Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Multiple ways for the champ to lose?  (Read 2507 times)

Casey

Multiple ways for the champ to lose?
« on: August 01, 2020, 01:13:09 PM »
I’ve been watching Scrabble lately, and it made me think about this topic.  The champion on Scrabble (at least in the last format) could lose either the crossword game or the Scrabble Sprint round and leave the show.  Are there other shows where the champ can be defeated more than one way?  I couldn’t think of any but there must be more than one.  I guess you could make the case for 3 way $0 ties on Jeopardy! but that wasn’t exactly the thought I had in mind.

alfonzos

Re: Multiple ways for the champ to lose?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 01:34:42 PM »
The format of "Password" was tinkered with in 1975 so that the civilian champion would join three other players on stage as the celebrities gave clues to very simple passwords. The civilians would buzz in to guess. Two correct guesses, later three, would allow the player to play classic Password. The current champion could be eliminated from play here or lose playing the classic game. The best thing about this version of the game was its theme, IMHO.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 02:56:44 PM »
I thought of Bicentennial Password, but Lange Lifetime had two ways to not come back tomorrow.
Travis L. Eberle

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 03:42:13 PM »
Master Minds/Best Ever Trivia Show has a bit of that, too.
This signature is currently under construction.

Mr. Matté

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 04:08:51 PM »
The current champion could be eliminated from play here or lose playing the classic game.

I think the loser of the classic Password game was brought back to the qualifying round table in the next match.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 04:40:54 PM »
Sale of the Century did but only if you got to the car in the Winner’s Big Money Game and didn’t get it.

I’m operating under the assumption that for the sake of discussion we’re not counting shows that eliminate a contestant after a round of play, such as Joker 90 or the first Jeopardy revival?

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SuperMatch93

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 04:54:41 PM »
Didn't you retire from the daytime Name That Tune if you lost the Golden Medley?
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 05:18:04 PM »
Didn't you retire from the daytime Name That Tune if you lost the Golden Medley?

According to Wiki, yes; it was when the Medley was five tunes to win.

Would have liked to find a better source but the only other one I went to was Curt Alliaume’s now-archived site and it wasn’t a lot of help (although I don’t blame Curt for that, because it barely qualified as a 1975 game show as it joined Winning Streak and Jeopardy on the cancel boat and if I’m not mistaken, much of it doesn’t exist anyway).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Neumms

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 04:06:55 PM »
I think the loser of the classic Password game was brought back to the qualifying round table in the next match.

In the Betty White/Vicki Laurence episode in which the Big Money Lightning Round ended at $0, both players went back to the table.

That Don Guy

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 03:20:41 PM »
The current champion could be eliminated from play here or lose playing the classic game.

This is how I remembered it as well.

A couple I can think of:

$1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime - if the champions lost to their opponents, or did not win the bonus round.

Winning Streak - in the version where the champion played the head-to-head game, the champion could lose there, lose by getting a zero in the "Winning Streak" round, or lose the subsequent "showdown."

tyshaun1

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 07:59:22 PM »
Press Your Luck/Second Chance: Get 4 whammies/devils or not earn enough money during the game.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 08:43:46 PM »
That just means you didn’t win. That’s just like Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune or Card Sharks.
Travis L. Eberle

That Don Guy

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 03:21:34 PM »

According to Wiki, yes; it was when the Medley was five tunes to win.

Would have liked to find a better source but the only other one I went to was Curt Alliaume’s now-archived site and it wasn’t a lot of help (although I don’t blame Curt for that, because it barely qualified as a 1975 game show as it joined Winning Streak and Jeopardy on the cancel boat and if I’m not mistaken, much of it doesn’t exist anyway).

The Dennis James version of NTT originally required six tunes to win the Golden Medley, but the contestant came back the next day, win or lose (and five wins meant the contestant won a car and retired); near the end of the run, it was five tunes, and four days to win the car, but as noted, if the contestant didn't win the Golden Medley at any point, they did not return the next day. One thing I remember about the next-to-last episode was, the winning contestant was told that if she won the Golden Medley, she would return against a challenger, but if she didn't, two celebrities would play instead.