Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Super Millionaire Phone Game Starts Tonight  (Read 29478 times)

mcd

Super Millionaire Phone Game Starts Tonight
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2004, 02:31:00 AM »
Blew it on #2 myself.

"Put the following magazines in the order they first debuted"

1 - TV Guide
2 - Rosie
3 - Good Housekeeping
4 - Wired

I knew that Good Housekeeping and TV Guide were going to a problem.  I blindly guessed 1-3-2-4.

Nope, 3-1-2-4.

ShoeHorn

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2004, 02:59:06 AM »
[quote name=\'BrentW\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 09:31 PM\'] Well, I finally got approved to be on this board.  :)  Hello to all.  

I blew it on the first question.  LOL  but my boyfriend answered all 5 and qualified on the first shot.  We picked the first tape date.  Now all we have to do is beat 10,000 to 1 odds that they actually call him.  :)  At least there's no second qualification this time.   If we get the call on Thursday, I'll post.  Btw, did anyone see me on Dateline NBC on Friday night?  ;)

-Brent (Brad) [/quote]
 I think the odds are 1 in 1096 if you fiddle with the numbers they give in the rules. Maybe I'm wrong, but those are great enough odds for me.

Your odds are even better when you consider of the 1096, a good portion of them won't answer the phone in time.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2004, 03:13:02 AM »
[quote name=\'mcd\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 12:31 AM\'] Blew it on #2 myself.

"Put the following magazines in the order they first debuted"

1 - TV Guide
2 - Rosie
3 - Good Housekeeping
4 - Wired

I knew that Good Housekeeping and TV Guide were going to a problem.  I blindly guessed 1-3-2-4.

Nope, 3-1-2-4. [/quote]
Actually, your problem is (at least) that Wired came out long before Rosie. (Sure, it was, what, McCall's? before, but it debuted AS ROSIE just in the last couple years, and Wired's been around a decade.) So your string should end 4-2.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 03:13:38 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2004, 04:56:30 AM »
I can see why I didn't bother to qualify last night.  Some of the questions I saw here I couldn't figure out anyway.  Oh well!  Better luck later tonight Invisioners!

clemon79

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2004, 05:14:09 AM »
[quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 07:34 PM\'] Supposedly missed a Roy Rogers question here. I forget what his nickname was, The King of (something) ...I entered 1324 and know I was right but it said I wasn't. Anyways, it was my first question. Oh well, try again Tuesday. [/quote]
 You KNOW you were right? ABSOLUTELY sure?

Man, I'd suggest doing at least a modicum of homework before whining in a public forum that the game screwed you, because the VERY FIRST HIT on Google searching on "roy rogers nickname" returns "King Of The Cowboys" in the sample text.

Good luck tomorrow! :)

clemon79

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2004, 05:23:48 AM »
[quote name=\'TraderRob\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 11:26 PM\'] The question had to do put the following groups in chronological order of when they had their first #1 hit:

1) Wilson Phillips
2) Boyz II Men
3) Aerosmith
4) Culture Club

I answered 3-4-1-2 because I figured Aerosmith had a #1 hit back in the 70's and I know that Wilson Phillips were #1 with Hold On in 1990 before Boyz II Men came around in 1991.  But I'm starting to think that maybe Aerosmith didn't get a #1 hit until after Culture Club...
 [/quote]
 Yeah, you really got screwed...Aerosmith's first #1 hit was "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" from the _Armageddon_ soundtrack, in 1998, so the proper sequence is 4-1-2-3.

beatlefreak84

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2004, 08:57:09 AM »
Well, at least most of you made it past question #1; I can't even say that!

However, a friend of mine called about two hours after I did and I not only knew her first question but her second (the one she missed out on)!  AAAAHHHHH!  Who'd have known that an automated phone test would be so nervewracking?  :)

Just for kicks, here was my question:

Put the following words in order to form a popular environmental phrase:

1.  Locally
2.  Globally
3.  Act
4.  Think

I punched in 3-1-4-2.  BZZZZ!  As my friend told me, I should've done 4-2-3-1.  Stupid phrase (well, now I'll never forget it!).

Better luck tonight (I hope; I can't do much worse!),

Anthony
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 06:06:38 PM by beatlefreak84 »
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

mcd

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2004, 11:36:35 AM »
Actually, your problem is (at least) that Wired came out long before Rosie. (Sure, it was, what, McCall's? before, but it debuted AS ROSIE just in the last couple years, and Wired's been around a decade.) So your string should end 4-2.

Ah, yes!  You are correct, fine sir.

I did put Wired before Rosie when I played the game though.  As a techgeek, I had some reasonable idea when Wired came out.  :-)  My problem lied in the fact that I forgot how long Good Housekeeping has been around for and I simply blanked.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 11:37:28 AM by mcd »

uncamark

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2004, 12:02:29 PM »
Second question.  Put playing cards in order of value in blackjack, from high to low (ace was in the choices).  Something anyone who's watched "Gambit" would know.  I press the on-off buttons above the numbers on my cordless phone keypad instead of the numbers.  I screw myself.  Wonderful.

At least there's tonight.

zachhoran

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2004, 12:34:40 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 12:02 PM\'] Second question.  Put playing cards in order of value in blackjack, from high to low (ace was in the choices).  Something anyone who's watched "Gambit" would know.  I press the on-off buttons above the numbers on my cordless phone keypad instead of the numbers.  I screw myself.  Wonderful.

At least there's tonight. [/quote]
 WHich would be their correct answer? I assume the answer with Ace as 11 points, but an Ace technically is worth one or eleven.

uncamark

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2004, 12:47:26 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 12:34 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 12:02 PM\'] Second question.  Put playing cards in order of value in blackjack, from high to low (ace was in the choices).  Something anyone who's watched "Gambit" would know.  I press the on-off buttons above the numbers on my cordless phone keypad instead of the numbers.  I screw myself.  Wonderful.

At least there's tonight. [/quote]
WHich would be their correct answer? I assume the answer with Ace as 11 points, but an Ace technically is worth one or eleven.[/quote]
The ace button was the first button *I* intended to hit.

The other cards were a jack and two number cards.

uncrph90

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2004, 04:39:36 PM »
Hi All,

Been lurking awhile, but new Millionaire is enough to get me posting.  I washed out on my second question (put several novels in order including Ann of Green Gables and Wuthering Heights), but my wife zipped right through hers.

Slightly off topic--I see several of the group have been in the hot seat and are ineligible--but how many of us have been to the Fastest Finger and never been seated.  I'm really hoping the 3rd time will be the charm for me.

Good Luck.  

Bill

beatlefreak84

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2004, 06:11:06 PM »
WHich would be their correct answer? I assume the answer with Ace as 11 points, but an Ace technically is worth one or eleven.

For the Blackjack cards, the correct answer would be to assume that the Ace is indeed 1 since it has to be the player's decree to make the card 11, and it can only be done if the score is 10 or less (obviously).  So, your notion of typing in ace first, Mark, would've been correct since this is the card's value if no decree is made.

Man; wish I had this question!  :)  Good luck to y'all tonight!

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Clay Zambo

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2004, 06:20:28 PM »
Well, y'all got way farther than I did...boneheadedly, I forgot to call!

Good luck tonight, all.
czambo@mac.com

zachhoran

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2004, 07:11:31 PM »
And on day two, I misplayed on an easy question three, forgetting how often Old Faithful erupts.