Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barker TPIR coming to Pluto TV 12/1/20 (Confirmed)  (Read 100613 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Barker TPIR coming to Pluto TV 12/1/20 (Confirmed)
« Reply #180 on: February 26, 2021, 09:38:38 AM »
Non-game show related, but one thing I noticed over the past week or so in watching the "Family Ties" and "Love Boat" channel is that it tends to repeat segments. For example, I watched the end of a Love Boat episode (last scenes and credits), then it played the whole sequence again.
This happens quite a bit. They showed the movie Top Secret a few months ago, and the same thing happened. They repeated the previous ten minutes.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BrandonFG

« Reply #181 on: February 26, 2021, 09:43:04 AM »
So we're officially into season 12? The Pluto channel's Youtube posted a clip from The Phone Home Game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weNiEd9LweM&ab_channel=ThePriceIsRight%3ATheBarkerEra
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #182 on: February 26, 2021, 09:51:16 AM »
So we're officially into season 12? The Pluto channel's Youtube posted a clip from The Phone Home Game.

Today's episodes (presumably ten episodes to round out the promised 100 for Cycle 2) take us, assuming no skips, three episodes into season 12 -- including the first two playings of Phone Home Game.

It also means that, even if there are no skips whatsoever, the tail end of Cycle 3 in a couple months will just take us into a part of the run that GSN never aired either.  Except for one Christmas '84 ep, GSN didn't air the daytime run at all from 2/10/84 until the end of season 14 in summer '86. (2/9/84 was the last show they aired before dropping it in 2000, while Season 15 (9/86) was one of their start points when they first got the show and aired a different season every day).

No skips in a 100 ep cycle 3 would see 2/10 and 2/13 airing for the first time since the 80s (plus anything after that that aired due to skips), while cycles 4+, assuming they stay in order, would have us in completely new reruns for approximately the next 500 episodes.

Allstar87

« Reply #183 on: February 26, 2021, 10:31:04 AM »
They did air a VERY small number of episodes from seasons 13 and 14, but only as part of Win-TV. The three I'm aware of are 9/25/84, 10/9/84, and the 9/9/85 14th season premiere.

It'll be nice to see them without a crunched picture and poorly researched trivia questions in the corner!

Clay Zambo

« Reply #184 on: February 26, 2021, 11:08:04 AM »

No skips in a 100 ep cycle 3 would see 2/10 and 2/13 airing for the first time since the 80s (plus anything after that that aired due to skips), while cycles 4+, assuming they stay in order, would have us in completely new reruns for approximately the next 500 episodes.

I know what you are saying, but the phrase "completely new reruns" amuses the heck out of me.
czambo@mac.com

Mr. Matté

« Reply #185 on: February 26, 2021, 11:36:15 AM »
It also means that, even if there are no skips whatsoever, the tail end of Cycle 3 in a couple months will just take us into a part of the run that GSN never aired either.  Except for one Christmas '84 ep, GSN didn't air the daytime run at all from 2/10/84 until the end of season 14 in summer '86. (2/9/84 was the last show they aired before dropping it in 2000, while Season 15 (9/86) was one of their start points when they first got the show and aired a different season every day).

Based on your calcs, would these new cycles possibly include the time of the new announcer tryouts after Johnny's death?

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #186 on: February 26, 2021, 01:05:10 PM »
Based on your calcs, would these new cycles possibly include the time of the new announcer tryouts after Johnny's death?

I mean assuming they stay in order and keep adding new episodes, they'll get there eventually.  But they've covered right at 1 year so far (9/82 to 9/83) and that's another 2 years and a month away (10/85) so it's going to be a little while. Each season from this point forward is between 185-200 shows all the way to the end of the 80s, so every two cycles of new episodes, staying in order, would cover just slightly more than a year.

Sodboy13

« Reply #187 on: February 26, 2021, 03:03:37 PM »
Do we know for a fact that they're going to keep rolling in new cycles of episodes? It's awesome that we've gotten 200 hours of content built up in less than three months, but as others have pointed out, that's been more than enough content for other Pluto channels to just keep looping indefinitely.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #188 on: February 26, 2021, 03:09:17 PM »
Do we know for a fact that they're going to keep rolling in new cycles of episodes? It's awesome that we've gotten 200 hours of content built up in less than three months, but as others have pointed out, that's been more than enough content for other Pluto channels to just keep looping indefinitely.

One worthwhile difference is who actually runs the channel.  The Barker TPiR channel is very definitely a Fremantle baby.  Functionally speaking, the TPiR Channel is basically a Pluto-exclusive Buzzr 2 that runs nothing but Barker TPiR. I don't expect add-ons (or dropoffs) to be routine, but there isn't a show on Buzzr that doesn't get refreshed at least occasionally, so my guess and presumption is that they're going to get 200-300 episodes into full rotation, and then start dropping older episodes from the loop as they add newer ones. (In much the same way that Press Your Luck '83 or the first ~100 episodes of Super Password almost never turn up on Buzzr anymore).

thomas_meighan

« Reply #189 on: February 26, 2021, 06:20:25 PM »
I wonder how they’ll handle the 30-minute daytime episodes that were produced to accommodate the Pillsbury contests biennially from 1984-94. Skip them? Air them twice in an hour so as not to throw off the schedule? Air them once and let the shows start on the half-hour for a while?

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #190 on: February 26, 2021, 06:39:33 PM »
Honestly, since whatever contracts that set this thing up clearly allow footage on social & youtube, and since Fremantle does it all the time with other shows (beyond just themed postings, also eps w/ tape damage and the B&W shows with tobacco sponsorship), I could absolutely see their posting the ep as a web exclusive to social and/or YT

snowpeck

« Reply #191 on: February 26, 2021, 08:24:00 PM »
They did air a VERY small number of episodes from seasons 13 and 14, but only as part of Win-TV. The three I'm aware of are 9/25/84, 10/9/84, and the 9/9/85 14th season premiere.

It'll be nice to see them without a crunched picture and poorly researched trivia questions in the corner!

I have a couple others from around Christmas 1984, as well as the 10/1/84 episode, which has an unconfirmed lineup (grayed out) on the Golden Road calendar. They're all full screen from the early days of GSN.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #192 on: February 26, 2021, 10:07:41 PM »
I have a couple others from around Christmas 1984, as well as the 10/1/84 episode, which has an unconfirmed lineup (grayed out) on the Golden Road calendar.

Holy crap, you do?  Please, for the love of God, give me the lineup -- I don't even know one of the games on that episode.

snowpeck

« Reply #193 on: February 26, 2021, 10:56:19 PM »
I have a couple others from around Christmas 1984, as well as the 10/1/84 episode, which has an unconfirmed lineup (grayed out) on the Golden Road calendar.

Holy crap, you do?  Please, for the love of God, give me the lineup -- I don't even know one of the games on that episode.

Squeeze Play/Safe Crackers/Hole in One/Danger Price/Cliff Hangers/Money Game.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #194 on: February 27, 2021, 12:37:46 AM »
Squeeze Play/Safe Crackers/Hole in One/Danger Price/Cliff Hangers/Money Game.

Is there a way to confirm that this is definitely October 1 and not November 8?  There are some mistakes in the pricing game records in that week of November, and one of the possible game combos they could result in is that set.  A couple things I can think of that might narrow it down are the color of the opening titles and whether the Big Wheel's scoreboard is sportstype or vane.

Thanks in advance for checking this.  I know it's a pain in the ass.