Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic Concentration oddity (Buzzr 7/18 episode)  (Read 2799 times)

BrandonFG

Classic Concentration oddity (Buzzr 7/18 episode)
« on: July 18, 2020, 04:47:04 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen this happen, on either the Trebek or Narz versions.

I'm watching one of the Saturday reruns on Buzzr. The puzzle is "Too Good to be True", and it came down to the last set of matching prizes. With the board completely clear, the first contestant guessed incorrectly. Her opponent then got a chance to guess, and was also wrong.

Alex begins to explain the symbols on the top part of the puzzle, prompting the second contestant to buzz in and finally guess the puzzle. Has this ever happened before? I would think they would've thrown the puzzle out, start a new match, or just edit out the match altogether.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

snowpeck

Re: Classic Concentration oddity (Buzzr 7/18 episode)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 04:50:17 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen this happen, on either the Trebek or Narz versions.

I'm watching one of the Saturday reruns on Buzzr. The puzzle is "Too Good to be True", and it came down to the last set of matching prizes. With the board completely clear, the first contestant guessed incorrectly. Her opponent then got a chance to guess, and was also wrong.

Alex begins to explain the symbols on the top part of the puzzle, prompting the second contestant to buzz in and finally guess the puzzle. Has this ever happened before? I would think they would've thrown the puzzle out, start a new match, or just edit out the match altogether.

I've seen that happen several times on the Trebek version.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 05:19:12 PM »
It's definitely happened before.  One incident I remember from my youth involved the puzzle "Chariots of Fire."  This was from 1987, and BUZZR has aired it a number of times.

BillCullen1

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 09:01:56 PM »
Alex broke down several puzzles over the years when both players were stumped. They didn't do that on the Narz version. If that happened today, they would probably edit it out.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 08:16:05 AM »
On Friday's Narz episode, neither player could solve the second puzzle (even given two attempts) once it was fully revealed, and that was the end of it. The answer: "Bringing coals to Newcastle."

JMFabiano

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 11:39:44 AM »
Alex broke down several puzzles over the years when both players were stumped. They didn't do that on the Narz version. If that happened today, they would probably edit it out.

Yeah I think that was standard approach when they built to sudden death.  Time's up, so they reveal the puzzle number by number.  If neither contestant can solve when it's all revealed, Alex does the readout until someone can. 

CC did give more shortcuts to help players, between this and wild card matches including the natural match being revealed too. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Bryce L.

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 11:57:09 AM »
CC did give more shortcuts to help players, between this and wild card matches including the natural match being revealed too.
That and I don't think I've ever seen a CC puzzle take up more than two "lines" of symbols on the board, whereas it seems we regularly see three-line puzzles on the Narz shows (and I think I've seen a four-line puzzle at least once or twice).

Fedya

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 01:55:29 PM »
I thought I saw CC have three lines of symbols on a recent Buzzr episode with GO AHEAD, MAKE MY DAY, with [May + K] being alone on the middle line.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Neumms

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 12:47:57 AM »
The players are the ones who look stupid, but really, it’s not a very good rebus if it doesn’t communicate what it’s meant to communicate. They should edit it out. I feel the same about Password Puzzles—if four players, two of whom have likely been on before, can’t figure it out, it’s on the puzzle maker.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 08:42:52 AM »
Was it possible to win two of the same prize on Narz Concentraction by matching both copies of the same prize with Wild Cards?  There was a game yesterday where both contestants had the same prize on their board because of this and wondered if it worked that way if the same player made both matches (or if either player in this game later matched a Take).

chad1m

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 08:50:37 AM »
Was it possible to win two of the same prize on Narz Concentraction by matching both copies of the same prize with Wild Cards?  There was a game yesterday where both contestants had the same prize on their board because of this and wondered if it worked that way if the same player made both matches (or if either player in this game later matched a Take).
From what I've heard others say, yes. That's what the square next to a prize on the tally board would indicate - a duplicate prize.

Casey

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 09:48:02 AM »
I swear I’ve heard Gene Wood, at least once, say at the end of an episode that “Because neither player solved the first puzzle, the puzzle was replaced and the program edited” in typical NBC fashion.  I’m not sure how you get to that point if Alex has explained all the symbols, but I’m positive I’ve heard such a disclaimer.

Thunder

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 03:51:53 PM »
I clearly remember both contestants whiffing on a "BUY AMERICAN" puzzle with their guesses.

So Alex goes to the screen and slowly starts explaining the pieces of the rebus, and there's no response from the contestants. Alex gets to the end of the rebus, pauses a few seconds and you can see the "OH COME ON" look. Then it gets funnier with him saying and almost yelling "BYE! A! MARY! CAN! PUT ALL OF THAT TOGETHER!".

I would love to see that one again.