn't the set--it was the host.

SplitSecond

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2003, 04:21:48 PM »
The sideways wheel still is from the Shopper's Bazaar pilot.  The other still in the promo is actually from the Wheel pilot with Edd Byrnes, and it appears that Edd's face was blurred out.

To my knowledge, Woolery never hosted a pilot under the Wheel of Fortune title.  He hosted at least one pilot for Shopper's Bazaar in 1973, while Byrnes hosted at least two pilots for Wheel of Fortune in 1974.

As for your staging question, Neumms, the wheel was upstage center (at 12 o'clock).  Chuck was positioned at a Dating Game-esque lectern at roughly 1 o'clock.  The contestants were seated in chairs at 3 o'clock, directly opposite the puzzle board (9 o'clock).  There was no hostess; the puzzle board consisted of pull cards (think the old Jeopardy! board, only smaller).  

Interestingly enough, there was a variation on the used letter board that was actually visible on camera; the very bottom row of the puzzle board would display any letters that were called, similar to a typical pen-and-paper game of Hangman.

The wheel was not spun by the contestants, but rather was in continuous motion.  The contestants would signal for Chuck to \"stop the wheel\", and Chuck would press a button that would interrupt the current that was keeping the wheel in motion.  The wheel would slow to a stop, and whatever was under the one singular pointer (think Star Wheel) was what the player would play for.

Two real anomalies on the wheel: a $0 space (where a contestant could keep her turn by calling an appropriate letter, but would earn no money for it) and a \"Your Own Clue\" space.  Your Own Clue allowed the player to pick up the clue phone on the table in front of them and hear (along with the studio audience, but not her opponents) whether the puzzle was a person, place, or thing, because that information wasn't given at the outset of the puzzle like on Wheel.

The shopping format was a little different.  Players selected the four prizes they wanted to play for before the show, and in which order.  If a player earned enough for prize #1 and solved the puzzle, that prize was won and the remaining money would be applied to prize #2, etc.  All money carried over to each subsequent puzzle (even by the contestants who didn't solve the previous puzzle), but the only way to apply that money toward the prizes a player selected would be for her to solve a puzzle.

The Wheel pilots had the format and set that we all grew to know and love, just with different music (similar in style to \"Big Wheels\", but very minor, detective drama-sounding) and a frightening host (Byrnes).

I don't have any record of Woolery hosting a Wheel of Fortune pilot, and it's entirely conceivable that when the decision to scrap Byrnes was made, Merv might have felt comfortable going straight to series with Woolery, given all the similarities between Bazaar and Wheel.  Can anyone back this up or refute it with something other than internet urban legend?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2003, 04:43:05 PM »
Now we finally get Chuck's joke about the \"Wheel\" pilots!

\"...we had people on telephones. It was bizarre!\"

Thanks SplitSecond, fascinating read! Sounds really cheap and odd. How was a winner determined? Prizes bought? Strategy would dictate putting cheap-o prizes at the top of your list so you could be ahead. But I'll just wait for your answer ;-p

-Jason

SplitSecond

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2003, 05:01:08 PM »
Your earlier quote about the set looking like a French museum is pretty accurate, Jason.

As for the prizes, it was a pilot so everything in that regard was staged, but I get the impression that how it would have worked out for series is that the players each choose one prize from among four levels.  On the pilot, the players did start working on the cheaper prizes first (which were actually at the bottom of their lists; they would work their way up).

The prize structure seemed very complex; in fact, Chuck would toss to the announcer (Michael _______?) to recap where the players stood with their prizes after each puzzle.

\"Darlene has all $750 she needs to buy that dining set and $400 toward her next prize, but she'll have to solve a puzzle to claim either of them.  Marlene's already won that $600 luggage set and has $600 built up on her way to that trip.  Harlene has $500 on the way to her first prize.\"

This was all recapped on an elaborate off-stage board - three columns of four squares each.  Each square contained an art card with the name and value of the prize, with a numeric display below each card displaying how much a contestant has earned toward that particular prize, as well as a star, indicating that the player has earned enough money to buy that prize and has then solved a puzzle.

That's the long way around to saying that yes, the winner is the person who has bought the most valuable prizes (cash built up toward any unclaimed prizes didn't count and probably wouldn't have been given to the contestants).

Neumms

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2003, 05:52:31 PM »
Thanks for all that history. Safe to say, the game got refined a lot.

I must admit, though, I kind of like the idea of letting money carry over to the next round even if you didn't solve. If they retained that when they moved to the familiar shopping format, they could simplify the game and lose \"on account.\" A player could opt to save their money, and it would just stay in the till in front of them.

A shopping question, then: why do you suppose, if a player elected to purchase something, they wouldn't let him or her spend part of their money and put the rest on account--why did they make them either bank all of it or just the spare change?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2003, 09:51:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Jun 30 2003, 02:52 PM\'] If they retained that when they moved to the familiar shopping format, they could simplify the game and lose "on account." [/quote]
 I would guess a lot of the reason that \"On Account\" existed was aesthetic...if they just kept the money on their scoreboard, they would be playing with uncomfortably un-round numbers fairly quickly. \"Five T's, you're up to $4,522.\" Works for Press Your Luck, does not work on WOF.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2003, 11:39:15 PM »
Sorry to innundate this thread with extra posts and more questions, but, was the \"Buy a Vowel\" space on the wheel part of the pilot? In that promo clip, I did see \"Free Spin\" distinctly, but no idea on really anything else ($350, $550 were among the values on the wheel, FYI)

-Jason