Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barker TPIR coming to Pluto TV 12/1/20 (Confirmed)  (Read 100634 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Barker TPIR coming to Pluto TV 12/1/20 (Confirmed)
« Reply #285 on: May 21, 2022, 02:51:10 PM »
Not to in any way diminish what Barker said (I posted a few things back in 2020), but I’m surprised that hosts were still so casually sexist even in the mid-80s, as women has long proven they were more than just housewives or eye candy. I’ve seen it on a few shows of the era where the hosts are dismissive or talk to female contestants like they’re five.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Sodboy13

« Reply #286 on: May 22, 2022, 12:06:36 AM »
A decade prior, but Jack Narz constantly refers to the adult female contestants as "girls" on Now You See It.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #287 on: May 22, 2022, 12:14:01 AM »
Not to in any way diminish what Barker said (I posted a few things back in 2020), but I’m surprised that hosts were still so casually sexist even in the mid-80s, as women has long proven they were more than just housewives or eye candy. I’ve seen it on a few shows of the era where the hosts are dismissive or talk to female contestants like they’re five.
I think we have to view these shows with a backward-eye and know that times change and mores change and decide whether to enjoy it or not.

/the women were certainly lining up to win a car, trip or thousands in cash, not that it excuses ol' Bob.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #288 on: May 22, 2022, 12:30:15 AM »
Of course, and I'm never one to huff and puff over what was said on an old TV show. Different era, etc.

Still makes me raise an eyebrow at times, looking at it through a 2022 lens.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvmitch

« Reply #289 on: May 22, 2022, 09:09:05 AM »
While growing up and watching lots of 80s daytime shows, I remember my Mom did not like Barker at all. She didn't mind the other game shows (except that PYL was too loud!) - but she just didn't like Barker. Watching these episodes from this era, I can see why.

Must have been an interesting dynamic between Barker and the rest of them during this time. Given the ratings, Barker probably felt like he could get away with it. Can't think of any other hosts of the era that were as overt with comments like this.
You should follow me on Twitter

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #290 on: May 22, 2022, 10:45:59 AM »
Allen Ludden?
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #291 on: May 22, 2022, 12:14:25 PM »
While growing up and watching lots of 80s daytime shows, I remember my Mom did not like Barker at all. She didn't mind the other game shows (except that PYL was too loud!) - but she just didn't like Barker. Watching these episodes from this era, I can see why.

Must have been an interesting dynamic between Barker and the rest of them during this time. Given the ratings, Barker probably felt like he could get away with it. Can't think of any other hosts of the era that were as overt with comments like this.
Most hosts were like this. Gene "Pretty Dimples" Rayburn, Richard "The Kissing Bandit" Dawson, Allen "Hi Doll" Ludden......
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chargeradiocom

« Reply #292 on: May 22, 2022, 01:28:17 PM »

Most hosts were like this. Gene "Pretty Dimples" Rayburn, Richard "The Kissing Bandit" Dawson, Allen "Hi Doll" Ludden......
I hear you, and I think those guys were relics of their time. But Dawson did his kissing with consent, and Ludden was always respectful of female contestants on camera as I can recall, the “doll” thing notwithstanding. Neither of them were as blatantly disrespectful as Barker could be at times. I’ll grant you Rayburn.

Casey

« Reply #293 on: May 22, 2022, 02:14:04 PM »

How many people did Allen Ludden say "Hi Doll" to, aside from his mother-in-law?

Unrealtor

« Reply #294 on: May 22, 2022, 03:44:10 PM »

I hear you, and I think those guys were relics of their time. But Dawson did his kissing with consent, and Ludden was always respectful of female contestants on camera as I can recall, the “doll” thing notwithstanding. Neither of them were as blatantly disrespectful as Barker could be at times. I’ll grant you Rayburn.

Let's also remember that "Doll" was Allen's nickname for Betty's mother, so I'd consider it very different from the other examples since it's directed at a specific person who he knows well. Also, I don't think Betty would let him get away with much.

I try to separate things that were done without negative intent but aren't OK by modern standards from the overt prejudice or abuse of power that you could get away with at the time because the people who it was directed against didn't have enough social clout to put a stop to it. I'd put Jack Narz calling adult women "girls" in the former category, Richard Dawson's kisses and Gene Rayburn's lechery somewhere in between, and a lot of Barker's on- and off-camera behavior into the latter category.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #295 on: May 22, 2022, 03:45:44 PM »

How many people did Allen Ludden say "Hi Doll" to, aside from his mother-in-law?
To people who did not know the background, the daytime audience.

chargeradiocom

« Reply #296 on: May 22, 2022, 04:05:55 PM »

Let's also remember that "Doll" was Allen's nickname for Betty's mother, so I'd consider it very different from the other examples since it's directed at a specific person who he knows well. Also, I don't think Betty would let him get away with much.

I try to separate things that were done without negative intent but aren't OK by modern standards from the overt prejudice or abuse of power that you could get away with at the time because the people who it was directed against didn't have enough social clout to put a stop to it. I'd put Jack Narz calling adult women "girls" in the former category, Richard Dawson's kisses and Gene Rayburn's lechery somewhere in between, and a lot of Barker's on- and off-camera behavior into the latter category.
Agreed. The only thing where I might quibble with your categorizations is that I’d probably put Rayburn a few steps ahead of Dawson on the scale, since Dawson’s kissing seemingly was consensual and much of Rayburn’s activity seemingly wasn’t. But otherwise, I think you and I are totally in agreement.

Casey

« Reply #297 on: May 22, 2022, 05:53:49 PM »

Good lord...

Bryce L.

« Reply #298 on: May 22, 2022, 06:18:33 PM »

Good lord...
Don't bring Him into it...

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #299 on: May 22, 2022, 06:28:06 PM »

Good lord...
It does sound crazy, but it was a violation of FCC rules of the time to do shout-outs to individuals.  If something was being broadcast, it had to be to the total audience.