Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Last game show to offer a fur coat?  (Read 2277 times)

SuperMatch93

Last game show to offer a fur coat?
« on: August 03, 2020, 10:29:49 AM »
Although TPIR stopped offering them around '81 or so, several other shows continued offering them as prizes well into the 80s. Around when did that stop as a general practice, and what would have been the last show which anyone remembers giving them away?

-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

Re: Last game show to offer a fur coat?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 10:31:51 AM »
I’ve seen quite a few on the mid-80s LMAD. Can’t think of anything after that. By the end of the decade, there was a lot of awareness and controversy regarding furs.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

colonial

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 10:38:21 AM »
I seem to recall the 80s version of "Split Second" offering furs as consolation prizes in the bonus game from time to time, so furs were offered as prizes as late as 1987.

JD

Trisscope

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 10:39:21 AM »
I've seen episodes of Wheel as late as February 1990 offering furs; it wouldn't surprise me if that was the last show that gave them away.

snowpeck

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 03:44:42 PM »
I've seen episodes of Wheel as late as February 1990 offering furs; it wouldn't surprise me if that was the last show that gave them away.

Correct, Wheel stopped offering furs after the 1989-90 season and it made entertainment news at the time. Wheel was under a lot of pressure from PETA to stop giving away furs. Even Paul and Linda McCartney got in on it. They finally gave in after sponsor John Paul Mitchell Systems threatened to pull their advertising. After Wheel made the announcement, USA Today quoted PETA as saying there are no more major game shows on the air giving away furs.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 03:51:33 PM »
I think USA Today got it right there. Only other show that came to mind was Top Card, which had a fur as a bonus round prize in 1989 before the switch to all cars.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 06:25:03 PM »
I seem to recall the 80s version of "Split Second" offering furs as consolation prizes in the bonus game from time to time, so furs were offered as prizes as late as 1987.
Forgot about SS. Even though Wheel seems to be the right answer, I do believe Wink's HR offered them as well.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 06:47:36 PM »
Forgot about SS. Even though Wheel seems to be the right answer, I do believe Wink's HR offered them as well.

Didn’t they actually have one of those wacky mini games centered around whether or not one was a certain kind of fur?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 07:05:36 PM »
Yes, named Rabbit Test.
Travis L. Eberle

jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 03:09:55 PM »

Correct, Wheel stopped offering furs after the 1989-90 season and it made entertainment news at the time. Wheel was under a lot of pressure from PETA to stop giving away furs. Even Paul and Linda McCartney got in on it. They finally gave in after sponsor John Paul Mitchell Systems threatened to pull their advertising. After Wheel made the announcement, USA Today quoted PETA as saying there are no more major game shows on the air giving away furs.

John Paul Mitchell Systems being a very strong advocate of animal rights, of course, so it was only natural that the protest it.